PDA

View Full Version : Snap vs. Clip style Baby Bjorn

daisymommy
06-21-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm going to buy a BB off ebay this week, but am confused about the pros/cons of the older (and cheaper) snap style of BB vs. the newer (more expensive) clip style. I tried the clip style in BRU and it was nice, but I have nothing to compare it to. Are the snaps safe adn easy to use? DH is already having a fit because we recieved a snugli carrier for my shower, and I want to return it to pay twice as much for a BB. I'm slowly convincing him a BB is better (and will be more used), but the less I spend on it, the better at this point! If the snaps will suffice, please let me know ASAP so I can bid today! But if the clips are safer and much easier, please explain why. Thanks! P.S. If I bought a Navy Tartan Plad carrier and XL navy straps (also on ebay) would they match? Or do I need to buy Tartan Plad straps too?

23Tam
06-21-2002, 10:28 AM
I have the Navy Tartan snap style XL carrier. The straps are navy on it, and as far as I know, the XL straps pretty much only come in Navy and Black, so they'll match just fine :)

As for safety, as long as the carrier has the lower leg loops for smaller babies, it is safe. The snaps are a convenience thing, and here's why. They are nice and tight and stiff. Great for holding baby in, BUT, you run the risk of waking the baby when you put them down because you are fussing trying to get the snap undone. And being a snap, it makes a snap noise :) The button/loop on the newer ones is quieter and easier to use one handed.

So....the newer one is nice to have, but not essential. But ditch the snuggli. I am 6', and could never wear it. The XL straps on a bjorn were a necessity due to my long torso unless I wanted the baby up under my chin. You should be able to look down slightly and kiss their head, not use them as a chin rest :) Also, I got my bjorn used as well, and it was in perfect condition. The carriers really hold up well when taken care of properly. And it got a LOT of use with my first, and is still ready to go for my second :) I think the woman before me had 1, so it's heading for baby three. I guess if I was buying it for the first time, I'd try to get one of the newer ones just because it is a little easier to use, but I am perfectly happy with the one I have and it definitely isn't worth it to me to replace it. Hope this helps make your decision a little easier. Good luck!

Tam
edd 9/4/02
dd 1/26/01

suzska
06-21-2002, 12:39 PM
I did the same thing. Well, returned the Snugli I got as a shower gift (to TRU without a problem in not having a receipt) and bought the BB at BRU (so big price difference!). I have the Navy Tartan Plaid. The Navy straps should be just fine. Black would look weird. I must say we didn't use the BB as much as we thought we would. Maybe if there's a #2 and I have to be chasing after #1. I don't know what the snaps are like vs. the clips. But as far as I know they just redesigned them to make them easier to use, and not necessarily safer.

laura_winckler
06-23-2002, 08:36 PM
I haven't tried the newer BB, but my old model with the snaps is very difficult to snap. There were times when I thought that I either wouldn't be able to get my baby snapped in, or worse, wouldn't be able to get him back out without help. I've considered buying a new one for my expected child, but haven't decided to lay out the cash again.

daisymommy
06-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks everybody for your help and insight. You'll LOL when you hear I bought one of EACH type off ebay :7 so that I could try them out and then resell the one I liked least. When DH saw how they were selling like hotcakes at top prices, he actually encouraged me to do this...can you believe it??? Now he's into the whole Bjorn idea and thinks maybe I can make a profit off whichever one I resell! Ha! What a difference! I ended up getting 2 brand new Denim XL BB, one in snap style, one in new clip style. I paid $44 and $51 for them. YEEAAH for ebay bargains! Oh yes, I returned the awful Snugli carrier which felt like I had on an armoured vest smack up underneath my chin--and thats without baby in it!

laura_winckler
07-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Be sure and post which of the two styles you prefer once you get a chance to find out. I'm anxious to see what you think!

jojo2324
07-24-2002, 09:30 PM
You know, I was just thinking about this today as I was struggling (alone) to get my three week old in the BB. I found it was a real pain to get the buttons through the holes...I thought I was going to drop him and I was thinking that buttons would be so much easier. I guess it's difficult either way.

egoldber
07-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Once your baby is (I think) 11 pounds, you don't need to use the buttons at the leg openings anymore, just the top ones. It says somewhere in the manual what that weight is. I just remember being SO relieved, not having to do those buttons anymore.

HTH,

daisymommy
07-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Sorry this is so much later...I forgot about this post! I much prefer the newer style with the side "slide clips" and buttons. The little T bar things through teh rings were pretty difficult(IMO)- and that's without a baby in the carrier! Also, the snaps were indeed stiff and secure, but difficult to snap shut and pull apart (and noisy) as well. I'm just thinking that there is no way my baby would still be asleep after undoing the carrier after all that. I plan on selling the older style (but brand new) BB on ebay this week. I hope I can still get back what I paid for it ($51).

hipmaman
07-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Funny how we all are when we have choices, eh? These posts just gave me a few chuckles, that's all... ;)

I have both kids in the old style BB with the snaps and it was never a problem with putting it on, wearing it, taking it off, etc. And there was not really a 'snap' noise, imo, to wake my kids up.

Really, when I bought my BB in late '99, it was the best front carrier out there comparing to other carriers, so we were all happy.

But now with the 2000 BB, I thought to myself, if and when the 3rd baby comes, I should look into getting the new style, lol. Otherwise, I'll look dated, lol :);)