PDA

View Full Version : Combi Ultra Savvy 2002

rebekah
06-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have any opinions regarding the new combi ultra savvy that came out this year? I know the features are different from the 2001 model and I would like to find out if this is a good stroller to buy. I will be having our first baby in September and would like to use the perfect match system on this stroller with the infant car seat. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.:D

rebecca0213
06-28-2002, 08:24 AM
i cannot yet speak to the 2002, although i will be getting one soon. i have the 2001 with the one touch fold that has had so many problems. they are sending me a new one becuase of that issue. however, aside from that -- i absolutely LOVE my ultra savvy. it is soooo lightweight, easy to use, small enough to guide through tight spaces, and the perfect match system is awesome! (i have the graco snug ride dx5). two of my friends that just had babies have the macleren and peg perego pliko. they are both nice strollers, but the macleren won't hold the infant carrier and the combi is much more light weight than the peg -- in my opinion. i've used my ultra savvy since my little boy was born in february. we've flown with it and always use it on walks and shopping trips. the ONLY thing i miss is a tray for my drink. although it's pricey, i highly recommend it. hope this helps!

rebekah
06-28-2002, 06:09 PM
Thanks for you input Rebecca! Your advice helps a lot! :)

rachelfran
06-28-2002, 08:28 PM
search these boards for another review - there is another poster - I think it's Zane - who is crazy about this stroller...I was very close to purchasing it but since I already had a combi savvy z, I didn't want to have another combi... but it does have all the right features!

zane
06-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Ha! I just came across this and couldn't wait to respond. I LOVE this stroller. It is perfect in every way, so much better than my Maclaren or any of my other many strollers.
Still, though, it depends on where you live. In NYC, i would get a hardier stroller for everywhere walking and lugging around. But for most everyday/ in- out of car stuff, this one is great. I still use the bassinette type feature on this for my 9 mth , she loves this stroller more than my full size ones. So does my nanny for neighborhood walks, and she has tried all my strollers, LOL.
zane

rebecca0213
07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
rebekah -- i just got my new 2002 ultra savvy in the black licorice. LOVE IT! it is even better than my 2001 model. the hugest complaints (which aren't really even big deals) are the lack of a parent tray and the fact that the five point harness is huge on my almost-five-month old (however, i was able to tighten it safely and securely after some work). i highly recommend it - it is wonderful! feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have! rebecca

zane
07-09-2002, 10:01 AM
But it has that fanny pack thing in place of a parent tray. I thought i would not like it, but it turns out to work very well. I can have a bottle, a cup and place for money, keys, sunglasses.zane

rebekah
07-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I've made up my mind and am going for it! All of your posts definitely helped make up my mind.... thanks again!

Melanie
07-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Is it possible to only use it as a three-point harness? It seems some strollers allow this and some do not.

Does the canopy detach so that you could pull it down all the way over baby?

thanks

Still searching for the perfect stroller...hahaha.

>rebekah -- i just got my new 2002 ultra savvy in the black
>licorice. LOVE IT! it is even better than my 2001 model.
>the hugest complaints (which aren't really even big deals)
>are the lack of a parent tray and the fact that the five
>point harness is huge on my almost-five-month old (however,
>i was able to tighten it safely and securely after some
>work). i highly recommend it - it is wonderful! feel free
>to contact me with any other questions you may have!
>rebecca

Mommy to Jonah

zane
07-11-2002, 10:20 PM
I think you can use it just 3 pt harness, just unhook the thingies and push behind the cushion. The sunshade does not go all the way forward, but does offer good sun protection, except for feet ( i cover with a blanket)
zane

Melanie
07-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks Zane. I'm waivoring between the US2002 and the Aprica Windsor Prestige. Any opinion? The main difference, I think, being the reversible handle. However since NO store around here carries either stroller, I can't test drive to see what the other differences are. Do you think Aprica's whole "hourglass" seat thing is overrated?

Thanks

(P.S. When I started talking strollers again, my husband called Diaper Bags "Gateway" purchases in the baby field. hahaha)

>I think you can use it just 3 pt harness, just unhook the
>thingies and push behind the cushion. The sunshade does not
>go all the way forward, but does offer good sun protection,
>except for feet ( i cover with a blanket)
>zane

Mommy to Jonah

zane
07-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Well, I love the styling of the Combi US, but it definitely feels like a small stroller. The Aprica is MUCH plusher, the rev handle is great, especially when the sun is in baby's eyes, and it feels like a more expensive stroller (even though combi US is $$$$ too. )
The combi pushes little easier than the aprica if you are tall when the stroller is in pram mode it has a shorter leg stride distance. It has adj handles, but i think they should go taller, IMO.
One thing i found on the Aprica which is GREAT!!! is that it has a sturdy footrest that my 4 yr old can ride on while i push, Hurray!!!, and the Combi cannot acoomadate a kiddyboard or seat to go thing ( i have it all,LOL)
The weight is about the same, basket is stretchy on the combi, a rectangle hard sided on the Aprica.
Uh, what else??
Oh, the hood can completely cover on the Aprica!!!!!!!
HTH
zane

MI_MOM
07-13-2002, 08:08 AM
Rebecca - How did you go about getting a 2002 US model as a replacement for your 2001 broken model? I received my 2001 replacement (Black Diamond - which they have plenty of) a few weeks ago, and I am afraid I am going to have the same problem in the months (or years) to come and I don't want to have to buy a new one myself. I would love to get the 2002 model so I don't have to worry about the defect and I like the new minor model changes. Any advice??

The Fields' noted in their stroller update that Combi admitted to have problems with their locking mechanism.

Otherwise, I absolutely LOVE my US stroller!

Thanks for your help!! :)

Melanie
07-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Thank you.

Decisions, decisions. How many times have you thought: "If we could just open our OWN baby product company and make ONE product that's perfect?" =)

Mommy to Jonah

rebecca0213
07-30-2002, 09:36 AM
hi there -- so sorry, i've haven't been on in a while. i'm not sure how i lucked out to receive the newer 2002 model. when the rep said she could send a new stroller, i said great, but what would reassure me that the same thing wouldn't happen again? she told me to hold a second and then came back and said that they could send me the new 2002 model, i just had to pick a new color. maybe because i questioned them more? i have no idea. i'm sorry i can't help you more! i guess i didn't want to question their decision for fear they'd change their mind! i'd try calling to see... good luck! rebecca

MI_MOM
07-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Good news -- my new 2002 model with School Plaid just arrived yesterday. I love the new design, especially, the seat recline lever and extended canopy. Although I was on hold for a long time, it was definitely worth the call!

ashleyst12
07-30-2002, 11:48 AM
Rebekah,

We have the 2001 version of the Combi Perfect Match System and we love it. My wife is able to take it in and out of the trunk with no problem due to it being lighter than most other models. We purchased the 2002 model for a friend of ours. We found that the 2002 model has better wheel fittings (our wheels whobble back and forth on the 2001 model), the viewing window on the canopy is larger so you can see what your child is doing and the basket underneath is larger and easier to get to. We love the handle adjustment for height, considering I am 6'7" and there weren't many carriages I was comfortable with. Our friend we bought it for loves it. We paid $95 for it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope this helps.

Rob

TaraNY
07-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Just butting in here... :)

I had the same problem with a broken fold mechanism on the 2001 US. When a customer service rep called me in response to my e-mail, she offered me either a new 2001 stroller OR a 2002 model. I chose the 2002. I got the return paperwork about 5 days later and 2 days after that I received the new stroller. (I filled out the paperwork then but I've yet to actually send it in yet!) I must say that the new fold mechanism is very easy to operate and I'm glad I went with it.

Good luck.

sc
08-30-2002, 02:54 AM
MI-MOM

I called Combi customer service today, and they are sending me the 2001 US model (Black Diamond) to replace my old one. Since I bought everything (diaper bag, car seat, head rest) navy blue to match my original stroller, I really wish to have a navy blue (only available in 2002 now) stroller again. How did to you upgrade to 2002 model in the end? What are the main differences between 2001 and 2002 model?

Thanks.

Susan

MI_MOM
08-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Susan,

I really like the 2002 model. The main differences are:

- 3 lbs heavier, due to a longer canopy

- The reclining mechanism has been redesigned and MUCH easier to operate - huge improvement

- The locking mechanism has been redesigned (probably because A LOT of people have had problems). The locking switch has been eliminated and there are levers on each side rail used to close the stroller - so it is no longer a 1 hand fold.

- The lock the fold the stroller in half is easier to open
_ 5 pt harness (overkill for my baby at this point)

Overall, the 2002 model is GREAT!

Based on other threads, some people were offered the 2001 or 2002 model for their replacement. Unfortunately, I was sent the 2001 black diamond replacement. I has problems with replacement stroller's locking mechanism AGAIN, after removing a small layer of plastic on the lock/unlock switch. (I thought it was just a cover, like on electronic equipment) Combi customer service was very accomodating and sent me the 2002 school plaid as a replacement. I LOVE IT!! Combi's CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT IS GREAT!!! I am thrilled since I bought my original 2001 model at babyage.com for $170 a few months ago.

It is not the most ethical thing, but you could call Combi after you receive your replacement and say your still having problems with it. They only want the seat pan returned, not the whole stroller. As mentioned by the Fields' update for 2002, Combi acknowledged the locking mechanism problem. Odds are that your stroller MAY break down the road when it is no longer under the warranty period. (The new navy gingham fabric with the silver rail is pretty cool!) However, I have friends with the 2001 model who haven't experienced any problems. I guess it was just my bad luck that started this whole thing. (I even questioned if my original stroller was a reject or 2nd since I got a great deal on it. Combi assured me it wasn't)

Good Luck! Let me know the outcome.

sc
08-30-2002, 06:14 PM
MI-MOM, Thank you so much for your input.

The lady in the customer service dept. told me that the replaced stroller doesn't come with a warranty, (Did your customer service rep. tell you the same thing?) I am afraid that the new stroller might be broken eventually. I really wish they would just give everyone a re-designed 2002 model to save themselves time & money. Anyway, I will just wait for my new stroller and see how it goes.

By the way, I have a Combi twin savvy from 5 yrs ago sitting in the garage. It was used less than 10 times. Since my 2nd child and third child are 5 yrs apart, there's no reason to keep it anymore. What's the best way to sell a stroller? Maybe stroller queen can answer the question for me? :-)

Susan

MI_MOM
08-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Susan,

Customer service did not tell me the new stroller does not have a warranty. I think she said if they did not receive the seat pan back from my old stroller, it would void out the warranty on the new one. Interesting. Now that I have the 2002 model, I feel pretty confident that I will not have any problems.

Based on what they told you, you may consider calling them back!

Actormom
09-12-2002, 11:12 AM
I just called Combi this morning. I had a 2000 Leopard US that will now only stay in the locked position. I have only been using it since June of this year! They immediately offered me the 2002 model and apologized for not having the leopard. I ordered the school plaid. Customer service was fast, kind and very helpful. I would call back and ask for the 2002.

sc
09-13-2002, 12:21 AM
Actormom,

May I ask you a question?

I talked to Combi right before Labor Day & still waiting for the 2001 replacement. Actually, I just realized that my US is a 2000 model (after reading/researching on all related post) recently. All the time I thought it is a 2001.

Combi customer service did ask me for the date I purchase the US. I did not remember the exactly date but was sure it was before April, 2001 (I had a miscarriage at that time.) I have only used the stroller for 3 mo since my baby is only 4 mo old now. The lady did say that if my warranty wasn't expired she would offer me a 2002.

Is it because the date you purchased the stroller was within last 12 mo warranty period that's why they "gladly" offered you a 2002 model? I paid over $270 for the US & my baby is only 4 mo old(I still have a long time using the stroller.) I really feel frustrated not having the redesigned 2002 model.

Thanks

Susan

Actormom
09-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Susan,

I am not sure why I got the 2002 so easily. Maybe they are simply running short on 2001 models at this point! LOL I purchased my stroller from Babycenter.com on clearance and I told her that. That may explain why I have a 2000 model and have only owned it for a short time. I told them I could not remember when I bought it. My baby was born 4/27/02 and I know I bought it several months earlier. She said "don't worry, that is fine". She also did not mention anything about this replacement being without warranty.

sc
09-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the answer.

So this is the conclusion - My stroller was purchased more than 1 yr ago & warranty expired, that's why I had a little more trouble than all of you getting a replacement. Sure I understand that the 1 year warranty starts from the date of purchase , BUT my baby is ONLY 4-month-old (4/21/02) :-( (I had a miscarriage last year after purchasing the stroller)

I am not sure if I should call Combi or not, for now I will just wait for the 2001 stroller (10 business days already, feel like forever), hopefully this one doesn't have the lock mech. problem.

Susan

suzska
09-16-2002, 07:47 AM
If you don't get the stroller within the 15 days or what ever they state, call them back. They were supposed to be sending me a replacement for my 6600, and it didn't arrive after the time they said. I called them back, and apparently there was a mix-up in the system and my stroller had never been sent! They sent one out the next day and I eventually got it. They weren't willing to offer me anything other than a 2001 replacement. :-( Oh, well. I still got my "new" stroller, although we haven't used it much yet. I'm sure that will change when the weather gets cold again and we can't go to the park in my monster Graco stroller, but will have to go to the mall play area (the Combi sits in my trunk, the Graco stays in my livingroom).

sc
09-16-2002, 10:20 PM
I got my 2001 black diamond today(11th business day). WOW! it's beautiful & far better than I have expected. the lock/switch works smoothly (so far.) I really like it, especially it's 3 lbs lighter than the 2002.

Many thanks to everyone who provided all related info & answered my questions.

Susan

pricetl
09-26-2002, 02:01 AM
can you clarify on the Combi--is it okay for a tall person? My husband is 6'1" and strollers are often too short. i really am leaning toward a Combi, but am concerned about the heigt/stride issue. We live in Japan and need a really lightweight stroller. Of course, Combi is Japanese, but I think i will prefer one of their American products (for taller people that carry more stuff).

thanks!

pricetl
09-26-2002, 02:17 AM
I am interested in this stroller, but I am wondering if I will like how flimsy it feels. By "hardier" do you mean that it won't last long (durability) or that it feels flimsy. The Japanese strollers all fold in half when they fold which is wonderful in Japan (where I live), but the feel of the stroller is weak comapred to a big American stroller. I must have a smaller and more durable stroller than my Graco, though. Combi seems to have a good reputation for quality, durability and lightweight which are major factors for me.

Actormom
09-26-2002, 08:59 AM
The first thing I nopticed about my 2000 Combi US in real use was that it was way too short. I am 5'5" and have a fairly long stride, I was hunched over and kicking the thing.(my 6 foot husband said no way) I just got my 2002 US replacement and it is better. I read that there is a height adjustment on the 2002 but I have not seen it yet. (only used this stroller once) I would definitely try one in BRU before you buy. I have two other strollers. Our Baby Trend Jogger is great and also we have an Evenflo Comfort (something, I forget). We bought the evenflo as what we call our "Disneyland stroller". We take it on long all day events. We like the plush comfort, many features and HUGE basket. I would never want to lug that big thing around all the time, but for the $60 sale price it was a great addition. (The evenflo is so tall, we love that)

Momof3Labs
09-26-2002, 09:52 AM
My husband is 6'3" and the Combi was WAAAAY too short for him, even with the height adjustment.

Have you looked at the Maclaren global buggy? Maclarens are generally much better for tall people, and this one takes most car seats. It is a bit heavier than the Combis, I believe, but Maclarens feel MUCH sturdier, in my opinion. Note that I haven't seen this one in person yet.

Here's a link to the global buggy:

http://babycatalog.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/index.cgi?c_id=74531.21231&frmbr=yes&store=bca.setup&mi=yes

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

pricetl
09-27-2002, 05:18 AM
Can you attach a buggy board (I think that's what its called) to the back of the Combi US for an older child ?

thanks
tracy