PDA

View Full Version : Combi Convenience vs. Perego Venezia - HELP%21%21%21

kathsmom
07-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi, everyone! My DH and I "test drove" strollers today and yesterday at BRU and a locally owned baby store. Our favorite was the Perego Aria travel system, but unfortunately, DH's feet kept hitting the wheels and the handle does not extend.

We had narrowed it down to the Combi Convenience at $119 or the Perego Venezia (on sale only thru today for $270). We liked the weight of the Combi, but it seemed cumbersome to fold. Do any of you have this problem? Would I get used to it as I get more practice? The Venezia was like a dream to drive and I seemed to be able to fold it with more ease. I have found 2 of the 2001 models of the Venezia on sale for $250 and $269. I am having a very hard time justifying spending so much on a stroller(the Venezia - which I LOVE) and still having to spend another $80-$100 for a carseat! Any suggestions? I probably need to order soon! Thanks!!

Toni-mom to Katherine (6 years) and baby boy on the way

suzska
07-07-2002, 07:35 AM
I have the 2000 Convenience Stroller (I'm currently waiting for my replacement stroller since a piece broke on the one I have--but they (Combi) are sending me a completely new stroller. I just have to mail back the piece under the seat cushion from the broken one).

Having said that, I still like my stroller. I'll admit I've never looked at the more expensive ones, so I can't personally compare. The folding of the Combi is a little cumbersome, but I just made sure I practiced and practiced a few times, so now I'm pretty good at it. I like that the stroller still stands when it's folded. (My monster Graco travel system doesn't.) I got the Combi after my son was out of his infant seat, so we haven't used that feature of the stroller. When he was in his infant seat, we would just put it in the shopping cart at the store--we're not really "mall people," so we were more likely to be going to Target or Wal-Mart (where they have shopping carts) than the mall (where they don't, obviously). When we took him for rides in the stroller around the neighborhood, we just put him in the stroller without the carseat since we had the Graco one that fully reclines like a carriage.

I know a lot of people recommend those Snap'N'Go's or whatever they're called, and say to wait on the stroller purchase until you know what you "really" want or need. Sometimes I wish I had waited to do that. But they "everyone" around here has the big travel systems, so I just assumed that was the "right" thing to do, and actually had a friend recommend doing that. Oh, well. But now I've been "spoiled" by the HUGE basket on my travel system. At least the Combi comes close to that.

Best of luck! And congrats!

momathome
07-07-2002, 07:39 AM
Take it from me (owner of 10 strollers in 4 years!) get the stroller you truly love. The initial expense may seem kind of high, but better to get it now than to settle for less - you're going to wish you had it eventually and may end up with 10 strollers like I did! Peregos are great - I have a Pliko Sherpa Bubble that I love. I am currently using this for my 17 month-old with my 4 year-old standing on the back of it. Good luck!
-Lauren

kathsmom
07-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Sue B and Lauren,

Thanks for your posts. I am still trying to decide on what stroller to get. I did not do the research on strollers/carseats/etc. when I was pregnant with my daughter 6 years ago. Sometimes, I think ignorance is bliss, because now I am obsessing over the stroller and which diaper bags to get. I just don't want to waste money and have to get more than one "high end" stroller. DH told me to get what I want, even if it does cost more, because I would be happier in the end.

If I get the Venezia, will I be wishing for a lighter weight one later? So many others have said they wished they would have just gotten the Snap 'n Go or Kolcraft Universal stroller and waited on the regular stroller until after their baby was out of the car seat.

Thanks to all for any additional advice!!

egoldber
07-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Well, I got the Veneia thinking this would be my one and only stroller. In my opinion it is really too heavy for an "all day on the run errand running" stroller. For that I ended up getting a Maclaren Mistral umbrella stroller ($99 on clearance). This is the stroller I use 95% of the time.

I still use the Venezia. It is a great "going to be at the mall for hours" kind of stroller. While it pushes very well, it is wide and sometimes difficult to navigate narrow aisles with (like the sale racks in the back of Gymboree or Lord&Taylor's additional 50% off lowest price racks :) ).

If you get the Venezia, you are probably going to want another one later. Have you looked at the Pliko? It also pushes very well (although a little harder to puch with one hand), is a little lighter (a few pounds), but is still very plush with a lot of great features. You can find good deals on a lot of 2001 models Plikos both online and at many brick&mortar stores.

HTH,

kathsmom
07-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Beth,

Thanks for the information on the Venezia. Yes, we did try out the Pliko at the locally owned baby store. It had all terrain wheels and seemed a lot more difficult to push. We did try a Martinelli which was designed just like the Pliko, only it had smooth wheels. This one did seem to push better than the Pliko (which I believe was a Trek). When did you stop using the Venezia? I really don't do that many all day mall trips anymore, but would like something comfortable for the baby for those days when I am able to get to the mall, zoo, museum, etc. Should I just get a car seat and a Snap 'n Go or Kolcraft Universal Stroller, and wait to get a regular stroller when the baby outgrows the car seat?

Toni

kathsmom
07-07-2002, 06:54 PM
Hi, everyone!! Thanks for all your advice on a stroller. I went ahead and ordered the 2001 Perego Venezia at www.barebabies.com for $249.95. They have free shipping and no tax. I really loved this stroller and if I need to get a lighter weight one later I can, especially when all the e-tailers have their clearances. Now all I need to get is a car seat!!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96)and baby boy on the way

jmac588
07-07-2002, 09:36 PM
I think you'll be happy. I have both the Peg Perego Milano XL and the Combi 6600 Perfect Match. I love them both. The Combi I have (probably a 2001) was the only stroller with the car seat attachment bar at the time and that was one of the major reasons I bought it. I knew I wouldn't want an American 'travel system' (had heard too many people say they would fall apart after one year and then you're left with no stroller), so the Combi was perfect. It was a little awkward to close when I first got it, but I was pregnant so as soon as the baby came and I did it a few times, it was a piece of cake. Except for walks around the neighborhood, I used the Combi exclusively until the baby was out of the carseat--basically anytime we were going somewhere that involved a ride in the car. When I returned to work full time, I let my parents use the Combi since they were watching my ds, and to this day they still have it. It's very easy for them to handle.

So now I use the Peg exclusively. It's kind of strange because I know at this point (my ds is 17mos), most people want to switch to the lighter weight stroller, but I still use my Peg. Yes, it's heavier than the Combi (and other stollers for that matter), and big, but the baby is always so comfortable. The only time I wish I had taken the Combi is if it's very hot and we're doing alot of strenuous or stop and go walking...then it feels like a ton of bricks!!! I think the Pegs now have the attachment bar for the carseat? That's the best of both worlds.

I know you already made your decision, and I'm sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to let you know that I don't think you could have made the wrong choice with either one of these strollers. Good luck.

kathsmom
07-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Jill,
Thanks for that information about still using your Peg. I probably will get a Combi later on down the road. I fell in love with the Venezia the first time I tested it. My husband told me to go ahead and get it, because if I didn't, I would probably end up regretting it. I just love that it is so plush for the baby and can be converted to a carriage. It was even easy enough for my DD to push. I really liked the Combi, but did feel that it was a little hard to close, but I guess that it just takes practice. I am glad to see that you are still using the heavier Perego model. I was afraid I would not get my money's worth out of it!

Thanks!
Toni

egoldber
07-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Toni, fyi, I still use the Venezia, just not everyday. You will undoubtedly get your money's worth out of it. Another main reason I don't use the Peg at places like the zoo, etc, is that it is terrible over uneven terrain. I ultimately ended up getting an all-terrain type stroller for those activities. But the Peg is great in the mall and places like that.

Enjoy your Venezia!

kathsmom
07-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Beth,

Is the Maclaren that you got all terrain? Or do you have another stroller that you use for the zoo, etc.? I had not thought of the Venezia not being adaptable to outdoor activities. Is it difficult to push? Do the tires catch? I don't go out on trips like that very often, but I may want to consider having a backup stroller for when I do.

Thanks,
Toni

egoldber
07-08-2002, 09:48 AM
The Mac Mistral is most defintely NOT all terrain! lol

The problem I have with the Venezia is that the wheels "catch" on almost any crack in the sidewalk and jerk my poor baby around. I ended up buying an Instep Safari as my all-terrain stroller and I really like it. So I have 3 strollers, my everyday stroller (Mac Mistral), a shopping stroller (Peg Venezia) and an outdoor stroller (Instep Safari). This covers all my needs.

HTH,

kathsmom
07-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Beth,

Thanks for the information. My poor husband already thinks I am nuts to be obsessing over strollers. Would you suggest that I wait on getting an everyday stroller and/or all terrain stroller until later? I seriously doubt that I will be out that much with the baby, other than Target, the mall, etc. He is due 9/30/02. Plus, we are supposed to be moving sometime this fall/winter/spring due to my husband's job.

Thanks bunches to you and all the ladies who are helping out this poor, confused soul!!

Toni

egoldber
07-08-2002, 10:36 AM
I would definitely wait until after baby is born and you have gone out for awhile to buy your (extra :) ) strollers. They are always coming out with new models and your needs may be different than what you think they would be right now.

Personally, I am out and about all the time with my baby and have been pretty much since she was born. I have never been a stay at home type (although I am a "stay at home" mom, lol).

HTH,

jmac588
07-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Ok, so I forgot to mention that the Peg wheels do get jammed up on uneven surfaces. I think this happens with both Venezia and Milano since they are so similar. I do admit to a few curses over the past year and a half due to those darn wheels jamming up, and probably a few more than that from my dh.

One thing I learned about the wheels jamming up is that it's all in the way you push it. This is, of course, very unscientific research but I think that when you're holding on tight to the handle and pushing down and forward the wheels seem to get caught more often. After the first few times, I think it's only natural to tense up when you see uneven terrain coming up so that's when you hold on tight and have the urge to push down and forward. But if you stay relaxed and push the handle up and forward (with fingertips or bent wrists) it seems to glide over rough surfaces easier. Crazy? Perhaps, but it works most of the time.

And when all else fails, just step on the foot plate and lift the wheels up over the bump!!!!!! You'll get the hang of it. I don't know why they make such an expensive stroller and have it do this, but it's other attributes do outweight the wheel "issue".

kathsmom
07-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Only a few curses? LOL. I better not tell my husband about this!! He thinks this is the only stroller that we are going to get!! Little does he know that I am a more informed consumer and am succumbing to stroller envy every time I get on these boards!! Thanks for the heads up about the bumps and how to handle them.

I fee confident that I made the right decision on getting the Venezia. After the baby comes and we figure out our lifestyle (DD begins kindergarten and we're supposed to be moving in the next year), then I will add a more lightweight stroller (like a Maclaren, Pliko, or Combi) to my Venezia. Who knows, I might even end up with more!!

Thanks for all the information all of you have shared!!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby boy on the way