PDA

View Full Version : Do I spend the $$ for a Baby Bjorn?

sljacobs
07-11-2002, 07:18 AM
I am searching for a baby carrier to use with my two month old infant. I am a plus size mother looking for a carrier that would be comfortable for me to use while walking as well as using around the house. I have only found that the Baby Bjorn has extra large straps for the plus size, are there other carriers cheaper that I could fit?

23Tam
07-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Aside from a sling, which also come in sizes, I don't think so, no :( I'd recommend hitting E-Bay and getting one there. There are always plenty of used ones floating around, even the ones with the XL straps, and the prices are much better than new. I have one of the older style carriers, and have never had a problem with it, but I have even seen used newer styles up for auction!

Good luck!

Tam

MamaKath
07-11-2002, 08:20 AM
I am also a plus mom, and this is what I have found.

For a traditional carrier I like the Baby Trekker www.babytrekker.com It fits really easily to me, my husband, or a caretaker. It has a velcro waist strap, and although the shoulder straps don't have anything to keep them crossed when you take it off, it folds into itself keeping it contained in a small space.

I also like the Over the Shoulder Baby holder in L as a sling. It adjust easily. I used this pretty much exclusively for dd from birth until about 2.5, and ds is just starting in it at 5 months, I used the trekker for him mostly until now. I am the only user, but I think it would also fit dh.

I don't like the Bjorn so much. I tried it with dd, and ended up with a Snugli instead, but this time I was able to borrow my sister's. I am large busted and I have a very hard time with the Bjorn vs. the breasts. It is just really hard to adjust right with them! ;-) LOL! Dh will wear it, but grudgingly. The trekker is more masculine for him. The Snugli was his fave, but it dug in my shoulders.

It is hard to find things that work for a plus mom! It is also is hard to get advice for what will work, as most moms are average size.

HTH :-) :-)

kellyotn
07-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I'd really suggest finding the various brands and trying them on. A carrier can be a blessing or a curse depending on how it fits you.

Every "body" is way different and you need to find out the best one for you. I love the BB, but other people love other brands. When I've tried the Snuggli, I just wanted to take it off and carry the baby! Didn't really "fit" me. But the BB, I barely notice - it fits me so well.

After you figure out which one works best, eBay is a great source for these things. Also, I think there's some shops that sell used BB's and probably other carriers online. I don't have the info (my sis bought her BB this way, but I'd guess they have other brands), but I could find out if you want.

HTH,
Kelly

trumansmom
07-11-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm also a plus size mom, and I found that Baby Bjorns didn't work well for me. I have a maya wrap, and that has been much more useful. The problem with the Baby Bjorn is that the straps come right under my breasts and basically accentuates how huge they are. It was relatively comfortable, but the only way I was able to wear it in public was when I could wear a cardigan over it so it wasn't as noticeable. But, I admit, I'm really self conscious about the size of my breasts, so it may just be my neurosis talking!

But, if you decide you want to get one, they have them at www.kidsurplus.com for something like $55 right now, even in the XL sizes. That way, if you don't like it, you could still sell it on ebay and get your money back. Even used on ebay they are going for around $60 in the XL sizes.

Hope that helps.

hardysmom
07-12-2002, 01:48 PM
At 2 months, I would also consider the size of your baby before investing in a BB. I have never seen anyone use one up to the 30lbs or so they claim to be rated. Personally, I'd say their use gets pretty limited a little after 20lbs. For my son, this was around 4-5 months. I couldn't have done without my BB for the first few months, but you may not want to invest full-price in this item if you can only get a couple of months out of it.

stephanie

Gagesmom
07-15-2002, 06:10 PM
I know this reply is pretty late, but I hope you read it! I also love my Baby Trekkor, I ordered it off of their website and it was well worth the money. My husband couldn't use the baby bjorn w/out the x-tra large straps, which we never did get around to buying. The Trekkor also works as a back carrier, which is great if your baby is older or just a bigger, heavier infant than average. It also has a hip strap so that some of the pressure of the weight of the baby is off of your shoulders. I have a baby bjorn and loved it, but I used it only till my son was about 16-17lbs, then I went with the Trekkor and used it up until he wouldn't ride in it anymore (around 11-12 months).

sljacobs
07-21-2002, 05:51 AM
Thank you for your input. I notice you speak of the baby trekkor, do you know of the Theodore Bean, its website appears to model several moms using it with older babies and it has won several design awards. I haven't seen any postings of it on the message boards.

I have gone ahead and ordered the XL Baby Bjorn, but I got it from a surplus store for $55, I amagine I'll need to purchase another carrier when he outgrows the baby bjorn. Thank you for your input on the baby trekkor.

sljacobs
07-21-2002, 05:52 AM
thank you, I took your advise and ordered one from them.

rachelfran
07-21-2002, 07:34 AM
my son outgrew the bjorn and I just purchased the hip hammock
i highly recommend it...check their website - www.hiphammock.com

Gagesmom
07-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Truman's mom, if I had big boobs I'd have them on display all the time, ha ha!! Don't be self-conscious, if we're staring we're probably just envious of your bounty! Anyway, I had tried one of those Maya wrap carriers, but I wound up sending it back because it put so much pressure on my breasts (which aren't large, unfortunately, :) but were sensitive from breastfeeding). Anyway, I was a nursing mother and that wrap carrier just didn't work for me, I was uncomfortable and also terrified of plugged ducts from it. Just a little extra input, for anyone thinking of getting one, be aware that if you are breastfeeding it might not work for you.

trumansmom
07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
LOL!!! Isn't the grass always greener?!

I think the shape of a person's body must make all of the difference for these carriers. I also am breastfeeding (He's 8 months old now), and the Maya Wrap didn't bother me at all.

MamaKath
07-23-2002, 09:21 AM
Does this fit a plus size mom or just average size moms?

TIA

rachelfran
07-23-2002, 09:31 PM
it's adjustable and i think would fit a plus size - i'm a 14/16 with a 40DD chest and it fits just fine with plenty of growing room.... lol

thorsmom
09-04-2002, 05:57 PM
I have the Theodore Bean and love it. My baby was too big for the baby bjorn at 2 months. I have the new one with the clip slides and he hated it. He looked like a little sausage in the Baby Bjorn. We got the Theodore Bean and he loved it. He's now 5 1/2 months and 22 lbs and over 26 inches and he still loves it. It's designed really well and I have worn it for a couple of hours at a time and it didn't bother my back. I highly reccommend it. The mesh version is also cheaper than the Baby Bjorn.