PDA

View Full Version : Combi backpack, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Kelty HELP!

NancyB
07-30-2002, 01:10 PM
okay so now its narrowed down to the Combi backpack, the eddie baur backpack, the kelty backpack, the lands end do it all and the little tripper, I plan on breast feeding so not too many supplies and I also plan on using it for my purse rather than carry a separate one. Its for one child newborn boy if that helps any comments advice or suggestions about any of these or feel free to add to the confusion Thanks Nancy

trumansmom
07-30-2002, 02:31 PM
I have two of the diaper bags you mention - the Combi backpack and the Lands End Do It All. I love the Do it all most of the time, but it's really big and can get heavy. It's super organized, which was even more important when my DS was younger, and I love the parent pocket. My son is now 8 months old and I still use it, but mainly when I travel.

I HATE my Combi backpack. It doesn't hold much at all, and I always felt like I was digging around for everything. I really wanted to like this bag, but I just don't. I used it for a month or so, and now it's in my closet with the Gap Carryall that I hate, too!

My son doesn't need as much these days, so now I primarily use a regular tote bag for his toys and food(found a great DKNY one with lots of pockets) and one of those changing pads that has pockets for diapers and wipes.

Good luck! And don't be surprised if you find yourself buying new ones periodically as your needs change.

Hope that helps.

kathsmom
07-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi, Nancy!

I am in the same boat that you are in - trying to decide on a diaper bag! I had a post about different diaper bags and a lot of the ladies gave me great information. The post is titled - "What is the best diaper bag (small, medium, or large)-Do I need them all?" You should see it if you scroll down a little.

Anyway, I have bought several bags, brought them home and packed them up with things I think I would need for church, mall, etc. Then I tried carrying the filled bags (and made DH carry them too!) and tried them out in the basket of my stroller. So far, I have kept the Avent Naturally carryall/tote bag, a cheap backpack from BRU by Sportbaby (it is on clearance for $13.98), and have the Lands' End Little Tripper on order. I may go ahead and get the Do-It-All diaper bag too for longer day trips and overnight/weekend trips. I am not going to keep all these bags, I am just waiting for the Little Tripper to come in so I can compare them all at the same time

Trumansmom, thank you for telling us about the Combi backpack - because I saw this one at a baby store and thought it looked just about perfect. I came very close to buying it!

Sorry this is SO long, but I do understand what you are going through!!

Toni -mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby boy on the way (9/30/02)

mbenjamin
07-30-2002, 10:39 PM
I just got the Ultimate STress Free Diaper bag from One Step Ahead today in the mail. It was expensive so I was really worried - but so far I love it. I had Eddie Bauer tote bag. I thought it looked great but had no compartments and this drove me nuts. I could never find anything. The one from One Step Ahead is a back pack with only one strap with a separate parent part and has lots of compartments and great features. I thought it would be bigger that it was and was worried that it wouldnt hold much, but once I got everything in that I wanted I saw that there was plenty of room to spare! Those compartments really save space! I love it. You should check it out.
Go to www.onestepahead.com to see pics of it.
Hope this helps
Michele

NancyB
07-31-2002, 07:35 AM
I looked at the bag and it looked great. How are you finding it since it is only for one shoulder and cannot be switched? Nancy

Jakobs_mom
07-31-2002, 08:16 AM
OK here is what I have....I have a Lands End Day tripper and Do It All and a Kate Spade medium bag. I think my needs will change as I have more kids but for right now I have a 4 month old little boy and I use my day tripper ALL the time - it is the perfect size to carry all the needs for one child. The Do It All is just too big unless you were going somewhere for acouple days. I love the Kate Spade and use that when I go out dress up with the baby (it does not have any compartments to keep things organized so it is just used more for looks than anything else).

NancyB
07-31-2002, 09:02 AM
do you use the day tripper as a purse also? Nancy

Jakobs_mom
07-31-2002, 09:23 AM
Yes. I have not carried a purse since I have had the baby. I usually have wipes, 2-3 diapers, one change of cloths for Jake, antibacterial lotion for hands, burb cloth, pacifier, one bottle with water in it, single packets of formula, cell phone, and my wallet. It holds all this without being too bulky so it is about the same size as my purse use to be.

dubbogod
07-31-2002, 11:55 AM
I have the Gap tote, Combi Tote and the Eddie Bauer Backpack and find that the backpack is more useful to me (with 3 kids). I keep my essential in there (wallet, keys-there is a handy clip in the first compartment for these, etc.), there are two side pockets, for cell phone or a bottle or sippy cup. There's a changing pad, albeit a little small, and lots of compartments. The only thing I miss is an insulated section to put keep a bottle warm or cool, but the weather is okay here in the Northwest so it's not an issue for me. If I am gone for an extended I use my MaxiCool Bottle Bag or the Bottle bag that came with my Gap Tote. Also, the backpack has padded shoulder pads which is really nice and comfy. I got mine with free shipping from Amazon.com and so far I'm really happy with it.

hardysmom
07-31-2002, 03:51 PM
I have the Kelty Diaper Daypack. I love it for extended/ complicated trips (like to the pool or grandma's), but it is too big for quick shopping outings. I got a smaller (large purse sized) bag for running around. My only advice is to get something for everyday that fits in the basket of your stroller. This is easier said that done!

stephanie

mbenjamin
07-31-2002, 10:06 PM
I had to carry my daughter around for a day or two to see what side I carry her more on, right or left. I found that I carry her with the left so that my right hand is free to do stuff. If you carry your baby on the left you should get the right shoulder strap. So that's what I ordered. So far I like it on the right and have had no regrets. One Step Ahead is supposed to have a really good return policy so I figured if it didnt feel perfect I would just return it and get the two shoulder back pack that they have. So far so good (although it was pricey and my husband thinks I am nuts for having bought it).
Michele