PDA

View Full Version : Pockets!

Shirale
08-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Ok, so I know that there are dozens of posts re: diaper bags but I really need some info. I have the Lands end diaper bags (both do-it-alls)(not the little tripper, that was too small)a abaies alley backpack, and a couple othher basic ones all of which are no good for what I need now! I have a 7 month old who eats solid food and none of my diaper bags fit enough stuff for a whole day. The do-it-all is just too bulky, I live in NYC and I need something that I can comfortably wear or stick on the back of my Mac. Which bag has the MOST pockets? I like my babies alley bag but am tired of searching (despite my ziplock trick) and it is not large enough to hold everything for a day out...also, I want something somewhat stylish...any ideas??? Thanks!

NancyB
08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Try the one step ahead shoulder bag/ sling its
pricey but people I have spoken to really like it for the room and the abillity to reach your stuff without removing it from your arm Nancy

www.onestepahead.com

kathsmom
08-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi, Shira!

Remember me from the "What is the best diaper bag (small, medium, or large) - Do I need them all?" post? Did you ever check out the Combi Urban Sling? I know that you had mentioned that that was one that you may be interested in. I still haven't seen it in person.

To answer your question, I bought the Avent Naturally Carryall Baby Bag at BRU. It looks very stylish - black microfiber with an aqua colored lining. It comes with an aqua changing pad, dirty duds pouch, and an insulated bottle holder that will hold 2 of the large Avent bottles. I am probably going to keep this one. It has 2 shoulder straps and the bag hangs under your arm, like a briefcase. The main compartment (which has plenty of room for clothes, burp cloths, etc.) of the bag has 1 large pocket with a velcro closure on one side (this is where the jars of baby food have been placed in the picture that accompanied the bag), and on the other side is a large pocket that fully zips closed. There is also an outside pocket that velcros closed with 2 mesh pockets for diapers and wipes and room for the changing pad. You can see what the bag looks like at babycenter.com and babiesrus.com. The reviews from customers for the bag have all been 4 or 5 stars. I did buy mine at the BRU store near me. The measurements are 13"LX5"DX11"H. I don't think either website has a picture of the interior of the bag. Oh, I think babystyle.com has it too. I'd recommend checking it out the next time you are at BRU.

I also got a backpack by Sportbaby that was on clearance from BRU for $13.98, but it is not stylish, just practical. It is very soft, lightweight, has tons of room, and DH was able to carry it on his shoulders with no problems. This one is definitely a keeper! Especially for the price!

I also went ahead and ordered the Lands' End Little Tripper. I love it, but am wondering if it is too small for my needs.

Sorry this is so long. Anyway, that is my diaper bag story for the moment. I am still considering the Lands' End Do-It-All and Deluxe, based on yours and others recommendations.

Good luck, and thank you for all your help to me on my previous post.

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby boy on the way (9/30/02)

egoldber
08-05-2002, 06:41 PM
I use the Urban Sling for all day and have no problem. If I need to carry 2 bottles also, then I just use the cooler from the free diaper bag from the hospital. One of the reasons that I particularly like the US is that with all the pockets, I don't have to dig for items. I also never need to worry about it slipping off my shoulder like a backpack. The Combi Traditional diaper bag also has a lot of pockets and is pretty inexpensive.

I put my US on my Mac Mistral with no problems. BUT I have to be careful because it WILL tip if I take DD out of the stroller and leave the US on the handles. This is a problem with a lot of umbrella strollers. I added a "stroller kickstand" and that solved the problem, except that I sometimes forget to use it.

HTH,

myllam
08-06-2002, 02:42 AM
Hi,

I have had a horrible time finding the "perfect" diaper bag. For my day to day I really wanted something that would leave my hands free to hold the baby (backpack or messenger/sling style) and with enough pockets to separate my stuff and the baby's stuff. I've literally tried a dozen or so (you have to put your own stuff into a bag to really know whether or not it will work for you :-)

The two I am keeping are the kelty diaper daypack (2001 model) and the gap ultimate baby backpack.

Main reason for the 2 I am keeping is the pockets! The kelty is my overnight diaper bag and the gap is my day to day one.

The Gap Ultimate backpack is working out great right now. My son is 12 months old next week and eating solids. The backpack has an outer pocket near the straps for the changing pad. The inside has a mesh pocket for diapers and the travel wipes and the rest of the inside is for clothes, bibs, etc. It also has 2 smaller inside pockets for smaller things like crayons, baby sunglasses, etc. Outside opposite the straps it has 2 zippered pockets. The pocket between the main compartment and the outermost pocket is where I put all his food. The outermost pocket has small organizer pockets and is also roomy enough for my wallet. The small organizer pockets are: one long zipper pocket for lipstick, etc; 1 squarish one that fits my palm pilot; and smaller loops for pens, etc. It has a side pocket for a bottle (fits my avent) and a side pocket for a cell phone. It also has a keychain holder, a strap so you can carry it as a messenger bag if you want, a dirty duds bag, and a insulated bottle holder.

The only negatives so far is that it is bigger then I would like (10" x 5" x 14" ) so it doesn't really fit easily into my stroller's basket, and the backpack straps only have 2 adjustments using velcro, and the velcro gets in the way when putting it on your back (I may sew them down or something). I got this new with tag on ebay for around $35 (plus $6 shipping). On gap.com they are $48. The good thing about ordering from gap is you can return it if you don't like it.

The Kelty daypack has similar pockets and features as the gap ultimate, but is somewhat bigger and more rugged looking. We took it with us walking around yosemite. It was on sale at rei-outlet.com for $35 or so. If it hadn't, I may have opted for the Eagle Creek Parent survival pack.

Others I have tried and returned:

lands end do-it-all (no way I could carry this and the baby)

nine west diaper backpack (not enough pockets, stiff microfiber)

combi urban sling (loved the styling and pockets without much in it, but once I had stuff in it, it became bulky looking. Other people seem to love this bag, so it may be the way I was packing it).

nine west messenger bag (same as the combi sling)

kenneth cole messenger bag (strange material. Very soft, so stuff would slide around and fall out of it really easily).

samsonite elegance collection backpack (not enough pockets, and the straps were designed to allow you to use it over your shoulders as well, which made it difficult to wear as a backpack.)

Babies Alley backpack (great size, but not enough pockets!).

avent backpack (seems to have lots of room and pockets, but I found the material too stiff).

Anyways, long answer, but hope this helps :-)

Monica

(mom to Brian 8/12/01)

Shirale
08-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi All,
thanks for the replies. I think I will try out the Combi and the GAP bag. I will also look at the avent bag based on Toni's reccomendation!I have to just go to the store and pack all my stuff in...it seems that I do well with a a bag until I actually have to use it! Does anyone know of a regular bag, not a backpack, not a diaper bag that has lots of pockets?? Thanks all! I'll let you know!

kathsmom
08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Shira,

When you check out the Avent bag, make sure you are looking at the briefcase style bag and not the Avent Kitbag backpack. I agree with one of the previous posters on this thread - I didn't like the backpack.

Also, on one of the posts on my thread from July, one of the posters said that she used the Combi traditional bag as her "all day out" bag. I did see this one in person, and I liked it. It had a top pocket for mom's things, 1 or 2 insulated outside bottle holders, and from what I remember, it seemed to have quite a few pockets on the inside as well. babycenter.com, babiesrus.com, and babystyle.com all have this bag and can give you a more accurate description than I can. I would have bought the bag to try at home, but the store I went to was 40 miles from my house, and I really didn't feel like driving all the way back there to return the bag if I didn't like it. Sometimes these locally owned baby stores don't give you your money back either - just store credit.

I bought several diaper bags and brought them home and packed them like I would for a long/all day outing (or a short outing, depending on the size of the bag), and carried the loaded bag around. I put it in my stroller basket to see if it would fit, and made DH carry them as well. He looked quite funny carrying the Babies Alley microfiber backpack!!LOL. Those thin straps just didn't look right on his shoulders! The ones I didn't like, I returned.

Let me know about the Combi Urban Sling if you try it. It's on sale for $39.99 at babycenter.com, but it is out of stock right now (atleast it was last night). I know that Beth really likes hers, as well as several other ladies on these boards.

HTH and good luck in your search!

egoldber
08-06-2002, 11:50 PM
I have to admit the Urban Sling is not the slimmest bag in the world when packed. But I think a lot of diaper bags, especially messenger style and tote bag types, have this problem. There is no "perfect" bag. Hopefully you will find one that works OK for you!

myllam
08-07-2002, 12:20 AM
I wanted to mention that I'm still thinking about getting the urban sling for when my DS is a little older and I hopefully won't be carrying so much around. With all those great pockets, it looks like it may even be useful as a regular messenger bag. I do really like the way it looks. Diaper bags are definitely one of those personal choice things :-)

Sigh, I thought I'd be a low gear mom, but I now have 3 strollers, 2 diapers bags, and a couple of extras that I need to sell on ebay...

Anyways, good luck and happy hunting for that "almost perfect" bag :-)

Monica
(mom to Brian, 8/12/2001)

mommymaria
08-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Just throwing in my lengthy two cents here...I seem to have started a little collection of diaper bags to replace the shoe and purse collection I worked on pre-baby.

I loved the design of the Gap ultimate backpack, but I hardly ever use it. It is very heavy when packed. Also, I cannot just sling it over one shoulder, as the backpack straps are slippery and slide off. My version is different from the one described above. The backpack straps do adjust easily (and no velcro on the bag), but there is an extra strap that does use velcro which allows you to convert it to a shoulder-type bag. My problem with that is then the backpack straps just hang and get in the way.

While it does not have a whole lot of pockets, I like the Undiaper Bag from Babystyle. There is a zipper compartment on the bottom of the tote to hold the changing pad and other diapering supplies. There are outside pockets on each side of the bag, a divided interior with two bottle holders, a clip for keys, and a large inside zippered pocket. Some on the boards did not like the leather trim. Granted, it is far from Coach quality, but it has worn well for me.

Babystyle just started carrying a microfiber bag by Glacier Baby. It converts from shoulder strap to sling style (with hideaway straps)and a lot of useful pockets inside and out. I saw someone with it and thought it was cute, but I am not sure if it is that much smaller than the Urban Sling. I do not know what stores carry this to check it out in real life.

Good luck with the search,
Maria

Zansu
08-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Shira,

If you're looking for a regular bag with pockets, take a look at an Eddie Bauer briefcase. It has an organizer panel with several compartments, and the organizer itself creates a pocket. The main compartment has a zippered pocket, and there's an outside pocket on the back.

Shirale
08-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the input. After searching through the mall, GAP, regular bags in Saks, BRU and Buy Buy Baby, I finally came across the Combi Traditional bag (as you had suggested Toni) and you're right- it is great! It fits everything I need for a day with enough sections that I can organize things and know where to look...it zips completely and even has a very accessable parents pocket right on top! it fits on the back of my Mac perfectly, even can be stuffed in the basket, and it is not too bulky or difficult to carry either! I didn't really like the US, bu this one is great! So, my search seems to be over, for now...I too seem to have replaced my pre-baby fixation with shoes and bags with diaper bags! I also seem to have replaced my love of shopping for clothes with my love of shopping for baby clothes!!! ;-)

kathsmom
08-09-2002, 08:08 PM
Shira,

I am so glad that the Combi traditional worked for you. After measuring the Avent carryall bag to give you the measurements, I realized it is not that much bigger than the Little Tripper that I have. I may go ahead and get the Combi traditional bag as well. I will probably return the Little Tripper and/or the Avent carryall bag.

Are you still using the LE Deluxe Do-It-All for weekend trips? I am still thinking about getting the regular do-it-all for my medium bag instead of the Combi traditional. Do you really think it is way too big to tote around?

Thanks!

jillv123
08-11-2002, 01:21 AM
Shira,

I have a MUM diaper bag which works great for me and is in a messenger bag style ( I think it can be purchased from Pumpkin Maternity which is down on Broome st., between little Italy & SoHo, around $100 - a bit pricey, but very nice). (also I believe there's info on www.pumpkinmaternity.com )They come in two sizes (I have the large). It has 4 or 5 pockets inside and can hold a day of stuff and sling diagonal over the body or over the stroller handles. It is practical, very 'hip' and doesn't look like a diaper bag at all.

Yesterday I also saw a diaper bag made by the company who designed the bags that put minimal stress on the back. Many little pockets and very stylish. I am considering getting one myself. I don't know the name of the company but I'm sure it could be found where good healthy shoes (Birkenstock, Mephisto, Ecco, Clark, etc.) are sold. I live in California and these stores and bags go hand in hand here.

I am not sure if you decided on a bag yet but I thought this info might be helpful.

jillv123
08-11-2002, 01:28 AM
Just read that you found a bag already - missed that in my early scan. Perhaps this can be helpful for a future purchase.

Shirale
08-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Toni,
I love the Deluxe do it all for weekends, it is perfect! Great as a carryon for planes as well. If the choice is between the reg do it all and the combi traditional, def go for the combi. It is slimmer, more pockets,easier organization...and fits much more than it loks like it can! Again, thanks for all your help, advice- and lots and lots of luck on the new baby!
Kim,
The bag you mentionedsounds great, actually- so I will check it out! I am finding that different occasions seem to call for different bags, much like it was pre-baby, but here the qualifications are storage and easy carrying while before it was style!!! anyhow- i'll check it out!
Thanks everyone!

jojo2324
08-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Just my two cents about the Undiaper Bag....I got it for free through a promotion that babystyle was running and was pleased, partly due to some positive info on it here and then appeasing DH's wallet. However, six weeks into mommydom and I really don't like it, and neither does DH. (He conveniently broke the zipper on the bottom of the bag, so now I need to carry the changing pad in the bag.) I don't mind the leather trim so much, but the lack of pockets is a little annoying when you're rifling through, searching for a binky, trying to hold your baby and keeping it from slipping off your shoulder all at once.

Melanie
08-11-2002, 05:32 PM
I bought this for $10 at Ross, but returned it. I also saw it for $30 or $40 at Rite-Aid. ;)

This was a while ago, but I believe the reasons were just that the bottle compartment was too small for *my* water bottle since it's meant to completely contain the bottle & the sling straps were too short for me (large-bust).

Mommy to Jonah

mommymaria
08-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info, Melanie. Babystyle is charging something like $50 for this bag! And while I do not have a large bust (sigh) I have broad shoulders so this would probably not work for me at all.

Maria