PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Stroller Starter Set

all4sanity
08-07-2002, 09:01 AM
If you could recommend a stroller starter set to a first time mom, what would you recommend and why?

I’m thinking: Kolcraft Carseat Stroller, Chicco 2002 and Maclaren Quest.

Marie

riostoker
08-07-2002, 11:01 AM
I don't think there is any perfect "stroller starter set". It all depends on how you'll use it. Do you live in the city? in the suburbs? Do you like to walk/jog for exercise? Do you have sidewalks? Do you drive a car with a small trunk? Or a big SUV? Do you have back problems? Do you have space for a big stroller? Or need one that folds compactly? These are just some of the questions to think about.

I think the Kolcraft carseat stroller sounds like your best bet at first (I didn't have one, but they look great!). That's all you'll need at first. When your baby gets a little older, and you see how you will be using the stroller, you can buy something else.

I don't mean to be so vague, but it is hard to know what advice to give you without knowing what you need/want, and you probably won't know that till you've had the baby a while. I didn't think I'd want a jogger, but it has become my favorite stroller! I thought my Pliko was plenty light-weight until I started traveling a lot. Now I'm dreaming of a Maclaren techno! There are just so many issues with strollers. Buy something that will serve your needs well the first 3-4 months. Then start looking at others and asking questions once you know your needs.

Rachels
08-07-2002, 12:35 PM
I agree. Start with the Kolcraft and get other strollers later after you learn how you tend to use one. I have the Kolcraft Universal and the Venezia, and all I use is the Kolcraft. The Venezia, which seemed wonderful before, now is seeming pretty unweildy for my mall-going stroller needs. Try to resist the temptation to buy multiple strollers before your baby is born. In all likelihood, you will choose something different later. I will say, though, that univerally important features seem to be the ability to steer the stroller with one hand (which you have to do anytime you need to pick up a fussy baby), and the ability of the stroller to navigate well over small bumps (which you find in more places than you would think). Hope this helps!

Garrettsmom
08-07-2002, 12:58 PM
I'm not familiar with the individual ones you listed, but if the Kolcraft is the one that is just a frame that you snap in the infant car seat to, that is a good idea. As the others said, you can then assess your needs and preferences later, and at the beginning all you really need is something you can put the carseat in. Still, I bought two before my son was born: a Peg Perego Milano and a Combi Ultra Savvy. The Milano was nice to have a pram-style stroller that we used to walk my son around the neighborhood when he was only weeks old. Between then and now (at 6 months) it has really been too big to get much use out of as a regular stroller. I think it will be really nice when he is older, like a toddler. And it is definitely too heavy (I think about 20 lbs) to take in and out of the car regularly or travelling. The Combi Ultra Savvy is all-around fabulous: it takes most car seats and comes with a matching car seat cover, so it serves the initial need of "travel system" yet it is super light and small enough to navigate around the cosmetic counters at department stores! (About 10 lbs, although I think the 2002 model is a little heavier) The Ultra Savvy is the right size for my son now to just use as a forward-facing stroller, and it has a full recline so he can sleep in it too. I have taken it on several plane trips and it fits well in the trunk of my Honda Accord with grocery room to spare. All things to consider! Hope that helps!

uccomama
08-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Well, my recommended stroller starter set is a traditional pram type stroller which comprises a chassis, bassinet/carrycot, a seat that can face either way, fixed wheels and a nice large wire shopping basket. You use the bassinet/carrycot when then baby is very young so that the baby can lie completely flat,safe and cozy. It also makes a great first bed too. Once your baby is able to sit up, you can then progress to the seat first facing towards you then away.

I would also buy a lightweight umbrella style stroller for quick trips for when the baby is older and able to sit up. I personally I prefer Maclarens, but Combis are great too.

In addition, I would get a sling, like the Maya Wrap, Didymos or Baby Bjorn, depending on your preference and budget, to use when for quick trips when the baby is very little.

I personally don't like to keep babies in car seats/carriers longer than necessary, ie car journeys, so I wouldn't want a Kolcraft frame.

Deborah