PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for HOT weather

raynjen
08-15-2002, 10:51 PM
My DD is 9 1/2 months, we've outgrown the Bjorn (can only use it for about 10 minutes before my back starts crying) and our OTSBH is too hot for a Texas summer. Any suggestions? Thanks for the opinions.
Jen

egoldber
08-16-2002, 08:27 AM
Have you tried an unpadded sling like the Maya Wrap? That may work for you in the heat.

DDplusTwinsMommy
08-16-2002, 09:21 AM
We live in FL and understand HOT! I got the Hip Hammock (chambray or light denim, I forget what they called it!) and it works pretty good. There is an option to get it lined, but I didn't get that. My kids are 14 mos old. But then again, I just use it for quick trips, don't really walk outside for any length of time. I'm more concerned with sun exposure than with sweating!! LOL

Susan

hardysmom
08-16-2002, 11:05 AM
I am in Oklhaom so I get the heat, although we can't complain too much this summer! Several backpack style carriers have mesh backs which keep things cool. Personally, I am very excited about the Vaude Swing because I don't feel geared-up to go on a jungle excursion with it. Its small, simple, and low-profile. It is perfect for Baby-Bjorn type excursions, but can handle toddlers and longer distances. You can order from www.kidssource.com for around $100. Kelty's lower-end carriers are also very nice (although they are a bit bigger) and have a kick-stand. Evenflo has a couple of back carriers with mesh backs at BRU.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the hoods for any carriers to be very good. They tend to get in the way more than they help. I wouldn't pay extra for one, rather spend the $15 on a good sun-hat and some sunscreen.

Stephanie