PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Full Recline, Decent Stroller!

LD92599
08-17-2002, 08:24 PM
I have been lurking on these boards for a few months and am starting to give serious thought to strollers. We've already purchased an Instep 20K Jogger for neighborhood walks, etc. Have also pretty much narrowed it down to the MaClaren Techno/Techno XT for 6 months and beyond. Now I'm looking for something to use for the first 6 months...was originally thinking about the Kolcraft Universal Carrier, but after reading about not leaving infants in it for longer than necessary, we are reconsidering that idea (though we're planning on using the Baby Bjorn alot during the first few months as well).

Any suggestions? Would want something fully reclining...prefer non-Graco (been reading the boards ALOT!) and something not TOO heavy! Would also like something that could take an infant seat. Parent tray, basket, etc aren't all that important!

I'm probably asking for too much (would consider an older, clearance model of something!).

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Laura
Due Date: February 26th, 2003

hipmaman
08-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi Laura,

You didn't mention your budget, but I thought since you consider the Techno or Techno XT, why not look at the Maclaren Global.

It has the full recline for newborn, carseat adaptable, umbrella style, decent basket, plusher uphostery, with the front bumper bar, etc. When you need to use the carseat for quick trip, you can use it as a travel system (instead of the Universal Carrier). When you are walking around for longer period, use the stroller with the seat reclined totally for the baby (instead of a fully-recline stroller that you're asking for suggestion). When the baby is older/can sit up, it is your full-size umbrella stroller (instead of the Techno/XT).

Hope that helps.

http://www.maclarenstrollers.com/pages/globaltravelsystem.html

strollerqueen
08-18-2002, 02:13 AM
I would take a look at the COmbi Ultra Savvy. It is the lightest full-recline stroller on the market, and does take infant car seats. That again would eliminate the need for the Kolcraft, and the Techno. I personally don't like Macs for young babies, as I have posted. THe angle of the seat recline makes it very difficult to sit up well. Most little ones also prefer a front bar. The sun canopy on the Combi shields much better as well.

ONce babies can walk, they have enough muscular control to sit better in Macs. But out of all my strollers, the Macs are really low on the list of preference for my 16-month-old. My 4-year-old likes them, though.

LD92599
08-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I remember seeing a link on here awile back re: 2001 Pliko's for $99 at DMart [http://www.dmartstores.com/plikmatfor201.html] ....and they still have them. So I bought a Pliko for $99 and will then get the Techno later on.

Thanks again!
Laura
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

newbelly2002
03-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Just wondering Laura what you still thought of your InStep 20K. Dh wants a jogging stroller and I have the chance to buy one used for 75 Euro. Do you use this stroller for jogging? It would be mostly trails, soft dirt as we live near a park. DH is quite tall at 6'2" so that's also a concern. DS is older now, 19 months, but also on the tall side.

Basically, are you happy with this stroller? Drawbacks?

Thanks!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

ntrainer
03-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm just wondering why you're looking for a second stroller when the MacLaren Techno XT does recline fully (to 170 degrees), so that it can accommodate a newborn.

If using the Techno XT for the first 6 months makes you nervous, and you're looking for something that can take an infant car seat, I'm not sure why you're worried about the Kolcraft Universal Carrier. I mean, it's not the Kolcraft product itself that causes parents to leave children in their car seats too long... it's just parents' behavior. But having that $50 stroller would allow you the option of leaving your infant in the car seat, and it's much less expensive than buying an entirely separate stroller for the first 6 months (which seems to me to be a bit of a waste of money, considering -- again, you've got the Techno XT).

Caveat: I should mention that I'm not talking from experience... I'm due on May 18 with my first baby and am considering the same issues. My advice simply comes from what I've read and/or discussed with my family and girlfriends. Good luck!