PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a lightweight DOUBLE stroller.. yikes.. Help!

joodyjr
08-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Even though I shudder at the thought, I'm fearing that I may be forced to purchase the DOUBLE STROLLER..duh duh du du. A new baby sister is due in October to torment her currently 22 month old brother for the rest of his life. The only reason I fear this is because those things look huge. I live in nowhere land where Graco's abound. I know for certain, I don't want a Graco. Also, recently I've been researching this topic online and just bought the 4th Edition of Baby Bargains (can't find my 3rd ed. anywhere..). I gather that a jogging stroller isn't for us. I doubt I'd even get it into the trunk of my Nissan Altima. Which that also poses a problem, I'm not blessed with a minivan. Sure, I'm married to a car salesman, Sales manager at that. But do you think he'd let me have a vehicle that suits my needs... NOOOOO. Is it unreasonable to think I should have a bigger vehicle so I can purchase a stroller with lots of bells and whistles?
Sheesh. Anyway, back to the mission. I also don't think I'd enjoy a tandem as they are reputed to be hard to maneuver. I also think I'd spend more time trying to get it into the trunk than actually using it. This miracle stroller that I'm in search of will be used for mainly mall walks, occasional walks through our development, (not so rough roads, and I mean occasional), and visits to grandma's in a small town with bumpy sidewalks. I currently have a Century 4-in-1. I actually love that stroller. It weighs more than my car I think, but it turns on a dime and is quite comfy for DS. However it's only flaw is that it doesn't accomodate two children. Sheesh again! I'm thinking a side by side lightweight is a good option and I'm willing to shell out the bucks if it's worth the bucks. There is a possiblity that this will go through a third child in the future. (Haven't had this one yet, may change mind quickly!)My concerns are that a side by side will not fit through doors, although I've read good things about Maclarens on that issue. Does anyone have any input on:
Peg Perego Aria Twin, Maclaren Twin Traveller and/or Opus Duo?
My son will be 2 in October when his sister is born. I want something that will accomodate a toddler and newborn, and fit through doorways, not weigh a ton and fit in my trunk. Sounds easy enough? Sure, sure.....My thanks in advance for the wisdom that anyone cares to share, as my most unfortunate situation includes my not being able to see these higher end strollers in person. My purchase will likely be made online, sight unseen from a reputable retailer with a good return policy.

hipmaman
08-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Have not fear ;). I have two words for you... MOUNTAIN BUGGY. http://www.mountainbuggyusa.com. You have a choice of swivel front wheels or fixed front wheels.

They are light, narrow enough to fit through doors, but have seats wide enough for older kids, compact, fold supper easy, suitable for newborn as well. I know for a fact that the Urban double (my friend's) fits in her Honda Accord car trunk without needing to take the wheels off.

MB is new to the US, but gaining popularity.

angusmom
08-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Look at the COMBI Twin Savvy!!! Very lightweight! Nice fold!

You can find it at www.babysupermall.com

Good luck!

joodyjr
08-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I looked at those and really liked the style but my biggest concern was how it would fit in my trunk. Thanks for the info, I'll take another look!

joodyjr
08-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I also had info on that as well and was leaning toward it!
Thanks so much for the info!

DDplusTwinsMommy
08-19-2002, 08:04 PM
I first bought the Combi Twin Savvy - love it!! I bought it for it's weight and that it can accomodate babies nicely. It stays in my car.

A year later I bought the Mountain Buggy Double Urban - love it too!! It stays in the garage for everyday walks, but I know I'll use it on trips to the zoo, Disney, etc.

Not much help, but both are great strollers. If weight is your major thing, I'd go for Combi.

Susan