PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hammock, which fabric did you choose?

Kate888
08-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone, I think I'm going to get a hip hammock for my trip to Taiwan. I've looked on the website and liked several of the fabrics. Any suggestions? If you have one, which fabric did you choose and how do you like it? Did you choose to have the fleece lining or not?

Thanks for feeding my curiosity!

Kate :)

rachelfran
08-20-2002, 09:34 PM
i got it in black - boring, I know

i wasn't crazy about the fabrics - plus, thought they would look funny if i was wearing a patterned shirt... that's me

i did get the fleece - didn't realize there was a choice on that but figured it would be soft - i did get the left handed version - since i am and that's the first and only time i had that kind of a choice...

i just used mine, btw - went to arizona alone with my 10 yr old and my 13 month old - we got a seat for the baby and i had the baby in the hammock and was able to carry the carseat to our row - did the same on the return trip - I also used it at the Grand Canyon - in places where it was too rocky for the stroller -

DDplusTwinsMommy
08-21-2002, 08:33 AM
I got the chambray (lt.denim), not lined, for Florida weather! I also didn't like the fabrics because of the designs and this was the only one that came unlined at the time. That might have changed since then, you'll have to ask Nancie. She's really helpful!!

Have fun on your trip!!

Susan

Kate888
08-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think the only unlined HH is still Denim. The other fabrics are all lined with fleece. It's good to know that you both enjoy using it. My DD is just too heavy for me in the Baby Bjorn carrier (16 lbs). My shoulders hurt. I'm debating between the purple cordura, denim and teddy bear pattern. I like the black cordura too, but I wear too much white and the lint shows on the black fabric. Nancie said the hemp fabric is very popular, cause it's neutral. Don't know if hemp feels rougher than other fabrics.

Susan, does the denim change color or shape after wash? Denim feels very soft to me (I have a swatch with me).

Kate :)

DDplusTwinsMommy
08-22-2002, 08:49 AM
No, Kate, I didn't notice a difference in shape or color, but I've only washed it once. It is what I call chambray, very light weight demin. Almost NOT a denim as you would think in jeans.

I didn't see the hemp fabric, but it sure sounds "rough!" Hope this helps some! Good Luck! SUSAN

jenfed
08-26-2002, 09:09 AM
I have the Black fabric with black fleece. I like it a lot, but when it's really hot, the fleece lining is definitely a warm.

Kate888
08-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the helpful input. I think I'm going to get the unlined HH. DD gets warm very easily and becomes fussy. I don't know if all babies are like little "heaters", or it's just her :)

Kate

ameelo
08-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Hi Kate,

Glad to hear you're investigating the HH. I find its the perfect travel carrier as its so easy to put on/off once you have it adjusted to fit you.

I actually have two. I have the hemp/black fleece lining. Nicholas also gets pretty warm easily but have to admit that I don't really use it outdoors as I have the Vaude Swing backpack which we love. I've also taken the Swing on a trip when I knew that I would have longer layovers...its just not quite as convenient as the HH. The hemp is rougher than a normal fabric at first but has softened a bit. And to tell the truth, I never minded the roughness anyhoo...it didn't rub me or anything. I did get a water stain on it and had to wet the whole thing so it would all be equally stained! LOL. But you can't tell...it just looks a bit darker than it originally did.

HTH,

Amee

Kate888
08-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks Amee! I was very curious about how the hemp fabric feels like. Now I think I know. I'm curious if you ever tried the hip carrier from the Right Start. It looks very similar to the HH.

Kate

ameelo
08-30-2002, 12:24 PM
I haven't tried the RS hip carrier. I just got a rave recommendation from Susan (Wubee) on Parents Place Stroller board and I called Nancie and she nextday aired me one as I was leaving for my first solo w/baby plane trip a couple of days later. The rest is history! LOL.

Anyway, I did forget to mention that the 2nd one I got was a chambray/chambray HH. The hemp/black fleece is my favorite for some reason. The hemp does have a burlapy feel to it but not quite so prickly. Kinda similar in texture but the weave is tighter and the actual hemp threads are softer than burlap. And it has softened to where it feels like a soft nubby fabric in a couple of "high-traffic" spots.

I think that you will be pretty happy with the chambray or the hemp. You should call Nancie again because I think she had other options as to lining if you were willing to wait for her to cutom make one. But she was about halfway thru a pregnancy when I got mine earlier this year so she may not be able to make them anymore. Worth a shot.

Amee