PDA

View Full Version : Combi SUBV or Travel Savvy for WDW

KathyK
08-21-2002, 11:04 AM
We're going to WDW in November with DD who will be 11 months old. We go to WDW often, and also went when DD was 5 months old. The last time, we drove, and we brought both the Metrolite and a hand-me-down umbrella stroller. The Metrolite was fine for parks we could walk or boat to, but was just a little too bulky for the resort buses. The umbrella didn't have a canopy or basket, so I was worried about DD baking in the sun (well, the basket has nothing to do with that).

So, I am looking for a stroller that folds compactly, has a canopy, and a basket. We will be flying this time, so loading the car up with our stroller collection is not an option.

I have narrowed it down to two Combi strollers - the SUBV (which seems to be very popular on the Disney message boards I follow) and the Travel Savvy. My friend, who "drives" an Ultra Savvy seems to think that the Travel Savvy is worth the extra cost because the basket is probably a little bigger. I know that the Combi baskets are notoriously small to begin with. This stroller will only be used for vacations, and I will probably stick to my Metrolite for general use.

Any opinions?

suzska
08-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, I haven't used any of the Savvy strollers, but I do own a Combi Convenience that I bought specifically for going to WDW this past January. We flew, so we gate checked the stroller. We were travelling with a large group (me, DH, Evan, my parents and my two brothers, and occassionally my aunt, uncle, cousin, her DH, and their two kids), so having enough hands to hold the baby, the diaper bag, and fold the stroller to get onto the buses, etc. was not a problem. Since travel was down in January, the buses weren't too crowded, so the size of the stroller certainly wasn't a problem.

I think the bigger the basket, the better. We were able to fit our Lands' End Do-It-All along with a few light jackets in the basket. The canopy could have been bigger, but I just carried along a light receiving blanket to throw over the canopy when Evan was napping.

HTH!

cak
08-26-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't have any experience with the Travel Savvy but I have the SUBV and hate it. I bought it when my daughter was 8 months old and replaced it with a Maclaren Quest within 2 months. I also have the Combi Convenience stroller and while I found it was difficult to fold, I liked it overall so I figured I'd like the SUBV for a lightweight option. I found it even harder to fold than the Convenience. It just seemed hit and miss, sometimes doing it easily, other times a total struggle. When it did fold, it was very compact and I did like the built in carrying strap. My husband works for Disney by the way and we go to the parks often. It is nice to be able to carry the stroller onto the parking tram. I also hated the flimy bottom of the SUBV, it doesn't seem very padded. The recline is by a strap and it stopped working within weeks, staying always in the recline position which is part of the problem with the folding difficulty I had. The basket is very tiny, almost useless. Overall, I knew I wasn't paying a lot for it in the first place and sort of gambled that I would like it. When it didn't work out, I was happy to try for something else that did. I've seen the Travel Savvy in the stores and it seems nicer than the SUBV but like I said, I can't personally say much about it. I nope this helps a bit. Have fun at Disney!