PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Mountain Buggy?

KathyO
08-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Has anyone flown with a single mountain buggy (the Urban)? We are going out to visit in-laws, and I am torn. The Graco is narrower, folds flatter, and has a larger basket. Doubtless more convenient for flying.

But once we're there, I know I'll yearn for the MB's go-anywhere sturdiness. The in-laws live in an area with lots of wooded trails, and for my sanity, I'm going to need to take lots of walks. (Lovely folks, but, ummm... trust me, I'm gonna need to get out regularly.)

Is the folded MB too big to be x-rayed and gate checked? What if I sew a zippered canvas bag for it and pop off the wheels to make a flatter package when I get there? (Easy to do.) Fortunately I will have DH along as fellow pack animal and baby-handler.

Which should it be?

Dithering,

KathyO

hipmaman
08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Kathy,

MB makes a travel bag and I am sure Cheryl has the singles stocked. But if you are handy with the sewing machine, then make one for protection for you MB. Here is what it looks like http://www.mountainbuggy.ca/1899.htm

Mind you, if you take your Graco and if anything wrong happen to it, you won't cry, but you would if it's your MB.

I would email the airline and ask if you would be able to gate-check the MB (rather than cargo check it). Give them the dimensions if that would help. Email and print out the response sometimes is better than asking, I tend to get different answers when it's the phone.

egoldber
08-22-2002, 09:32 PM
I have seen HUGE strollers being gate checked, so I really wouldn't worry about that. Also, if your stroller is too large to go through Xray, they will hand screen it. Just plan on this taking extra time.

I am a HUGE fan of taking the stroller you want at your destination, rather than the one most convenient for travel. UNLESS you are flying along. Then I take my Mac. Contradictory enough advice for you? :)

strollerqueen
08-22-2002, 09:47 PM
I totally agree with Beth! Worst case scenario, if the airline wrecks it, they will replace it. Fortunately, none of my strollers were ever damaged in flying.