PDA

View Full Version : "Sex and the City" stroller

babybabybaby
08-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Does anyone watch SATC? If so, do you know what kind of stroller Miranda was using this week? It looks pretty cool.

tarheelmom
08-27-2002, 08:44 AM
Some of the very knowledgeable ladies on the stroller board at parentsplace.com identified it yesterday as a Bugaboo Frog. It is not available in the US yet, but the company is apparently working on it. I tried to do a link here to the stroller board where they discussed it - it was under topic #39. I really liked that cute stroller, too!

http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppstrollers132.html

rachelfran
08-27-2002, 09:10 AM
typical satc
she doesn't know anything about vibrating seats but can get a european stroller.. explain that!

uccomama
08-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Yes, it was the Bugaboo Frog with bassinet. I have one and just love it! You can see it at: http://www.bugaboo.nl

Deborah

luvtoshop
08-27-2002, 11:04 AM
Deborah---Did you have to buy the bassinet separately?

thanks!

riostoker
08-27-2002, 01:01 PM
That is an AWESOME looking stroller!!! Strollerqueen... when are you going to try it out and give us the review??? :)

ann

uccomama
08-27-2002, 01:44 PM
You can buy the stroller complete with the bassinet. Also comes with rain cover and mosquito net. I didn't get the bassinet because I no longer have an infant so didn't need it. I did get the Bugaboo rolling board as I have a four year old and it is awesome, much, much better than the Lascal Kiddy/Buggy Board.

Deborah

uccomama
08-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Well, if she wants to try it out, she is going to have to take a trip to Boulder, CO! But I can give you a review if you want!

Deborah

riostoker
08-27-2002, 04:05 PM
Yep... I'd love to hear a review. It just looks so cool! How did you manage to get one anyway?

Thanks,
ann

uccomama
08-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Without doubt this is the easiest stroller I have ever pushed. It steers magnificently, it blows all the other strollers I have ever owned (and that’s a lot) out of the water in terms of steering and handling.

It isn’t the easiest stroller to use in the fact you need to remove the seat to fold the chassis, but this only takes two seconds to do, so it isn’t really isn’t a biggie. The stroller is just under 20lbs so it is quite light for a full feature stroller too. The break is on the handle bar which I think is an excellent feature. I find it really useful at crosswalks when I can pop the break on while waiting for the light to change and then disengage it in a second and I am off, no having to adjust the front wheels to get going again, which I find often happens with my Teutonia PiXXel.

It is also extremely versatile, in that the seat can face either way, and it can be quickly converted to an A/T stroller by reversing the handle. It is also unique in that it can be pulled along on the two large wheels, so that it will even go over sand.

The basket isn’t that generous, but it has a neat feature of a drawstring cover over it which helps keep objects inside and allows you load it up higher than if it had no cover.

As you would expect in a (very) expensive stroller the quality is excellent. It is superbly engineered in every aspect. I really wish I had bought this stroller earlier, because my stroller baby is now 2.5 years old, so I envisage probably only one year of use out of it -- unless we have baby #4!

I bought the stroller direct from Bugaboo in Holland, but it will be available in the US in a few months I believe. I have emailed Bugaboo asking them if they know exactly when. If anyone wants the purchasing information, I would be happy to forward the info I recieved from Bugaboo.

If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them.

Deborah

spa
08-27-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi Deborah, Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I definitely have "stroller envy." Do you think that the stroller would be useful in a pedestrian city like NYC, where apartments are small, sidewalks are crooked, and a heavy stroller is way too much of a burden?? With shipping, was the Bugaboo about $750US? What are your other strollers, and how does this compare?

babybabybaby
08-27-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm also interested in knowing if this would be a good NYC stroller. It seemed kind of cumbersom on the show.

uccomama
08-27-2002, 06:39 PM
>" Do you think that the
>stroller would be useful in a pedestrian city like NYC,
>where apartments are small, sidewalks are crooked, and a
>heavy stroller is way too much of a burden?? With shipping,
>was the Bugaboo about $750US? What are your other strollers,
>and how does this compare?

I think the Bugaboo is a great stroller for a pedestrian city like NYC. It just zips along. It pushes way, way better and is more maneuverable than my Mac Techno; bumpy sidewalks are absolutely no problem for it. Where my Techno lurches on small bumps and curbs the Bugaboo glides over them, very "pram like". Also, the Bugaboo really isn't a large stroller at all, and the wheel base is quite short, but the seat is nice and roomy. The only thing is it doesn't fold in one piece. But it is actually great if you have to carry it up stairs because it does fold in two pieces, the frame weighs very little and it isn't hard or awkward, at all, to carry both the frame and seat.

I think I paid around $660 with shipping, which was Euros 110. I paid less because I didn't buy the carrycot, although I did buy the Bugaboo board which was Euros 69. I also got the shopping clips which attach to the handle bar. I find them really useful for carrying my diaper bag, but because the stroller is light, and my diaper bag is heavy, it does make the stroller a little tippy. Not nearly as tippy as the Maclaren though. Also, bear in mind the prices quoted on the Bugaboo site include VAT at 19 percent which, if the stroller is being shipping to the US, you won't have to pay. Bugaboo CS is the best they answer emails promptly and throughly.

My other strollers include a Mac Techno, a Quinny Formula 3 which is another Dutch stroller, but this is a three wheel A/T stroller, an Emmaljunga EC Sport and a Teutonia PiXXel. I love all my strollers for different reasons, but I think I love the Bugaboo the most. It pushes by far the best of all of them and I love having DS being able to face towards me when it's just the two of us. I have him facing out when I am with DD and am using the board.

Edited to add:

I also think the Bugaboo would make a good urban stroller because the seat is high up and would help to keep baby out of the traffic fumes.

Deborah

luvtoshop
08-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Great review! Thanks! Now I'm having "buyers remorse" for splurging on a Gucci "shopper" for myself---dang, could have a Bugaboo instead! : )

I would love the information regarding when it'll arrive in the states.

Thanks!

zane
08-27-2002, 11:44 PM
I have to know!!! What is a Gucci Shopper???!!!!zane

rachelfran
08-28-2002, 07:39 AM
a tote bag

spa
08-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Thanks Deborah. At this point, my husband would flip if I spent $660 on a stroller, but since your youngest is 2 1/2 and you just got it (my son is not even 7 mos.), there's hope. I will wait till it hits the States. Other questions: How old are your other kiddies? Is the Teutonia line a bit cheaper than the Bugaboo?

uccomama
08-28-2002, 02:09 PM
My kids are 12 and 4 and 2 years. Some Teutonias for sure are cheaper than the Bugaboo. But some of the models probably are quite close in price, especially those from the new 2003 range. Teutoina has some very cool strollers!

Deborah

quinn1
08-28-2002, 05:01 PM
hey, I just thought I'd add my two cents--I have the bugaboo stroller, too. It is absolutely wonderful! I live at the beach and it is like a dream pushing that thing with my 25+ pound chubber across the sand! My friend has to park her peg on the boardwalk and carry her toddler. Most strollers are such a pain to get on the beach. I love the reversible handles, too! I'll admit, it is expensive, but so worth the money! Lots of moms I know spend more than that by the time they buy multiple stollers, like joggers, double strollers etc. I hear they are coming to the U.S. soon, I know their web site is www/bugaboo.nl/us. Thanks!

strollerqueen
08-29-2002, 01:44 AM
Oh, man, what are you guys doing to me? I'm already several chapters, and several strollers, behind, on "Adventures in Strollerland!" Don't tempt me with anything more--at least until I'm all caught up!;) ;) ;)

strollerqueen
08-29-2002, 01:47 AM
I can explain it, now! The bouncy seats obviously weren't being sold at an upscale maternity boutique! (See post below)}>

hipmaman
08-29-2002, 07:33 AM
Okay, I have to ask Deborah and Quin1...

Since you have the Bugaboo Frogs, have you looked at the Mutsy before buying the Frog? I know Deb mentioned that she looked and decided on the Frog because she needed the riding board which the Mutsy didn't have. But comparatively, how are the two comapare?

For those who are curious about these Mutsy, here is the link http://www.mutsy.com/en/fts/FRAMESET_KW.htm. Prepare to drool! I know have been drooling and tempted ;)

Thanks.

uccomama
08-29-2002, 07:44 AM
But beside the board, the other reason I didn't get it was because of weight. The Musty I think is way heavier than the Bugaboo. I remember seeing a comparison on a link from the NL Bugaboo site. It was in Dutch so I couldn't really understand it. But I could deduce the Bugaboo was rated much higher than the Musty and was quite a bit lighter.

Deb

mama2be
08-29-2002, 12:23 PM
Now I am interested in the Bugaboo and have been surfing their site...I am confused as to what you actually get with the "original purchase"...is it the sling like seat and the pram part???

I am insearch of pram and was going to get the bertini but this looks more appealing. They use the term "carrycot fabric" and wondering what that is...

In otherwords is the "pram" looking part a separate purchase or do you get all of this???

Thanks ladies for any insight...

strollerqueen
08-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Hey Quinn1! I have a few Q's, too, if you don't mind. How long have you had your Bugaboo? DO you use it in and out of the car, or just for outside? DOes your baby seem comfy in it? How did you wind up choosing it? DO you have other strollers, or is that the only one? Did you order directly from Europe? Finally, what color did you get?

Thanks so much! I have been eyeing it since last year!:)

uccomama
08-29-2002, 02:23 PM
>Now I am interested in the Bugaboo and have been surfing
>their site...I am confused as to what you actually get with
>the "original purchase"...is it the sling like seat and the
>pram part???

If you buy the complete Bugaboo Frog you get chassis, seat frame, seat, very padded not like a jogger sling seat, the bassinet (carrycot) with matress and cover, this attaches to the seat frame, raincover and mosquito net.

>
>I am insearch of pram and was going to get the bertini but
>this looks more appealing. They use the term "carrycot
>fabric" and wondering what that is...

Carrycot is the Euro (ie English) word for bassinet. The carrycot farbic is the what attaches to the seat frame to make the bassinet.
>
>In otherwords is the "pram" looking part a separate purchase
>or do you get all of this???

The pram part comes with the complete set. You can buy the Bugaboo without it if you so wish, which is what I did because I didn't need the carrycot (bassinet).

Clear?!

Deborah

mama2be
08-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Deborah,

Thanks so much...you explained it beautifully, sounds like a lot comes with the purchase!!!

ameelo
08-31-2002, 01:56 PM
OK...went to the Bugaboo US site and they say its due in Dec 2000 but that you can currently order factory direct for Holland. They are taking a waiting list! LOL. The list price is $699 and $649 without the carry cot (I think thats the difference.) Also, Liz Lange in NY and in Beverly Hills currently have models to touch, push etc but not to sell. The Liz Lange lady said that Bugaboo will have a carseat adapter by the time they distribute in December. She also gave me the phone number and email of the Bugaboo US rep if we had any questions.

Kari 310.939.1959 [email protected]

I emailed her today with a bunch of questions so will let you guys know if she tells me anything useful.

Also, for those who have the Bugaboo, does it seem cheaper to just buy direct as the US price will be $699 (plus shipping I imagine?)

The Liz Lange lady said the fabric is a cordura?!?

Amee

uccomama
08-31-2002, 02:40 PM
Its cheaper to get it from Holland. I paid just under $660 ($657 I think) and that was when the dollar was low against the Euro. This price included 110 Euros for shipping and the rolling board (69 Euros). I did not get the carrycot though.

Deborah

Nooknookmom
08-31-2002, 04:36 PM
Q: Exactly how "padded" is the seat? I can't tell from the website...

Thanx-TM

uccomama
08-31-2002, 05:35 PM
>Q: Exactly how "padded" is the seat? I can't tell from the
>website...

Something went wrong with my first attempt at replying to this message, I tried to attach a pic of my Bugaboo to the post, but it didn't work.

Anyway, its padded! About the same as my 2001 Teutonia PiXXel, more padded than the Emma EC Sport, way more padded than the Mac Techno, and slightly less padded than my Quinny Formula 3. These are the strollers I have to compare. It is not like a jogger seat, ie sling style with no padding.

Hope this helps!

Deborah

Nooknookmom
08-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your excellent review! I bet there will be many more Frogs hopping around the sidewalks soon!

Oh, one more question: since the seat does not lie flat (it just rotates flat)-how easy would it be to change the diaper of a squirmy baby? Is there enough room in the seat area?

trina :) :7

quinn1
08-31-2002, 10:59 PM
Hi, hope this helps.
I've had my Bugaboo for about 15 months. I love it. I use it for just about everything. I found I didn't need a lot once I got it. I do use it in and out of the car. I want a good stroller no matter if I'm shopping, at a grocery store or just taking a walk. It's so easy to break down (just 2 steps) in my car and takes up hardly any room. I wanted a really versitile stroller and so far it's been great.

My son loves it. He loves the fact that he can sit straight up in it and lean on the handle bar if he wants. The other great thing I found is that if he falls asleep while in it, i can click it to lay flat so he is sleeping comfortably.

The other stroller I have is a Bob jogger. I use it really to just jog.

I can't really say enough about how much it does and how great its been for us. Hope that answers your questions.

Oh and we bought it in Europe when we were traveling there before I had my baby. I had heard about it through some of my friends that lived in Europe. So we made the purchase when we lived there. Great they are here to make it easier for you. And I got the red. It's fun.

Good luck!

uccomama
09-01-2002, 08:32 AM
You could probably change a very young baby's diaper on the seat. But if I were to use it from birth I would definitely get the carrycot.

Deborah

luvtoshop
09-01-2002, 12:23 PM
Oh, the reviews are so tempting....

First wanted to say that I had S&TC on Tivo and watched the episode again....I don't think it was a Bugaboo?? I didn't see the brake on the handle.

Zane--Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Yes, the Gucci shopper is a Gucci totebag. It's very cute and roomy. The saleswoman mentioned that I could have a snap put on the top so that it would stay shut. She's seen many customers add that for convenience.

quinn1
09-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Gucci sounds fab.

But yes, in fact it is a Bugaboo that Miranda has. I saw it on Sunday and the logo was as clear as day. Plus the Bugaboo is very recognisable. I have one so I'm certain it is it.

The brake is on the inside of handle, it's not like a jogging brake or a bike brake.

sbirmantaz
09-02-2002, 08:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is a basket for the bugaboo? Also, I wonder if there are any plans to make a double stroller? Thanks!

uccomama
09-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Yes, it comes with a basket, see my post above.

Deborah

winnepegg
09-03-2002, 01:19 PM
For those of you that live in L.A., I was in Liz Lange over the weekend and saw 2 different bugaboo styles on display there. I didn't ask what they were doing there, but I'm pretty sure one of them was the frog...

jfolker
09-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the helpful review.

Does the frog accept infant seats? Also, it's hard to tell from the photos, but can it be used as a jogger too? Considering the price, we'd like to get as much use from it as we can.

thanks,
Jim

uccomama
09-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Yes, the Bugaboo Frog does have a car seat adapter, but I believe it only takes Maxi Cosi infant seats which aren't available in the US. The company may well be producing one for the US market you would have to check with the US distributor.

I have never jogged with mine, so I don't know if you can jog with it. It will certainly work off road though.

Deborah

MomInClogs
09-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Yes, it currently accepts the Maxi Cosi infant seat available and approved for use in Europe only. I think that the Bugaboo subsidiary in the USA is working on a connector for carseats in the USA.

And, no, it is not appropriate for jogging.

I'm an American expat currently living in the Netherlands--and I spent this afternoon looking more closely at the Bugaboo at the shops in Amsterdam and at my friend's house--she just bought the orange one. Very bright!

My husband and I looked at Bugaboos last year before our baby arrived, and we almost bought one. There were a few things that we didn't like about it then: the seat seemed too small for older babies and the stroller was so very new on the market. Wary parents-to-be, we instead bought the Bertini Sport (lovingly known as our "SUV") for everyday use and the Combi Ultra Savvy for travel. Both are superb products that we couldn't do without.

However, after close re-examination of the Bugaboo today, the seat has been redesigned--bigger/deeper--and there is suspension on the wheels and a handbrake instead of a footbrake. It moves very smoothly. My friend had forgotten to put air in the tires yet it maneuvered quite easliy in the streets anyway! That was impressive.

So I am looking at the Bugaboo again (much to my husband's disbelief!)because I would like a stroller that is in-between the Bertini and the Combi Ultra Savvy. I can't take the Bertini on journeys far away from home without the car, and gravel walks and cobblestone streets--typical European terrain--is "challenging" for the Combi. It's great for aiports, smooth American sidewalks and malls though.

I am again considering the Bugaboo for its versatility and ability to fulfill certain stroller needs, and, of course, the brilliant overall design--now that my DS can better fit into the seat! We live near the beach, so it would be nice to be able to take him through the sand dunes in the stroller. The Bugaboo didn't go over the street curbs and edges as easily as the Bertini though. I don't need the pram since I have the Bertini, but it seemed very well designed too. You just swap the pram fabric from the frame and replace it with the seat fabric. I wish that it folded down as one piece and a bit smaller for easier airplane and train travel, but so far you can't have everything in one product when it comes to strollers. If there were such a stroller, the designer should receive the Nobel Prize for technological achievement!

cglow9
09-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Has anyone taken their Bugaboo along as a travel stroller? Airplanes, etc?

How easily does it breakdown? Would you recommend it for travel? Does anyone know if it can be purchased in London?

I recently discovere the thread on the Mountain Buggy - has anyone compared the 2? (Oddly enough, DH has to go to London in 2 weeks, and my sister lives in New Zealand, so we should be able to get our hands on either on if we decided to buy).

Currently, have the Combi Ultra Savvy 6620 and a jogging stroller (which I just got on sale for $99 from www.onestepahead.com) - need something that we can travel with.

uccomama
09-03-2002, 10:08 PM
I haven't flown with mine, and I don't think I would either. You need to remove the seat to fold it. It just takes a second or two, but I still wouldn't want to have to deal with, and gate two pieces of stroller.

I also don't think the Bugaboo is available in London or anywhere in the UK for that matter. At least it doesn't appear so from their website and I have never seen it on any of the UK stroller sites.

Deborah

jfolker
09-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info on the Bugaboo. I showed the Bugaboo website to my wife last night, and she vetoed it (no basket, can't accept US infant seats (yet), and too expensive). So now we're looking into the Teutonia Y2K or Pixxel.

thanks again for the help.

---Jim

uccomama
09-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Just so you know, the Bugaboo does have a basket. I also have the Teutonia PiXXel if you need any info on that!

Deborah

jfolker
09-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Deborah--

I think that even with the basket, the Bugaboo will be hard for me to sell to my wife. But thanks for the info.

About the PiXXel, are you happy with it? We need something for long walks on the city streets of Chicago (a mix of rough sidewalks and smooth ones), and we want to also be able to put in in the trunk of the car for trips to the suburbs.

Our overall stroller plan to attempt to limit it to two -- a jogging stroller and one other one. We know that the jogger can't be used for at least six months, so we're not too concerned about that now. This is our first baby (due in December), so we're still trying to figure a lot of things out.

thanks,
Jim

uccomama
09-04-2002, 03:14 PM
>
>About the PiXXel, are you happy with it? We need something
>for long walks on the city streets of Chicago (a mix of
>rough sidewalks and smooth ones), and we want to also be
>able to put in in the trunk of the car for trips to the
>suburbs.
>
>Our overall stroller plan to attempt to limit it to two -- a
>jogging stroller and one other one. We know that the jogger
>can't be used for at least six months, so we're not too
>concerned about that now. This is our first baby (due in
>December), so we're still trying to figure a lot of things
>out.

Jim, I love my PiXXel, it is a superbly engineered stroller. It pushes really smoothly and the air tires make going over rough sidewalks is no problem for it. It is very maneuverable for shopping trips and has a very generous sized basket. But at 34 lbs it is very heavy. I often keep the stroller in my trunk so I am used to lifting it in and out, so the weight doesn't really bother me, but I could understand how it might some people. To be honest, if you got the PiXXel and a Jogger, you would probably end up buying a very lightweight umbrella stroller sometime down the line to use for quick in and out trips. But most people do anyway.

I know your wife doesn't want the Bugaboo, but if I were to limit myself to two strollers then I would go for a jogger and the Bugaboo over the PiXXel, purely because it is much lighter and more compact.

Deborah

jfolker
09-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Deborah--

Thanks again for your help. This is my first expreience with an internet message board, and it's been a lot of fun,a nd really informative.

We'll keep considering the Bugaboo (it is so cool looking, and seems really versatile). We'll be in NYC next month, so maybe we'll try to go to the Liz Lange store and check it out in person. Seeing the actual stroller may convince us to spend the big bucks on it.

thanks,
Jim

mommyb
09-10-2002, 01:05 PM
I am currently thinking of getting the Peg Perego Venezia, a lightweight umbrella stoller and the universal carseat carrier. Do you think it would be better to just get the Bugaboo Frog?

weaver
09-15-2002, 04:51 AM
Hello Deborah,

First, I want to thank you for all your emails about the Bugaboo stroller! I'm expecting my third child at the end of October and need a new stroller. I have been looking at it online, but hadn't heard any personal feedback about it until reading your posting. I live in London and, as you may have read, it isn't available here yet. My husband had a chance to look at one in Amsterdam this week and had some reservations, so I wanted to pass on his concerns to you and get your opinion on those points, if you don't mind.

1. Have you used it off road? How smooth a ride is it over bumpy surfaces, cobblestones, muddy parks, etc when pushing with the large wheels positioned in front? My husband felt that the smaller wheels would prevent a smooth ride in such a situation, even if they were positioned at the rear.

2. The salesperson in the shop had no clue how to fold the stroller. She had to find the instructions and struggled to fold it. The folding procedure seemed time consuming and cumbersome to my husband. What do you think?

3. Is it easy to switch the direction of the seat?

4. Speaking of the seat, do you feel it is wide enough for an older child?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! And if anyone else has any comments or opinions I'd value those, too!

Erin

MomInClogs
09-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Hello Erin,

We bought a Bugaboo last week. In red. Very fun.

We live in The Hague which is just a stone's throw from you. It is our third stroller...we have a Combi Ultra Savvy for travel and tram/train rides and a Bertini for the rough urban terrain for our daily outings.

We have been test driving the Bugaboo this past week. It is more of our "in-between" stroller. We wanted a stroller with which we could travel--something with pneumatic tires to handle the rough terrains of our destinations be it in the city or countryside. So we bought the Bugaboo. The other air-tired strollers are quite heavy.

It did fairly well on the cobblestones (and in the rain) yesterday--much better than our Combi but not as well as our beloved Bertini Sport. The Bertini is still our best overall pram/stroller, but it is big. It has four steerable,large,inflatable tires--so, of course, it gives a bit of smoother ride than the Bugaboo. But I wouldn't want to have to take it (the Bertini) in and out of the car everyday. So far, nothing beats its steering despite its size--even the Bugaboo. But there are always trade-offs with strollers.

Having said that, the Bugaboo can turn on a dime though because it is so light and compact--we had fun "spinning" the baby around while waiting around while shopping. We had the smaller wheels in the front--much easier to steer over the rough terrain. We tried it the other way and it is not as easy to steer with the big wheels in front. It almost glides like a skate on ice on any smooth surface.

Folding is very straightforward and easy once you know what you're doing. It is not terribly compact (as compared with the Combi) although breaking it down is quite simple. Again, it is very lightweight but solid. For a stroller with air tires, it is quite compact. But again, the trade-offs.

We are planning to take it to New York in October to see how well it really travels. I doubt I would take it if my husband weren't traveling with me though. Bought the transport bag to protect it--it is quite sizable as well--but after traveling extensively with the baby these last 9 months, we would rather "suffer" with transporting a sturdy stroller (again, if we're traveling together) for rough terrain at our arrival destination (it's just to and from the airplane gates)than to bring a lightweight that is really at its best while mall crawling. Light strollers for older babies are great while in transit (especially when his carseat fit into the Combi) but not the best once you get somewhere that doesn't have smooth sidewalks or no sidewalks at all! My mother-in-law lives in countryside south of London, so we needed something that could handle the gravel and dirt paths as well as the city sidewalks--so we bought the Bugaboo.

It is sooooooooooooooooo easy to switch the seats around--and very easy to switch the direction of the handle. That is an impressive piece of engineering. The seat/pram frame just pops off with the push of the buttons. I think that it is quite convenient especially with the pram portion. Changing the angle of the seat is quite simple too.

DS is only 9 months old and 20 pounds--so I can't really tell you how bigger kids might fit in the seat. From looking around here where everyone has a Bugaboo it seems, the bigger kids seem to fit okay. I had my reservations about the seat size myself--our guy is not a tiny baby--that is why we didn't buy it last year when it was very new. I believe that he seat has been made bigger since the first generation of Bugaboos--but it isn't as roomy as the Bertini by a long way. But then again, these strollers fulfill greatly differing needs for us. The good thing about the Bertini is that I know that we can use it for a very long time because it is so generous in the seat.

I think that Deborah's child is older and using the Bugaboo. She can tell you more.

I hope that this helps you out a bit. We are lucky to be able to have three outstanding strollers for our different needs. But so far, we are happy to have the Bugaboo.

Kat

uccomama
09-15-2002, 08:52 AM
Hi Erin,

Here are my answers to your questions.

>1. Have you used it off road? How smooth a ride is it over
>bumpy surfaces, cobblestones, muddy parks, etc when pushing
>with the large wheels positioned in front? My husband felt
>that the smaller wheels would prevent a smooth ride in such
>a situation, even if they were positioned at the rear.

I have only taken it on some wooded ground once. I tried it in the swivel wheel position and it didn't go that great, but so I changed the handle on the fly to have the large wheels in front and it worked much better. It doesn't steer that great with the large wheels in front. You need to treat it as if it were a fixed wheel stroller. I have several fixed wheel strollers so this isn't a problem for me!
>
>2. The salesperson in the shop had no clue how to fold the
>stroller. She had to find the instructions and struggled to
>fold it. The folding procedure seemed time consuming and
>cumbersome to my husband. What do you think?

Oh, it does take getting used to. I know I found it tricky at first. When I got mine it came with the instructions only in Dutch or French so I really had to muddle through. But I figured it out in the end and now it is so quick and easy. When opening the stroller it is important to have it the right way round so that the handle opens in the right direction so that you get the swivel wheels in front. If you don't it isn't hard to change but it can be annoying! The seat then pops on in a second.
>
>3. Is it easy to switch the direction of the seat?

Yes, you just push in at the sides and remove it, turn it around and pop it back on. I have even done this with my toddler still in it. Don't recommend it though!
>
>4. Speaking of the seat, do you feel it is wide enough for
>an older child?

Plenty wide enough. I use mine with a 2.5 year old.

Deborah

weaver
09-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks to both everyone, especially Kat and Deborah.,for their comments! It helps me out tons. My husband has been laughing at how seriously I'm taking this stroller purchase, but I really want a good one this time around! Thank goodness for this website.

I'm hoping to check out the Bertini tomorrow, among other options, Kat. It sounds like you really love it.

Erin

MomInClogs
09-17-2002, 04:51 AM
Talking about strollers has become a joke in our house too!

I must say that after having the Bugaboo for a week now, that it is VERY easy to zip around tiny shop aisles with it. It is EXTREMELY compact! It is really fun to push it around. I can't put much shopping in the basket though. It is a generous basket, but the heavy duty metal basket on the Bertini is my life saver when it comes to hauling stuff around!You'll really appreciate the Bertini when on the rough streets--especially the steering which is fantastic. I tried the Bebeconfort last month and was greatly disappointed.

Hope your find what is perfect for you.

Kat

weaver
09-28-2002, 11:54 PM
I saw the Mutsy Urban Rider in London and, yes, it looks REALLY COOL but I have to say it was a pain in the neck to use. Nonetheless I was sorely tempted solely on looks!

First it is really heavy. It is tricky to lie back the seat, I don't know whether you could do it with the weight of a sleeping child in it easily at all. The basket is small and inaccessible. Folding it is not simple either, and it seemed large to me when folded.

The steering mechanism takes getting used to, and it has an overly large (IMO) turning radius as well.

It does have nice features in that it seems very sturdy, well-padded seat, pocket on the back of the seat, can use from birth, and a nice handle adjustment for height.

billeri
12-29-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure which episode you watched, but I do know that Miranda did have a Bugaboo for little Brady.

HTH!

adorablebaby
01-08-2005, 03:07 PM
hi
i recently purchased the bugaboo and love it...in the house....hah
it's been too cold to take it out with the exception of one day...
my question to you is: I have been practicing breaking down the stroller to put it into the car..,.and the release on the left side sticks..and is not easy to pull up..do you have this problem ? just wondering as I want to make sure that it is working properly, otherwise i will get a replacement.

THanks

Susan

jp96
01-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi,

I have been having this with the right release. Glad to hear I am not the only one!

JP