PDA

View Full Version : i know nothing

marisela
02-06-2003, 11:22 PM
I really need help. I am due in July 2003. We went for the first time to check out car seats, strollers and other items this past weekend. I have no clue what to look for. Any leads for checking out strollers. Brands, anything will help at this point.

Thanks
Marisela

flagger
02-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Just curious if you have had a chance to read the Baby Bargains chapters on these subjects. I know it can be very overwhelming and daunting. Believe me, I and everyone else here knows.

How are you going to use your stroller? Walks in the urban jungle or leisurely strolls in the park? Do a search for stroller here and you will find threads galore!

Momof3Labs
02-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Well, I'd recommend reading the Baby Bargains book - there is lots of information on what to look for. The book is a little outdated; you can read the boards here to get up to date.

There is no one best stroller - it is different for everyone. It depends on how you will use the stroller, where you walk, what kind of car you have (teeny tiny trunk or huge SUV), what kind of climate you live in, how much you can spend, even how tall you and DH are. If you can read a week or two worth of posts, you'll start to understand what might matter to you. Then we can offer you some suggestions!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

heidi_timms
02-07-2003, 12:26 AM
Yes, I would read Baby Bargains and then head out to your local baby stores to test drive. After reading the messages posted throughout the "stroller" section, I've gathered that most mothers like the lightweight strollers, especially if you run errands a lot and need to take the stroller in and out of the car. We got both a lightweight stroller and a jogger/sporty type for outdoor use.

Now that the 2003 model of strollers are coming out, you can find some great deals on the 2002 models at both baby stores and on the internet. For instance, babyage.com has the Combi 2002 Ultra Savvy stroller on sale for $149, plus $3.95 shipping, which is normally $269-289! I got the Combi because the deals were too good to pass up! I also saw a MacClaren on sale there too! I would also check out www.strollers4less.com for some good deals and ebay!

Good Luck,

Heidi

marisela
02-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Thank you so much. I was a little overwhelmed while reading some of the boards. I will check out the website you suggested. I know we are going to need two, one for everyday regular use and the other for outside walk/run. Thank you.

Marisela

hardysmom
02-10-2003, 02:03 AM
The best advice I wish I had found before I had my DS was to start out with a Universal Carrier or Snap-n-Go. The frames buy just enough time to really figure out your priorities.

My most favorite stroller is a Tuetonia Y2K (like a jogger) which I never would have purchased while pregnant, nor could I have afforded if I purchased something before the baby came. My stroller I like, but don't love, is my Peg Milano which was a shower gift from my MIL. The features are great for a newborn, but I probably would have shopped for a smaller model (still with a reversible handle!) if I had waited. Now I am kinda stuck with it since she would be really offended if I sold it or didn't use frequently.

Different people like different things in strollers, which is one of the things that makes the shopping experience so overwhelming. Valid advice comes from all directions. Personally, I don't like super light strollers, so go figure. A reversible handle and full recline was a huge deal to me for the first year. Now at 15 months, I am thinking more about manuverability and stability.

Stephanie

KathyO
02-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Ditto on the idea of getting a Snap'n'Go or similar setup to start with while you figure out what you really want/need in a stroller. And if at all possible, test-drive before buying! By all means, check out other people's opinions, but there are some features that are love 'em or hate 'em, and it's all down to personal preference. Some folks love the two-handle style of strollers, some hate them. Some like, or just don't mind, fixed-wheel (i.e. the wheels don't swivel) strollers, some hate them. And so on.

I fell in love with the Zooper Buddy, but after ten minutes of pushing it around the store, decided it was totally wrong for me. I ended up with a Mountain Buggy Urban and adore it. But that's just me.

Here's the start of a list of potential stroller features. You just have to figure out which are important to you and which aren't... and how many strollers you'll want which embody one set of features or another!!

Light weight
Large basket
Umbrella-style fold
One-handed fold
Large wheels
Swivel wheels
Fixed wheels
Pneumatic (i.e. air-filled) wheels
Snack tray
Parent organizer on top
Parent cup holder
One-handed pushing
Full recline
Rugged build
Five-point harness
Physical appearance (fabric, styling, etc.)
Price (*sigh*)
Toddler stand-on step at back
Reversible seat (baby can look out front or at you)
Compatibility with buggy board or similar item for toddler
Car seat compatibility (not so important if you're starting with a Snap'nGo)
Boot
Shock absorbers
Suitability for jogging
Compactness
Maneuverability
Large sun hood

... and that's just the start! I'm sure others can add more!

I hope all that hasn't just stirred up the mix more. You have lots of time to work this out!

Cheers,

KathyO

juliasdad
02-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Double-ditto on that point. No matter how much research I did (and I did tons), it really didn't matter in the end. Because as much as we thought we could guess how things were going to be once DD arrived, we really couldn't. The best advice that I could give on strollers would be to do some research, but use an infant carrier and one of the two popular "stroller frames" (Baby Trend Snap-n-Go, Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier) and hold off on buying anything else until you've had the baby for a month or two.

We went with a SnugRide carrier and chose the Kolcraft UCSC over the Snap-n-Go for a few reasons, and we consider these two items to be the best purchases we've made thus far for the baby. You probably can't go wrong, whether you get the Kolcraft or the Snap-n-Go... but get one of 'em!!!

-dan