PDA

View Full Version : Combi Urban Sling, LE Messenger Bag, or other messenger bags?

pshontz
02-08-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm looking for a fairly large, yet halfway stylish and not-terribly-heavy diaper bag for everyday use. I think I want a messenger bag but I'm not sure. I use my diaper bag as my purse. I have 3 diaper bags now but am not very happy with any of them. My daughter is almost 5 months old and I keep discovering I need to carry MORE stuff with me. My favorite purses are usually totes (with 2 shoulder straps) so I suppose that a tote style is also fine. But I am currently carrying a microfiber tote diaper bag and the straps seem short, so that the bulk of the diaper bag hits right under my arm and the straps fall off my shoulders and I have trouble getting my keys out quickly.

So currently I am considering the Combi Urban Sling Messenger Diaper Bag or the LE Messenger Diaper Bag, or something like that in that price range (less than $50). I have read the threads about these bags and I have found the messages very helpful! I am leaning toward the Combi as it is larger -- because the LE is very similar in size to the bag I am carrying now. I imagine once my baby starts solid foods I will be carrying even more stuff!

But is the Combi just huge and heavy? I am 5'5" and have seen some people's messages complaining that the Combi straps don't adjust. But you carry it across your body, right? It looks stylish and seems to have a lot of compartments. I am a little afraid the LE will be too small, and I'm not sure what I think of that nylon fabric. I'd like my bag to look kind of purse-like though it doesn't have to be "dressy."

I definitely want easy access to my keys, wallet and phone. I carry 1-2 wide-mouth Dr Browns bottles, 2-4 diapers, thin blanket, changing pad, toys, wipes, ziploc baggies, burp cloth, sometimes a cap and change of clothes. Right now I usually take short trips (usually less than 3 hours) since my baby can't go long between naps/feedings anyway.

So I guess I am just asking if anyone has any comparisons of the Combi US vs. the LE Messenger Bag, or any suggestions for other messenger bags that cost less than $50. I have an Eddie Bauer backpack from BUR and I don't think it's for me -- I thought I would like it, but everything gets mixed up in the large inner pocket and I don't really like having something sticking out from my back where I can't easily get to it -- I like shoulder bags/access better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Priscilla
Laura 09/14/02

Calmegja
02-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey- I answered you on the thread below...about what I use as a purse/diaper bag combo....;-)

Just wanted to make sure you saw it....

I will add that I tried the Urban sling, and I liked the design of it, but it wasn't purse-y enough for me, and it bulged when packed....

I know some people really like it, but I'm a purse style girl, and this didn't do it for me...

egoldber
02-08-2003, 03:25 PM
I really don't think that the Urban Sling is big enough for all you want to carry. I like mine, but I have to make myself be RUTHLESS with what I carry or else it is really bulky. And the strap does adjust on the US.

Another choice might be the Combi Traditional bag. This is a kind of hybrid between a tote, a messenger bag and a "traditional" bag. It can be worn messenger style. I love all the compartments on this bag. This is the bag I use when traveling or when I need to be out for a really long time. It is probably similar in size to the LE Do It All, but I like the way it is organized better.

HTH,

whoppi
02-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Have a look at the Safeline Kids diaper bags on ebags.com
I have the safeline tote in black and I think it does everything you need it to do. It has a zip off purse which is great for when you go out with the kids. The two outside pockets are great for slipping in bottles. It also has a couple of outside pockets which are great for slipping in receipts/apers etc when shopping. The bag is stylish enough that you can take it out for work or other more formal events.

pshontz
02-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Thank you! I love the look of the Kenneth Cole Hacky Sack on the Right Start website, but unfortunately the closest Right Start store closed on Feb 1. And the website price is about $84. Very classy looking diaper bag though! Priscilla

pshontz
02-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks, everybody, I finally decided to order the Combi US as I couldn't find it in local stores to check it out. I hope I like it. :-) Thanks for your suggestions! Priscilla

natividad
02-10-2003, 06:47 PM
I know I don't have experience with diaper bags since my baby isn't even here yet, but I really think the Combi Traditional would have been a better choice for you. I received the US as a shower present recently and I was just comparing its size with what you usually carry--honestly, I am not sure this bag will be able to fit all your items. Definitely test it out. I also have the Combi Traditional in Navy Dot that I purchased on my own from my local Buy Buy Baby. I have a feeling this is the bag I will end up using most of the time.

Naty (March 03)

Nina31
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm just curious, but what are the dimensions of the US? Different websites have different measurements. One site has it listed at 16x12x5, another has it at 20x13x12! Also, can you use it on either shoulder? I've never seen it IRL, but I always thought it looked really cool on the websites.

Thanks!
Nina

egoldber
02-10-2003, 09:26 PM
I would say that 16x12x5 sounds about right. And you can wear it on wither shoulder. I love the bag, but I would say it only holds a little more than my Lands End Little Tripper. Which is all I typically need most of the time.

HTH,

Melanie
02-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Has anyone here tried a timbuk2 messenger bag for dipes?

Mommy to Jonah

pshontz
02-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Well, I ordered it from barebabies.com and it lists these measurements:

Length: 20 Inches
Width: 13 Inches
Depth: 12 Inches

Which is a lot bigger than the bag I am currently carrying. So, I'll see what I think when I see it. I was kind of using this message about "organizing a combi urban sling" as a guideline for what I can get into the US:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1952&forum=DCForumID7&archive=

I think I was misleading about how much stuff I want to carry (in my first post) ... right now I can fit all that stuff (except the blanket for the floor at playgroup) into the small Eddie Bauer tote or the Catina microfiber tote I have. It's just packed really tight. I may find that I have the same problem with the US but I can always return it. I just want to see it in real life to figure it out! And I visited a bunch of baby stores here last weekend and didn't see anything I liked better. I saw a messenger bag at Target that I liked the overall look of (the messenger style), but it didn't have the features I liked (ie, no outside side pockets).

BTW, I ordered today and barebabies.com has already shipped it (within about 2 hours of my order) -- fast service!

Priscilla

pshontz
02-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Not that anyone really cares :-), but in case someone is interested in the Combi Urban Sling bag ... I just got mine a couple days ago (quite quick shipping from barebabies.com) and I like it. I love the compartments; they make it easy to find things quickly. It's not really dressy or "purse-like," but I usually wear jeans & sneakers anyway so it should be fine for everyday use. (I like the look of that Kenneth Cole Hacky Sak tote but our local Right Start stores closed before I could get one on sale.) It feels a lot like carrying a briefcase. The strap is thick and adjustable and the shoulder part is padded so that part of the bag looks luggage-like. You can wear it across your body or on one shoulder.

Sarah's message about how she organized her bag really helped me -- I didn't have to dither about what goes where quite so long, though I organized mine just a bit differently.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1952&forum=DCForumID7&archive=

The websites (barebabies.com and combistrollers.com, etc) said the dimensions were pretty large and I haven't found that to be true. I measured this bag when I got it and I would say it's about 17x12x5.

Here's what I got into my CUS:

Back pocket: changing pad (comes with CUS)

Front zipper pocket in flap: 1 burp cloth

Cell phone holder & key ring: cell phone, car key

1 zipper pockets under flap: wallet in one, house keys etc in the other (so that the keys wouldn't swing around and jangle hanging from the outside key ring), 2 pens in pen holders

Bottle pocket: holds an 8-oz wide mouth Dr Browns (or Avent) bottle. So nice that it's insulated and separate from the rest of the bag in case the bottle leaks!

2 unzippered pockets inside large interior area: 3 diapers (size 2 but bigger ones will fit) in one pocket, travel wipes & 2 gallon-sized ziploc bags in the other

small zippered compartment inside main compartment: travel sized diaper rash cream, comb, notepad

large interior compartment: 2-3 small toys, receiving blanket (to use for putting on the floor at playgroups, covering baby up, burps, whatever)

I don't go out for long trips and I've never had to change baby's clothes while I'm out, so I don't usually carry a change of clothing. I just put a bag in my trunk with a change of clothes & a few extra diapers.

So thank you all for the input about the CUS, especially Sarah. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another bag down the road :-) but this one seems quite nice for everyday use. I especially like all the compartments. The only drawback so far is that you have to lift the flap to get to your wallet, but it's fairly easy to get to. The key ring & cell phone holder are very easy to access if you wear this on your right hip (then they are in front by your right hand).

Priscilla, mom to Laura 09/14/02

nohomama
02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Pricilla,

I'm glad I could be of help even though I never responded to your post. Enjoy your US.