PDA

View Full Version : Pouch/Sling users, I need your input

natividad
02-10-2003, 12:31 PM
I am about to order either a pouch or a sling, but I am still a bit confused as to what is the difference between these two carriers. The slings have the adjustment buckle, right? I also noticed the other day a woman at the supermarket who was using a sling and she had most of it dragging on the floor, yikes! She was trying to adjust it, but it seemed like a lot of the fabric was just "hanging" all over the place. DH hated the look and thought we should just get a Bjorn. I don't want a Bjorn because of its limited use and I would prefer to carry the baby in a cradle position for the first few months. I think I am leaning towards the pouch, but I would like to make an educated decision--what do you all think. I am 5'6", by the way. I also would like something in a neutral color (I am thinking navy) since I don't like the more "exotic" fabrics out there. TIA!

Naty (March 03)

Calmegja
02-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Hello...

I am a carrier collector (not on purpose, it just sort of happened), and I by far prefer a fleece pouch above all else...

I have a Baby Bjorn, a Trekker, 2 fleece pouches, a Maya Wrap, a Hug-a-Bub, an Ergo Carrier on the way, and several others rotated out of use...

The fleece pouch, especially an adjustable one, is easier to use than a Maya (in my opinion), the adjustments are snug, and are comfier to wear for longer periods of time. I can use it with a tiny baby, as well as my three year old, and I like how secure the stretch in the fabric feels. I like a Maya, but I have trouble dealing with the tail (that's what you saw on the floor, but most don't do that- she must have had one that was too big for her), and I don't think it's as comfy as fleece. I have a black fleece, and a sage one....

My latest little guy preferred the Bjorn for the first 5 months. Some babies just aren't born loving the sling, But we switched from the Bjorn to the fleece, and it's been terrific.

Hope that helps....

mj1127
02-10-2003, 02:16 PM
I agree about the fleece pouch. I have a Kangaroo Korner adjustable one, and I can still carry my 4yo in it. It's comfortable for me, comfortable for him, and a reasonable price. The long tail problem with ring slings concerned me also, as I am very short. The fleece pouch fits great, is adjustable to compensate the child's growth and the season - I wear it on a looser setting when we have coats on in the winter, and tighter for indoors or when it's warm outside. I really wish we had had it when my son was younger. We did have a front carrier when he was a newborn - the Infantino 6 in 1 - but it got limited use, as the padding on it was hot, and he was born at the beginning of a very hot summer, and was a warm baby to begin with. By the time it cooled off, he was getting heavy to carry in it. If I were to do it again with a front carrier, it would probably be the Baby Trekker, as it is designed to be comfortable with bigger kids, though I might just skip the front carrier and start out with the fleece pouch.

Marlo

egoldber
02-10-2003, 05:04 PM
I don't have a fleece pouch, but I use a pouch that I made (it is similar to the Maya pouch). I really like it. I think it is very simple and easy to use. It does need to fit you just right, so the adjustable fleece pouch makes sense it you can't adjust a fabric one yourself. I like my fabric pouch because it folds down to nothing in the diaper bag and I can carry it anywhere.

HTH,

natividad
02-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will be ordering the pouch.

Naty (March 03)

sbirmantaz
02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Jessica, I noticed you said you have a black fleece pouch, can you tell me where you purcheased it? I am looking for black, but haven't been successful. Thanks!

Calmegja
02-11-2003, 12:38 PM
I got it from Kangaroo Korner...I noticed she doesn't have that color up right now, but she rotates colors in and out...you could email Tanya, and see if she's got more black fleece coming soon....

She also does customs, so if she's not planning on black fleece soon, I bet she could figure out how to get some...she is a breeze to work with....

Hope that helps...