PDA

View Full Version : paging queenmama77!

nicknack
02-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey there! I saw that you ordered a 2003 Pixxel from Germany recently...how did you go about doing that? How much did shipping end up to be? I've just become really interested in these strollers, so I'm checking out the options...
Thanks!
Nicole

hardysmom
02-10-2003, 05:31 PM
I believe Lara is on hiatus enjoying her PiXXel and hasn't posted for a while. Hopefully she will be back soon, but I might be able to help in the meantime.

I believe she ordered it directly from a German store called Schmuck at http://www.kinderwagen.de/index1.html

On the index page go to "shop" then "kinderwagon" and a list of lots of neat strollers, including Teutonia will come up. The PiXXel is on that list. I think it runs about 450 Euros.

I believe the shipping was about $250, so the process was expensive. It also seemed like it took FOREVER for her to get it, but I am not sure if that was because she pre-ordered an '03 or if the delay was typical. I have had things shipped from Germany and it usually doesn't take more that a week or two even for heavier furrniture and stuff..

Lara is extremely resourceful and determined. I am not sure how she communicated, but I got the impression that they spoke English.

I hope your post will catch her attention, but if not, I hope this helps. Stephanie

nicknack
02-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks Stephanie, I appreciate it! Do only the recent models have reversible handles so the baby can face you?
Nicole

hardysmom
02-10-2003, 09:45 PM
New ones have a reversiible seat, not handle. Big difference. A handle (like on a Peg or Aprica) you can switch back and forth mid-stroll. A reversible seat you actually have to remove from the chassis and put back on. I am not sure which '03 Teutonias reverse. My '02 Y2K does so I think some other older models may as well... you might call Heritage Baby and ask.

Teutonias are fantastic, but built for comfort, not convenience. Keep that in mind if you order sight unseen.

What other strollers do you have and how are you thinking of using one?

They are beauties, that is for sure. Stephanie

nicknack
02-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Stephanie--
When you say built for comfort, not convenience, do you just mean that they are heavier and bigger than most? I am hopefully buying one (waiting on DH) but it will be sight unseen. I realize it's a bigger stroller, I was thinking of getting one like that anyway so that I could use it for brisk walks around the neighborhood but also for in the mall and in downtown shops, etc...
I actually don't have any strollers now, we're not even pregnant yet! I know, I'm a total freak! But I have just heard so many good things about them and it seems like it would be a good fit for us...you think? Then I thought I could just register for a more lightweight stroller for quick trips later on...
Thoughts?

hardysmom
02-10-2003, 11:56 PM
If you are not preg, I would probably wait a while to get one. They will continue to come up on SWAP more frequently as current owners' kids grow. Plus, German Ebay isn't going anywhere. In the future, Britax will probably distribute more models (and they WILL be sold in more stores) in response to the US market's demands. When you get preg and REALLY start looking you never know what the next-new-thing will be-- just ask all of the Bugaboo Frog owners!! They have only been available since December. Gosh, even Mountain Buggy has only been in the US about 1 year and I am sure you have picked up the buzz on them around this Board. Even Teutonia will improve over time--more models are getting reversible seats and new features every year!

I was pretty disappointed when I first bought my Y2K. It isn't just that they are heavy, they are pretty awkward to haul around. Love it now, but I bought my Emma Husky after I realized it would be a pain to haul the Y2K down to my Mom's every weekend. I don't know what to say (an unusual turn...)

OK-- now here is my disclaimer... First (and I apologize for this) I am superstitious and just feel a bit uncomfortable about getting all rigged up before the baby is on the way. We are having a hard time TTC #2, so that may color my perspective, but beyond the pragmatic issues, it just seems like bad mojo. I truly hope that doesn't rub you the wrong way. I also FIRMLY believe everyone is different and that is a very good thing...

Second-- I am trying to buy Janet (Strollerqueen's) Swing. I am waiting (impatiently) in line behind someone who "has to hear from her husband" and that, I suppose, may be you! Obviously, I wouldn't be getting one if I didn't think they are wonderful. They are just a lot more stroller than most people expect. I'm not sure that I would use a Swing for brisk neighborhood walks, but that is me. I prefer a jogger. I don't want to talk you out of it, then have you say "Hey! Wait a minute!?! She bought MY stroller!!"

I don't know if this helps at all... Sorry. Stephanie

hardysmom
02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Nicole, I just re-read what I wrote and it just didn't sound right. Your enthusiasm (and good taste) are so nice to have around.

A few months ago (actually, when I bought my Y2K) I was shopping for a good double and I wasn't pregnant either. I would have bought a Mountain Buggy Urban Double in a heartbeat if one had been on SWAP at the time. Strollers are just so fun!! I guess it is like guys and cars, you know?

I hope I didn't discourage you. I am just a bit grumpy this evening.

Keep Strollin'
Stephnaie :) :) :)

TrinaCliff
02-11-2003, 01:53 AM
Stephanie,
I'm pretty sure that Nicole is thinking of buying a PiXXel (correct me if I'm wrong, Nicole)...so don't worry. :) It didn't sound bad...just honest, and we need more of that, *honestly*...LOL!

Take care
Kristen

TrinaCliff
02-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Nicole,
I think by saying "comfort, not convenience" Stephanie *does* mean heavier and bigger...the way I took it, Teutonia's are generally pretty large, plush, well-built, sturdy strollers...they are not really easy to transport and they are heavier than most. For example, they don't have handles on the side to pick them up and toss them into the car. Am I right, Stephanie? Is that pretty much what you meant?

Now, Teutonia does have the Toni coming out soon...it's only 18 lbs. and folds very small (kind of umbrella-ish)...I'm waiting to hear just how plush and luxurious it is, because, honestly it doesn't look that plush in the pictures. Also, the wheels are not pneumatic and very tiny...I'm waiting for someone to buy/try one and tell us how it is. :)

Kristen

newbelly2002
02-11-2003, 04:21 AM
I pushed one (Toni) around last week and must say that it--like all Teutonias--steers like a dream. It was a lot more plush than I would have thought, although I didn't put DH in. At first glance it's a beautiful piece of equipment.

One caveat: I didn't try foldling it up so I have no idea how easy/dificult/convenient it is. I was just looking around at what buggys are currently available.

It's a shame it's not lighter (It was a heavy 18 pounds), I've started seeing some being sold second-hand already on ebay and in the newspaper.

Paula

strollerqueen
02-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Ugh. Sorry Stephanie, if I am making you grumpy. I feel like my hands are tied, and I feel horrible about it. No, it's not Nicole that's waiting on DH. And yes, she is looking at the PiXXel also.:-( x( :'(

nicknack
02-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Woah, looks like I started an interesting thread! LOL!
No hard feelings here at all, I myself have grappled with the issue of buying things before I'm pregnant, etc...I don't see it as messing up my chances, I just laugh at how hasty I might be being. But I figured I would grab this deal while I can, and as I said to Kristen last night in an email, if I end up getting it and having it not suit my needs, I can always put it back up on the SWAP or on Ebay. I'm happy to help Jess out with taking it off her hands for now though!

I realize it's a more bulky, heavy stroller, but those were the kinds that we were looking at anyway. And I did have some second thoughts last night when thinking about how long it could take to get pregnant, at which point new models might be out, etc...For us, though, we really couldn't spend a ton on a stroller (although you all know I would LOVE to, just can't swing the $600 Bugaboo as much as I would like to), so this seemed like a really good deal. The Toni seemed interesting, but the wheels looked too small for what my needs are.

So, I have said yes and will be receiving my Pixxel shortly! I thank you all so much for your words and advice, I didn't find them harsh at all. I think the diversity of opinions is what makes all of these boards so helpful and interesting and I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon! Because hey, I might need to be researching a lightweight next...I'll be sure to report when I get it and I'll probably have some questions when it actually comes time to using it!

nicole

hardysmom
02-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Oh man...

Nicole-- thanks for being so sweet. I don't think buying a stroller makes it harder to get preg-- it just has the potential to cause pressure, if you know what I mean... A 2nd hand Teutonia, purchased (in English!) from someone who has taken fantastic care of it IS a great deal.

It wasn't the stroller I was grumpy about. DH and DS have both been sick since Friday, I was supposed to babysit for a friend, AND my mother is coming to town today!! Plus, I had a Dr's appointment... blah, blah, blah... just everyday in-real-life stuff.

Janet-- I am fine waiting. It isn't like I don't have another stroller to use, lol! I just like Janet's pattern and the knowledge that I can trust her on the condition. I know HB won't hold their Swing forever.

You know, one thing I really ike about these Boards is how supportive and positive people tend to be. When people don't agree it isn't a "debate" just another opinion. I have always appreciated that and just didn't want to upset the apple cart!

Again-- Thanks guys for just being so nice. I feel better today.

Stephanie

nicknack
02-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Stephanie--
I hear you, we ALL have those days, huh?! Totally don't worry about it.
I agree about the English part, I started to look into German Ebay and became VERY confused and intimdated!I hope that the Swing works out for you soon!

yahud
02-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi,

For browsing on a German site try filtering it through the free "babel fish" web translator:
http://world.altavista.com/

It won't handle technical stroller terms but it will give you a rough idea of what folks are talking about.

Y

queenmama77
02-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi Nicole!

Well, I'm glad you didn't need my advice after all! You're gonna love the PiXXel!

The reasons I went ahead and ordered the 2003 are purely superficial. I don't have an infant so I didn't really need the reversible seat, but I wanted to have that option for the future. I also bought the matching soft carrycot because I didn't even think about Britax carrying them, since they were a few months away from releasing the Teutonias. It's probably a good thing that I did because Britax and HB are charging quite a bit more than Schmuck ($155 & $259 vs. $90!!!), and I'm sure the carrycot didn't add that much to the shipping cost. (Actually, I looked at Britax and HB, and you'd be paying more for a 2003 w/carrycot than I paid to order mine from Germany including shipping! And I got a stroller that isn't available here anymore!) And I wanted the blue/green plaid (#1765) because I thought it was so pretty!

BTW, I like the reversible seat (well, just tried it out once, and it really was only 2 clicks!) but I'd rather have a pram or just a more prammy-style all-terrain with a reversible handle. With the swivel wheels, that's not really an option, and it's difficult to get to the basket underneath with the seat reversed.

Well, I went on far more than I intended to, but hopefully this will help someone who might be considering ordering a stroller from overseas. Sometimes it's worth it! LOL

Enjoy your PiXXel!

Nooknookmom
02-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Queenmama77-

Have you done a review on your 2003 Pixxel yet?

If not - could you? I am interested in how the features work:

Canopy=full or partial
Recline mechanism
Steering on uneven surfaces=sidewalk cracks or over garden hoses (my Aprica would NOT go over a hose, LOL)
Bumber bar=removeable or adjustable (sp?)

Anything you think would tell us dreamers how good/bad this buggy is.

Oh, IYHO, would you have a pram, i.e. Silver Cross/Emma and a Pixxel or are they too close in style?

Thanks - Trina, still TTC #2...

hardysmom
02-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Lara, I am SOOO happy you are back!! Hope you had a great time away with the PiXXel!

Stephanie