PDA

View Full Version : Graco Metro Lite vs. PP Pliko

ElissaE
02-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything ood or bad about the Graco Metro Lite? I went to Great Beginnings this weekend all set to go with the Pliko because everone told me how great they were (both my SIL & cousin RAVED about them), lasts through 2 kids, etc.

However, the great salesperson that was helping me said the Metro lite was actually a very good stroller (good, sturdy, one handle vs. 2, has bar for carseat). He pointed out that the Pegs no longer have the attachment bar capability, and that since they use 2 handles vs. one handle, steering could be an issue (esp. with carrying bags, etc.). He is the first person I had ever heard say anything remotely positive about an American brand stoller.

In any event, I am now more confused than ever. I plan on getting the Graco snug ride car seat and using the universal carrier, so I'm not sure how much I'd actually use the attachment bar anyway (plus, I'm barely 5ft. tall, and can't imagine pushing around any more weight than is necessary. Plus, my cousins are going to get me whatever stroller I choose, so the price difference isn't too much of an issue. Since this will be a spring baby,I feel I should tackle this issue sooner rather than later. I live in the DC burbs, so the stroller would be used for walks around the neighborhood, the park, etc.

If anyone can give me some good advice about either stroller, I would be most appreciative (as would my DH, as his head is spinning with all of the stuff we still need to buy, and we're only 2 months away)!

Thanks,

Elissa (due 4/9/03)
Elissa (due 4/9/03)

pamela mom of 3
02-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Well my metrolite broke in only a few months and as a stroller collector this was far from my only stroller. I dunno it was ok but again graco's are just not known for their long term durability. Perego is certainly a better made brand. I have a pliko and while they are not a one hand steering model like maclarens are, it certainly is well made and sturdy. Did you know a pliko holds 99lbs? it can carry an extra child on the back step, we use this feature for our 4yo when we don't want to haul our double.

Their are a few other "pliko like" styles you can look at, the inglesina zippy and the zooper z-street plus the chicco 2002 line. All of these will offer better durability and quality than a graco product. Now so i don't totally sound like i am knocking graco's..they do have a purpose..they will get baby from point A to B but one must realize their limitations, so if your ok with the "issues" that they have one can certainly work for you too.

HTH
:)

zuzu
02-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I can't offer any specific stroller advice since we still haven't picked up ours yet (waiting for another 20% off coupon from GB), but as for Great Beginnings, I've been in there several times and have gotten vastly different advice from each person working in the stroller area. Some recommend Combis, others there have said they are flimsy. Others recommended different Peg models for every reason under the sun. One man said the Gracos were fine if you didn't want to spend a lot up-front, but that many people end up getting frustrated with them and get another brand afterwards anyway. You may want to head back there a few more times and speak with different people, just to get other opinions. Last time I was there they did have the car seat adpater bar for the Pliko. And, get as much advice as you can from other parents on this board. They are all so knowledgeable and helpful.
Good luck!

momathome
02-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Also keep in mind, if you go for a Pliko and a Graco Snugride, the snugride fits quite nicely in the pliko without the bar. I've used this combination and it is actually quite secure. If you have any other questions about the pliko, feel free to post - I love this stroller and have been using it for two years. Good luck!
-Lauren