PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Bjorn vs. Theodore Bean?

Kate123
02-11-2003, 02:38 AM
My DS (6 months) weighs 18 lbs and it seems I can barely fit him in the Bjorn (width wise). I had tried the Bean a month or two ago (before he starting getting snug in the Bjorn) mainly b/c he was getting heavy in the Bjorn and I had heard the Bean was easier on the back with bigger babies. I wound up sending back the Bean because A) I didn't notice much difference in the feel/weight distribution and B) the Bjorn seemed easier to use....could never get the hang of the Bean....those clips were HORRIBLE to get on and off and took forever (vs. the easy snap clamps on the Bjorn). Was I doing something wrong? Should I give it another try or look into the Hip Hammock. It would seem if the Bjorn could handle babies up to 35 lbs and mine is only 18 lbs that it should be able to accomodate a wider baby?

THanks for any input!
K.

bathbody
04-05-2003, 01:18 AM
bumping this up, becuase I'd like to hear more about the bean.

JenaW
04-05-2003, 09:06 AM
I just won a bean off of ebay (If anyone is looking, there are a few sellers who have many of the leather and nylon styles for WAY under retail price. I got mine - the black leather - for $25 plus s/h). I haven't gotten it yet, and baby isn't due until May 8th, but I will gladly share any input once I have it. My cousin has one and she has nothing but good things to say about it. She did admit that it was difficult to learn how to use, but once she figured it out, she loved it.

~Jera

jojo2324
04-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Confessions of a baby-carrier junkie...

I have four carriers: the Baby Bjorn, Hip Hammock, Theodore Bean, and the Baby Trekker.

My absolute favorite was the Bjorn. It was so easy to use (once I figured it out and had more confidence holding a newborn), and DS loved it too. We turned him around at 6 weeks, and he was happy as a clam to see the world. But, alas, he is a chunky monkey and by about 3 months I couldn't use it anymore. I am trying to remember...I think he was about 18 lbs at 3 months. It was too much of a strain on my back and shoulders. Plus, it felt like the Bjorn was too tight for him. I like the slide closure on the BB for ease of use, but I think it greatly reduces the longevity of the item. I don't see how any child could use this up to 33 lbs, not comfortably.

So next up was the HH. This did not work for me at all. Admittedly I have shoulder problems, especially on my left side, and you have to indicate whether you are right- or left-handed when you order the HH. The strap crosses the opposing side. (I am right-handed.) Anyhoo, this KILLED my neck and back and shoulders. I fiddled with the strap for a while, but I could never get it to fit comfortably against my body. I felt very pinched, a la Montgomery Burns on the Simpsons.

Then came the BT. This thing looks like an octupus. I have used it mainly to wear him facing out on my back while I did laundry or dishes. This one hurt my back too, but only in that position. The BT is great in that you can carry the baby four ways. It's not the most fashionable looking item, and I admit I have not used it much, but it would definitely accomodate a larger baby, and you have versatility with it.

But since it was not the most fashion forward carrier, I got meself a TB. I liked that it was the same shape as the Bjorn. A few things: First, I was not crazy about the clips. Especially in the winter when your fingers are freezing and numb. Second, I didn't like that there was no way to get a baby into the carrier other than lifting him above the opening and "dropping" him in. Not easy to do with a 18 lb. baby! Finally, it really was not comfortable for me to wear, and I wasn't crazy about the waist strap. (FYI...I think that the TB and the Maclaren baby carrier are the same.)

Okay, so there's my novel about carriers. I guess what really hindered it all was my baby's weight and what my back, neck and shoulders were able to withstand. My fave was the BB, hands down, even with its limited use. Next up is most likely a backpack carrier. HTH! :D

Kate123
04-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Like the poster below, the Bjorn is by far my favorite, but it's too narrow for my baby (who's big!) and the weight limit is rather low.

SO I ordered a TB and a Maclaren to try, both of which have higher weight limits and accomodate a wider child. I am keeping the Maclaren and returned the Bean. The Bean had these clips that were just impossible to get undone w/o breaking your fingers. I tried it twice to be sure. There is no way I can "hoist" my kid into the thing and unbuckling the clips is the only way around that. THe Maclaren, while not quite as easy as the Bjorn is very similar and much easier than the TB in my opinion. I put it on the same way as the Bjorn...hold the baby in place then buckle him in. The buckles are the squeeze type and much easier to get in and out. I found the TB and the Maclaren about equal as far as comfort.

So that's my review!

Kathy