PDA

View Full Version : Tandem vs. Side by Side

Ang6
02-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi!

What is the consensus out there for favorite type of double stroller, side by side or tandem? (When the baby is born in August, they will be 18 months apart). I'm thinking I want the MBDU, but am trying not to rule out tandem types. I'm SO confused!!

Thanks so much!!
:)

Tondi G
02-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Most people prefer SBS over tandem especially as the kids get older! Some people get a tandem in the beginning so it will accomodate an infant seat then as #2 gets older and heavier they sell and get a SBS! As the kids get heavier the tandems get hard to steer and push! If you want to get a tandem for the beginnning look at teh graco Duo rider or the Baby Trend (check the Right Start for this one).... the nice thing about the baby trend is that both seats recline so if your older one still naps in the stroller it won't be a problem (our friends ran into this with thier tandem and their older on was alwauys falling asleep and was sitting up with her head over to the side.... looked way too uncomfortable!!!!

Other than the MB you can look at the Peg Aria Twin, Combi Twin Savvy, Inglesina Twin Jet, Graco Duo-lite (this on is only on ebay!), Mac Opus Duo or Twin traveller!

Good Luck!

~Tondi

pamela mom of 3
02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Tandems can work pretty good while the youngest is a newborn till almost one, after that, troubles usually start, like lack of view for back passenger, harder steering because the older child is also heavier.

I did use a tender by perego for all three of my kids, but ran into the above troubles as they got older, i still needed a double but the tender had become a "battle ground" the children were fighting for both space and views.

I have owned many doubles over the years from, perego, maclaren, babytrend, graco etc. So far my latest model is the MBDU..i wish this model had been around before..it would have been a huge help to me, both seats recline without crushing the other child, both children have views plus for me i can push it and with my girls that is over 75lbs of children.

I do like the MB best of any double out there, although i still have a soft spot for the tender tandem and as for a more budget line the graco duoglider will do the job but's it's heavy and pretty bulky, the duette by perego is another double tandem option but does require the seats to be taken off for folding. As for other sbs choices, the ariatwin is nice and light and the maclaren doubles are also well featured, for more budget choices the graco duorider and duolite are good options too.

HTH
:)

Ang6
02-13-2003, 09:00 AM
Great! Tanks so much!!

Ang6
02-13-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks so much for all of your info!!

sophiesmom
02-13-2003, 01:25 PM
This is all helpful as i'm trying to decide which type to get. I really liked the Aria. For those who have it or other SBSs, how do they fit through doors and stores?