PDA

View Full Version : lightweight stroller for big baby

glewis
02-12-2003, 02:01 PM
My 14 month old is 30 lbs 33 inches and our current lightweight stroller, a Graco Citilite, is now a struggle to steer with the front wheels sticking on turns. Lubricating the wheels has made it just bearable. I bought this stroller for the 40 lb weight limit but am now realizing that not all strollers work well as babies get heavier, especially the lightweight strollers. I looked at the Combi Savvy DX or Ultra Savvy, but now hear they don't steer well with heavier kids either. Some possibilities:

Maclaren Volo/Triumph/Quest - not sure baby would like the seat angle
Peg Perego Aria
Inglesina Swift
Chicco Caddy - does this work past the 33 lb weight limit?

I cannot try out any of these locally. Does anyone have experience with any of these strollers and 30+ lb kids? Any other stroller recommendations? Features I'm looking for:

-weighs less than 13 lbs
-has at least a 40 lb weight limit
-steers well up to that limit - one handed even?
-I am 5' 10" so stroller height is important
-some recline
-easy to fold

This would be for errands/shopping so mostly smooth surface.

Thanks,

Gail

Tondi G
02-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Of all the strollers you mentioned the Aria is the only one without a sloped seat!!! I had a look at one this past weekend and the padding is really not that good ... I suppose you could fold up a blanket for them to sit on though... and the hood is basically useless... be sure to use sunscreen and bring a hat if it's going to be hot and sunny!

The volo has NO recline and no sun hood/shade.... the Daytripper or Quest would probably suit you better if you want a Mac!

The caddy is a nice little lightweight stroller but has the sloped seat as well ( a friend has it for her 19 month old and likes it a lot!... he's close to 30 lbs now and it is fine!).... also check out the new Chicco London (Babies R Us website has it!) it kind of reminds me of a cross between a quest and a Caddy.... has padded ergonomic handles and a more substantial hood than the caddy!

I believe the Swift has a lower 35 lb weight limit too!

Good Luck... hope you find something that works for you!
~Tondi and Mason