PDA

View Full Version : Need a compact-folding travel stroller

dd_ani
02-13-2003, 08:55 PM
I am looking for some help in finding a new stroller. We love our Combi Convenience, but it takes up a lot of room in the trunk of our car. I want the new stroller primarily for car trips, but would prefer to be able to use it for trips by plane as well.

Here are the features I am looking for:

1. Folds compactly -- the smaller the better.

2. Quality -- I want something that will last.

3. Basket -- A larger basket would be helpful.

4. Comfort -- I would like for DD (who is turning 1 year old next week!) to be able to sleep in it.

5. Canopy -- If we go on vacation this year, it will be SOUTH!

6. Steering -- I may have to fly solo later this year, so something that is steerable with one hand may be quite useful.

Thanks!

Michelle

egoldber
02-13-2003, 09:16 PM
What about something like a Peg Perego Pliko, Chicco 2002 or an Inglesina Zippy? These are all medium size strollers, with an umbrella type fold, and decent size baskets. They weigh in the 16-18 pound range, so while not superlight they are not really heavy either. The all steer decently, although some complain that the Pliko is not the greatest to steer one handed. But you could try it out for yourself and see what you think.

A more lightweight option would be the Peg Aria, but I don't "think" it folds umbrella style. Anything else I can think of that is much more lightweight have virtually non-existent baskets.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
02-13-2003, 09:49 PM
The Aria does not fold umbrella-style. Nor is the canopy functional. But I love it for in and out of the car - it is SO lightweight!

Some of the Maclarens may meet your needs, also, but most lack a napper bar and have a slanted seat - so baby has to sit leaning back a bit.

momathome
02-14-2003, 03:52 PM
I have both a Pliko and and a Maclaren Vogue and while I love both for different reasons, the Mac is the best travel stroller hands down. I had to fly solo with my 15 month-old last year and the Mac was fantastic. She slept beautifully in the stroller, it was easy to push while carrying my bags, and when we had to go through security, it was a snap to fold up and put through the scanners (talk about a pain in the neck!) It folds up very narrow, pushes like a dream, has a decent canopy and basket, and reclines enough for sleeping. Truthfully, I can't imagine taking my pliko or any other stroller of that size on a trip. Good luck!
-Lauren