PDA

View Full Version : Best travel system with infant seat with front adjuster?...

tobymc
02-16-2003, 12:36 AM
My step-sister is due in May with her first baby, and my folks are helping them get a travel system. They liked the Graco travel systems they saw in the store. I think they perhaps also saw the Baby Trend Latch Loc. Cris lives in Texas. I'm guessing she'll be doing basic mall crawling, around the neighborhood a bit. Nothing too strenuous. The stroller should fold to go into the car, and a small car at that. They are planning to buy a small Hyundi. Total price probably can't exceed $200, and $150 or less would be better.

I will, of course, only approve an infant seat with a front harness adjuster. I checked the Graco website, and that leaves me with the following travel system choices: The Chauffeur, the Aria, Quattro Tour, and the MetroLite.

In addition, the baby trend site lists three travel systems with the Latch Loc. Since they'll be getting a new car with LATCH, the LL would be a great choice for them. They like the handle. The new moving back 22 pound version of the LL won't be out until mid-May, so they'll have to accept the 20 pound version. I don't know if any of these are in the price range or are easy to find.

And finally, if I had it to do all over again with my first, I'd go with a stroller frame plus the infant seat, then sell the frame. Or perhaps I'd just go with the convertible and sling from birth, plus a nice stroller. And new insight on this age-old discussion?

Thanks all. When it comes to carseats, I know my stuff. When it comes to strollers, I know you guys do.

hipmaman
02-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi Toby,

In all honesty, I would vote against getting a stroller that comes with the infant carseat. They are in general heavy and bulky, not to mention that they don't have a long life-span nor the quality either.

But before I go on, when you mentioned the Aria, is that the Peg Perego Aria you referred to? Pegs nowaday don't accept any infant carseat but the Viaggio. Maybe, you meant the Air 6?

Anyway, I think perhaps get a stroller that not part of the Graco travel system but can take any carseat, with a better durability and quality and not as big, bulky or heavy.

Check...
1) Inglesina Zippy -- Italian, good quality, one-hand folding and possible to push with one hand too, umbrella style (so it folds down and inward making it easier to fit in the trunk), carseat adaptor bar included usable with infant carseat. It can be a bit pricey, but the resale value is much better not to mention the joy of using it is better when one doesn't have to deal with squeaky wheels or struggling to push, fit into the trunk, blah, blah, blah ;)

Here is one on ebay to show that it can be bought at around $200-225 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2307631388&category=2989. Here is one on StrollerSwap http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/message/1315. StrollerSwap is just a board that some members from PP Strollers Board set up to sell and trade their strollers, most are either tried very few times, still in box, etc.

2) Zooper Z-St or Sport. Both can take an infant carseat, comes with rainshield, boot, fully recline, etc. The Z-St has umbrella handles and smaller wheels. The Sport comes with the bar handle, but when folded it is folded down like an umbrella stroller (handle bar is folded in two halves) and the wheels are air and bigger than the Z-St. The values for these strollers are good because of the accessories included. There isn't one on ebay right now, but I am sure if you asked on the PP Stroller Board, there are people who can post deals for you.

This is just an example in their prices http://www1.dealtime.com/dt-app/GS/PartnerId-90/BEFID-0/Keyword-Zooper%20Stroller/IsPrd-0/LinkinId-2072933/

3) Combi Perfect Match Convenience 6630. Can take major brand carseat, great price right now, better quality than the Gracos. I don't know a whole lot on Combi strollers except the basic (it's not available in Canada, so I have never really played with the Conveience 6630). But others might be able to tell you more about it.

Check it out at babystyle http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=10702&SIND=1&cmCL=estyleoutlet&frm=2. There is a coupon for an extra 20% off the lowest price too Code USA20, expiring tomorrow Feb 17 though. You might need to act fast on this one.

4) There is the Maclaren Global, but I am sure it costs more though.

That's it for me for now. If I can think of anything else, I'll post again. Hope that helps you a bit.

Tondi G
02-16-2003, 08:34 PM
If they really want a travel system.... first check and see if there are any Value City stores in your area... they were selling the Peg Perego Pliko Travel system with the car seat for 99 bucks!!!!! It's worth checking it out!

If not....

I would recommend looking into The Pliko with adapter bar (check e-bay), the new models (2002 and up) don't accept the adapter bar and only use Pegs car seat!

If they want a true travel system my only recommendation would be the Graco Metrolite travel system..... it's the only stroller I've seen lots of people with that actually have been happy their travel system.... my neighbor actually got a Combi Convenience and hated it... sold it and bought a Metrolite!!! Buy it at Babies R Us and if you have any problems down the line they are great at taking things back and exchanging for a new one! Since it has the good Snugride you are set! It should also be within your price range!

Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01! (Pliko lovers!)

KathyO
02-17-2003, 05:25 PM
My brother and his fiancee gave us a Graco travel system when DD was born, and although we have subsequently graduated to a Mountain Buggy (I walk daily on trails and the poor Graco was just not going to manage), it did have a lot to recommend it. (Incidentally, I'm not sure exactly which stroller it is, but it's something like a Cirrus.)

I loved the huge basket, and I really liked the way the car seat's canopy and the stroller's canopy came together to form a sturdy weather-proof "pod" that was good for snow, wind and rain, plus good for being out with a sleeping baby. My friend borrowed it to hold her baby daughter while she went daily to pick up her son at school, and she loved this feature too. I liked the one-hand fold and unfold on the stroller, and didn't find it too heavy to lift and push.

If you think these features might be important to her, then go ahead and consider the Graco systems. They're not the fanciest or most robust strollers out there, but for what you describe, and the price range you describe, they'll do the job fine, and I have no complaints.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

KathyO

tobymc
02-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks, all.

I passed the advice along to my step-mother. I have no idea if they will act on it, but I've done my part. And once again, I got educated!

Thanks again.