PDA

View Full Version : Sloping seats- -please explain!

charigot
02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
I was reading the archive about the Maclaren Quest, Daytripper and Ingeslina Swift, and came upon a lot of comments about the seat slope. What is the issue with this? Don't they all recline? Could you please expound a little more on the subject? Thanks very much.

PS we are in the market for a lightweight convenience stroller that folds like an umbrella, but has some of the comforts of our heavier stroller (a Zooper Buddy), like a padded seat. My husband and I are tall tall tall so that's a consideration, too. Our son is 6 months old, 18 lbs, 29" tall.

Thanks so much.

egoldber
02-17-2003, 11:41 AM
When people talk about the sloping seat, they are referring to the NOT reclined position. If you look at any Maclaren stroller, when the seat is in its "full, upright" position, there is still a pretty significant angle to the seat. Compare this to the seat of a Combi, a Peg or a Chicco, which are all very upright when not reclined.

Some babies do NOT like this semi-reclined position. You just need to try it and see if it works for you.

HTH,

charigot
02-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks! Now I get it. I appreciate your response. We are going to try some today and see what he likes. Our Zooper has a hard back, so I guess that means it doesn't slope like these other lighter strollers.

hardysmom
02-17-2003, 01:40 PM
The slope is as much a part of the seat bottom as the back. Some Zoopers do have quite a bit of slope, but not as much as a Mac.

My 15mo. son likes to sit as far forward on the seat as possible and lean forward over a napper bar. When we stop, he rocks forward and back like he wants to make it go. In a stroller with a lot of slope, he couldn't lean forward at all.

BTW, most strollers with seat slope don't have napper bars.
Stephanie

charigot
02-17-2003, 03:23 PM
I see. Our Zooper does have a napper bar, but as my son is 6mo and it has been winter for much of his alert life, I hope he likes it when it turns spring again (we are using it for walks, hence why I need another stroller.)

I was so disappointed. Today we went to our local USA Baby to find a new stroller. Seems that I won't be able to try any Mac or Inglesina stroller out before if I buy one. Our local USA Baby only has Plikos and Gracos and Kolcrafts (and Zoopers, of course). :( We tried the Pliko and like it, but it's more than I want to spend (want to stay around $100.)

Tondi G
02-17-2003, 03:30 PM
maybe you should consider a Graco Metrolite! Many people have them and are pleased... fairly lightweight and convenient(cup holders, larger basket) ... I know Strollers4less has them for a good price and Babies R Us also carries them... they are really good about returns/exchanges if anything went wrong down the road!

If you are interrested in a Pliko for less check E-bay! Also check out the Aria! The Buddy has a flat seat no slope like a Mac.. the only Zoopers with the slope are the Z-street and the one with no napper bar (can't remember the name)!

Good Luck!
~Tondi

Oh I forgot to add... check out the Chicco Ponee on ebay as well!

strollerqueen
02-17-2003, 04:35 PM
The other Zooper w/ out the napper bar is called the EZ.

Momof3Labs
02-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Are you near a Value City? They had the Pliko travel system for $99 recently!

charigot
02-17-2003, 05:56 PM
No, unfortunately we only have USA Baby, Toys R US (with some BRU stuff), Target and Burlington Coat Factory. That is it. Grr. I have been looking at BRU online and saw the Chicco London...do you know anything about that one? Some people reviewing it said that the clamps that hold the canopy break a lot. I will have to make a trip to Toys R Us tomorrow to see what they have in stock.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Metrolite and others. I will have to check them all out. I did see Plikos on ebay, but they are usually for the whole travel system, including car seat, which I really don't need (DS is in the Britax Roundabout and likes it.)