PDA

View Full Version : So, how many diaper bags do you have?

Kate888
02-17-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm so happy to see Rachel's thread about strollers :) Since lots of us own more than one strollers, how about diaper bags? Currently I have about 8 (plus two from the hospital). I like the Little Tripper (old style) so much that I had to get two more last week for fear they'll become extinct.

Of course, DH doesn't know about this...LOL

Kate

egoldber
02-17-2003, 02:27 PM
I have five. :)

Lands End Little Tripper (all I used for the first 6 months and is now my quick trip bag)
Combi Urban Sling (every day bag)
Combi Traditional (out all day and travel bag)
Lands End Deluxe Do it All (HATE it, too big)
free one from the hospital

trumansmom
02-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Hmmm... A LOT!!

1. Lands End Do It All - Loved it at first, now use it mainly for travel.

2.Gap Carry All - HATE IT!!

3. Avent (Not the backpack) -Have gone through different phases with this. I like it right now.

4. Combi backpack - Hated it at first, then I loved it, now I use it occasionally.

5. Nine West messenger bag - HATE it! Doesn't hold much and opens up too easily.

6. Small Guatamalan bag that I received as a gift - Use this for church and quick trips and as a "leave in the car" bag.

Not diaper bags, but the two bags most in rotation right now -

Vera Bradley large tote - Not a diaper bag, but has tons of pockets. Diapers and wipes fit perfectly. Also plenty of other pockets for food, cups and my wallet and cell phone.

Vera Bradley medium tote - Same amount of pockets as above, just smaller. Good day trip sort of bag.

Now that I'm pregnant with #2, I will most likely get either a Vera Bradley diaper bag, or just another medium tote in different colors. Her patterns can be kind of cheesy, but some of them aren't too bad, and the pockets are better than any diaper bags I've found! Since Truman rarely needs to be changed in public anymore, I just carry the disposable changing sheets. With the new baby, I will probably put a changing pad from another bag in there. (Who am I kidding?! I'm sure I'll buy another 3 or 4 bags!)

I'm probably forgetting one or two, but I hope that helps! My husband thinks I'm nuts!

Jeanne

khakismom
02-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Great post! I am a purse/bag person--love 'em, always have. This is what I used with DD (not counting the 2 hospital ones):

*Kate Spade diaper bag--used as my main everyday bag after DD was an older infant (and still use today).
*Kenneth Cole messenger bag--great, black, stylish bag. Used mainly for travel and plane rides because it's bigger and I can sling it over 1 shoulder, but doesn't have alot of pockets.
*Vera Bradley diaper bag--received as gift. Very cute and used mainly when DD was a small infant.
*Eddie Bauer backpack--Oops, almost forgot about this one. Hubby received it as a gift from his buddies and he's used it twice.

Now that I have another DD on the way, this is what I've purchased for her impending arrival (also taking into account older DD's diapers and sippy cup):

*Mommy & Me tote (not the Belly Basics one but similar; can't remember the manufacturer, purchased at BRU)--this is my planned everyday bag when #2 arrives. It's black with tote handles, or optional shoulder strap, has tons of pockets, and also snaps onto your stroller. It also came with a attachable toy, 3 plastic "dirty duds"-type bags, and mini photo album (besides the usual changing pad).
*Baby Innovations Backpack--also from BRU on sale for $9.97. Can be used as a backpack or messenger style. Very roomy with good pockets.
*Land's End Multiple-Tot Tote Bag--from their Overstocks Web page for $14.50 (just checked today and it's now $12.50!)--huge bag, similar in size to their Do-It-All. Don't think I will use this for everyday but for travel, but still bought 2 because of the price--1 in pink, the other in kelly green. (Someone please stop me!) :7
*Belly Basics Mommy Tote--so cute, although I think this will be a better bag when #2 gets bigger. The tag on it even says it's geared for toddler moms. Actually I think I will start carrying this bag now before #2 comes along...

And to add to this mayhem, I am in love with the new Zooper Diaper Packs (similar to the Combi Urban Sling), which aren't even on the streets yet but should be in stores at the end of this month. (Love the yummy red color! :)) I can't wait to buy one! And am thinking about purchasing the Nicole Miller Backpack--love the cute babies pattern on the inside. Oh, I need help...

And yes, like you Kate, DH doesn't know about any of this. But yet, I read this board voraciously hoping everyday that there will be lots of new posts about people's diaper bags. I love reading about what everyone uses!!

I guess the old adage is true--the first step is to admit you have a purse problem... LOL }>

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl EDD 6/12/03

the5howards
02-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Too may

I have 3 kids and have gone thru phases with all of them

2 Le do -it alls one from 5 years ago and one is the style they just changed from
2 Le backpacks both gifts in the last few weeks
1 Le Little tripper older style
1 Coach Hamptons diaper bag
1 Maclaren Bowling tote
1 Belly basics mommy tote
1 Kenneth Cole Hacky Sac tote
1 Kenneth Cole Hacky Sac II tote the smaller one
1 Handmade Toile bag
1 Vera Bradley petite paddy

plus i have three of those Freebie diaper bags from the hospital

chrissy

strollerqueen
02-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Chrissy, do you prefer the older style LE, or the newer style?

strollerqueen
02-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I usually have a diaper bag to match every stroller. I change them seasonally as well. SO my answer would be, dozens.

the5howards
02-17-2003, 05:46 PM
>Chrissy, do you prefer the older style LE, or the newer
>style?

i perfer the older style LE bags to the new ones. I started buying LE bags 5 years ago and like the orginal ones best of all.

chrissy

queenmama77
02-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I have

Coach all-leather Multifunction Baby Bag
Jane Fox Melu wool
Kate Spade black messenger (diaper bag style)
Kate Spade baby tote (which I hated!)
Fossil leather backpack
Timbuk2 messenger bag
Gregory (outdoor gear) backpack for airplane travel!

Oh, and Henry has Spongebob and Veggie Tales backpacks! LOL

VickiH
02-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Kate - where did you find the old style Little Tripper???? I just won a new one on eBay.....

Hmmm, let's see - think I have about 10, but some were never used:
1.LE Do it All - too big, so I use it as DS's luggage
2.Eddie Bauer bag in black and red - I use this most of the time - it's my every day bag
3.Eddie Bauer bag in navy canvas - smaller than the red and black one, so I use it for quick trips and church
4.Avent tote bag - I hate this one - it always falls off my shoulder
5.Gap backpack - haven't used this one yet, but can't wait to try is out - I think this may become my every day bag
6.LE Little Tripper - just bought new off eBay, waiting for it to come

I have about 4 or 5 others that I don't use - received as gifts and were too cutesy, and the free hospital bags

pamela mom of 3
02-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Oh gosh, well i have four lands end bags and well i even have some perego bags left from child number one and she is seven in less than a month LOL

I would say easily eight, probably more if i go unbury them all ;)

I like the LE bags best though so the rest just sorta hang about....

Calmegja
02-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Queenmama-

How do you like your Timbuk2 bag? I adore them, and I am so close to ordering one, but I've never seen anyone else who has one....

What size did you get? And how much stuff can you get in it? I am thinking of using it as my summer bag for when we go out for the day, and I've got to pack for all four kidlets....

What colors did you get? I'm considering doing red in the middle, and black on the outsides...

Sorry for all the questions...I just love that bag!

Calmegja
02-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Ummmm...

Not so many, for four kids...

I have a LE Do It All that I use as Luggage, a Gap Classic Tote in black (old style), Baby Bjorn Clamshell, Kenneth Cole City Tote (red), and a Little Tripper....

That's not so many, right?

emmiem
02-18-2003, 10:36 AM
LOL! I have so many diaper bags. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
Coach Hampton bag- love the organization but too big and heavy for everyday use. Great for long travel.
Kate Spade Baby Shopper- loved it but does not have many pockets for us. Gets hard to carry while pushing stroller. Does not fit in non-american made stroller baskets.
Kate Spade Baby Messenger Bag- My favorite. Finally, a KS with lots of pockets!
Abenbag- love the fabric and designs but does not have enough pockets inside and closes with a small flap so things can fall out or get wet in the rain.
LE Day tripper-UGLY bag. Husband keeps it in car.
Vera Bradley PDO Bag- great for PDO or day care. Use it for that purpose. I wish the prints were more sophisticated rather than preppy.
Gap Backpack- great for all day excusions. I could never figure out what do put in what pocket.

momathome
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Oh, my. I'm a bit obsessed with diaper bags and still haven't found one that I'm in love with. I'll just list the ones I've had the last 2 years with baby #2:
1. Baby Bjorn Backpack (good for day trips to the zoo and good carry-on for trvel)
2. Tommy Hilfiger small diaper bag (changing pad tore pretty early on, but I only paid $20 for it at Marshalls)
3. Gap diaper tote (ok, but the handles were too short and the bag too big to put anywhere on a stroller)
4. Abenbag (I was so excited about this bag because of how cool it looked, but an inside pocket tore after less than a month of use - not good for a $130 bag!)
5. Lands End tote (stupid bag seeing as there was no closure on top - hence, the bag would tip and everything would spill out)
6. Baby's Alley Microfibre Backpack (probably my favorite overall seeing as I had one for my first baby, too, and really liked it)
7. Mackenzie Kids Mommy Tote (this is what I am currently using, like the compartments, particularly the detachable pocket which doubles as an emergency purse)
All this being said, I'm still on the lookout for the perfect diaper bag - considering I haven't carried a purse in my 5 years as "mommy", this has taken on quite a bit of importance to me!
-Lauren

Kate888
02-18-2003, 11:57 AM
LOL! I ordered the Multiple-tot Tote Bag, too, although I only have one baby. It's sitting in my closet. Don't know why I get pleasure just by looking at it :)

Kate
Mom to Maya 2/17/02

Kate888
02-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I ordered one from LE (they only have 3 colors left: dark fir, kelly green and bright red) and won one on eBay. Probably I don't need 3 Little Trippers (my first one is in Navy), but I don't know what's gotten into me. This little bag is just so convenient! I can put it in the stroller basket or hang it over the handle. But why am I still looking at diaper bags on eBay???

Kate :)
Mom to Maya 2/17/02

Kate888
02-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Beth, how do you like the Combi Traditional Bag? Is it similar to the LE Do-It-All? Is it bulky when stuffed? I have a DIA, but found it big even when it's half-empty.

Thanks!

Kate888
02-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who is always searching for the "perfect" diaper bag :) Maybe diaper bags are like potato chips, you can't only have one...

VickiH
02-18-2003, 01:30 PM
I just checked the LE website and I can't find it...I guess they are sold out...sigh. Do you have the item #....maybe I can find it that way. I am determined!!!

parkersmama
02-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Wow. I don't want to gloat but I'm feeling pretty good about my decided lack of diaper bags! LOL! :-) I've been kicking myself around for wanting a new one for our new baby and feeling like I couldn't justify it. I think you have all changed my mind...I NEED a new diaper bag!!

I have:
1. a LE Do-it-all that I got 5 1/2 years ago when Parker was born
2. a LE backpack that I got when I was expecting #2
3. a LE Little Tripper which is what we are currently using
4. a small bucket bag that I used when I was able to go with a smaller bag with Parker (it is monogrammed with his name so not really usable any more!)

I've given away countless freebie bags from the formula makers (3 pregnancies nets you a ton of these babies!) but those don't really count, right? So now I'm starting my investigation into a new diaper bag...yipee!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

hhl2
02-18-2003, 06:06 PM
I've also been searching for the perfect diaper bag! Here is my current list:

Kenneth Cole Hacky Sak bag (small) - used for quick trips to dinner or a playdate with one or both girls.
Kenneth Cole Hacky Sak bag (large) - used for trips to Grandma's house when we need extra clothes or pj's!
Lands End Little Tripper - used for quick trips to market.
Lands End Little Tripper backpack - don't use this much, I find it too small and awkward.
Baby Bjorn diaper backpack - I don't use this too often, really only used for travel. We put books, coloring books, a Leap Pad, etc. in it.
One Step Ahead diaper backpack - also only used for travel. We use it as a diaper bag - load it up with diapers, extra outfits, all that extra baby stuff I can't get on a plane without! It's a great bag (it also has two large insulated pockets on the side) but it's too big for everyday use.
Ameribag Healthy Back Bag - just bought this for our trip to California (we leave tomorrow). I'll use it as a diaper bag while we're there and as a purse for me while travelling.

Heidi

sweetbasil
02-18-2003, 06:37 PM
I have a LE little tripper (DH loved it b/c it was not girly!) and the do-it-all (too big)- our in-laws bought us both and had our last name embroidered on them so they'd work for all our kids.

Then I used a backpack purse for a while, so I wouldn't have several bags to carry. NOW, Kellen carries his own little Bob the Builder backpack I found on eBay- it's a pretty small one (most are like 30" tall, and he's not much bigger, so I found one that was 16" and fits perfectly). He thinks he's big, and I don't have to deal w/his bag anymore.

Then I found this really cute little bag on eBay that I HAD to get for DS #2, and it's a little more girly than DH would like, but I didn't ask him :) the seller is too_toot, and they have lots of cute bags. I saw lots of other precious boutique-like toile bags, but this one matches my bassinet bedding. Not that the two will ever be seen together, but whatever!

egoldber
02-18-2003, 08:12 PM
I LOVE the Combi Traditional. It is a little bigger than I need for everyday. It holds a ton, but is NOT bulky when stuffed. It has a very different shape than the Urban Sling. It is also much more sleek than the DIA.

HTH,

kathsmom
02-18-2003, 09:56 PM
I only have 2 diaper bags. After MUCH searching, buying, and returning, I have kept the following: Lands' End Little Tripper and the Baby Trend ActivPak backpack. I know that I have bought and returned probably 20 diaper bags/totes/backpacks. I want to thank all of you who have patiently helped in my diaper bag search and offered suggestions.

I am now jealous to see all the diaper bags some of you own! I don't know if I can come on this thread anymore, because my husband will throw me out of the house if I came home with any more diaper bags!

When we told DD that we were going to BRU, she asked if we were going to look at more diaper bags and bring them home. I told her that we weren't and she was highly disappointed. She even tried to get me to the diaper bag section at BRU once we were there, but DH and I held strong (although I could feel my resolve weakening!!).

This was a fun thread!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Kate888
02-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Call the customer service (1-800-356-4444) and the item number is 65914-P54. I just called LE and found out that the Little Trippers are still available in three colors. Don't know why they're not on the website, maybe because the quantities are limited?

I like the word "determined" :)

Kate
Mom to Maya 2-17-02

Kate888
02-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Thank you so much, Beth!! The Traditional Bag looks good online. Too bad I can't see it IRL. I need something that's not as bulky as the DIA. I found a good deal on Combi's site, but it's "black tie", not the microfiber. I have no idea what "black tie" means, funny name.

Thanks again!

Kate

VickiH
02-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Kate, you are awesome!!! They have them left in Light Kelly Green and Bright Red. WhooHoo!!! Thanks so much. Now I just have to hide them from DH when they come and pretend I had tham all along, or blame them on my mom!

mom2nicholas
02-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only who is obsessed! Now if only I can convince DH that I'm not totally nuts!

LE little tripper -- still too small for anything
LE backback -- great, except that my laptop bag is also a backpack, and I can't carry 2 backpacks
LE Deluxe Do-it-all -- for the weekend trips to grandparents
LE Do-it-all -- this is the newest one, hoping to replace the LE backpack - but it's bulky even though it is still empty!
Avent tote -- I like it, but it carries too much static and the strap falls off my shoulder
Kenneth Cole Reaction -- no pockets, too heavy, but more stylish than the rest (sort of -- I'm pretty low-key)
Safeline Kids backpack -- used it a ton before starting back at work, but it's too uncomfortable on my back

I'm still searching for the perfect bag -- thinking of the Combi traditional or urban sling...

Somebody stop me!

khakismom
02-19-2003, 11:04 AM
My curiousity is picqued now! :) Does anyone have a picture of what the old style Little Tripper looks like? Red sounds like an awesome color! I'm thinking about ordering one...

Thanks!!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl 6/12/03

Nina31
02-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Now it's my turn! I had to wait a bit before I responded to this thread; I didn't want my DH to find out how many bags I have! If he really knew, he'd flip! But he's off to work now, so here goes:

Activpak - Used it a great deal when DS was small; now it's his daycare bag and overnight bag. Lots of room, still holding strong after two years!

Avent Tote- My dressy diaper bag. Also serves as a work bag. Love the aqua lining inside. Holds a lot of stuff, but doesn't work well when running after a toddler- the straps can slip off.

Avent Backpack - Wide comfortable straps, light gray interior, lots of pockets. I love the microfiber. Its my favorite for now. Not too big, not too small.

Gap Backpack - Also serves as a work bag. Nice design. It would be my favorite if the nylon wasn't so stiff. I even threw in the wash with fabric softerner to see if it would break in. Didn't work!

LE Little Tripper- Both last year's and the new one. Use for quick trips. I like the design and organization of this year's, but I like the size of last year's (and color, I love that Woodland Sage. It's a nice break from all my black!). But why did LE have to make them smaller?

I like having different bags because I've stopped carrying a separate purse. I like having variety. And since some double as a work bag they all get used a lot. :)

Nina

Melanie
02-19-2003, 06:58 PM
I've been wanting to try the Avent backpack or tote, but they look small to me...I might just have to give them a try. I've also been drooling over the Timbuk2 bags, but since I've never had a messenger bag I'm hesitant due to the price.

-2 Freebie Enfamil bags (one stays in Dh's trunk, other was donated)
-1 Blue Winnie the Pooh bag for Dh b/c it had to LOOK like a diaper bag and not be mistaken for a purse. ( He never used it, donated it)
-1 Big Graco Melissa Diaper bag, used mostly for overnights.
-1 MacKenzie Kids backpack with mommy tote. We like this a lot, but when full it sticks out far from your back so I don't use it for shopping b/c I'd knock into things.
-1 Gap Ultimate Tote. Thought I'd like, but I miss having an easily accessible pocket for my things on the outside. I like the end pockets for drink & cell though. I'd sell it on eBay but they don't seem to be moving much.
-1 Small Eddie Bauer bag I used to use for quick trips before we starting using Cloth Dipes.
-1 Old Navy Messenger bag. I just bought this b/c I wanted to see if I liked the style (looks similiar to Timbuk2) for A LOT less money. It also has end drink & cell pockets. I'm liking it okay.
-1 Small Winnie the Pooh bag that came in a gift-set & matches crib sheets. Too small, really, for anything, but I'm keeping it b/c it matches the crib set.

Mommy to Jonah

caroliner
02-19-2003, 08:21 PM
I want more, but just can't do it, so I should not even read this thread! I have:

1. Combi Urban Sling, the every day about the town type bag
2. Baby Bjorn hard case one, only used for travel
3. Samsonite rolling back pack, OK, used for travel
4. Cute patchwork type bag I got for $7 at Marshalls

My sister has the One Step Ahead backpack and I think it looks marvelous!

Kate888
02-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Try this site. The "bright red" color is a very vibrant red. More on the "orangy red" end, not the "santa red". You can ask for a swatch from Lands End.

http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/kidstravelproducts/diaperbags.htm

HTH

Kate

khakismom
02-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Thank you Kate! I also plugged in the item number to Land's End online catalog search and was able to see a picture there. And Lord help me, I bought one--I'm so excited to get it! :)

So add another one to my list--yipes...

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl EDD 6/12/03

sparkeze
02-21-2003, 03:30 AM
I'm feeling so much better! I thought I had too many but obviously I could use another one! I have:
1. Combi Urban Sling
2. Kenneth Cole Reaction backpack

And a few freebies of course. I think I need another one now.