PDA

View Full Version : Help! Diaper bag mistake!

jubilee
02-18-2003, 06:12 AM
I can see why you all have several diaper bags! I ordered online the Combi Microfiber Fashion Diaper Bag because it is styled like a purse. I'm not concerned about my husband using it, so I thought I'd go with a bag that appealed to me. (I'm not into the fabric on the Eddie Bauer or Lands End.) Well, I receieved it yesterday and I hate it already. It doesn't have interior sections, just one big section, and it doesn't have a changing pad! And I was dumb enough to order it directly from Combi and all sales are final... so it's mine to keep. The size is perfect and it will hold everything I think I'd want to carry, but there is no way to organize it with just one compartment! Any suggestions on how to make this work? Or should I just resign myself to getting another one? (and I know my husband will not be happy about that) Also, if I do have to buy another, which bags organize well? I thought of the Combi Urban Sling, but I don't like to wear straps across my body. Please help!

Momof3Labs
02-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Does it have any pockets on the outside? You can easily add a changing pad ($5 at BRU) - that's no big deal. My diaper bag has a section on the outside where I can put small items, and one big center section. I like it because if I need to pack in a little more or less of something (diapers, change of clothes), I just shift everything around to do it. While inside compartments are nice, they don't give you quite as much flexibility. The only small item in the center section is my tube of diaper cream.

Can you try packing it - it might end up working for you after all (since you are stuck with it)? Even as a quick trip bag, when you don't need to carry as much. Maybe add a small zip-bag for your items? I don't know - I'm just trying to make it a little useful for you since you are stuck with it!

celfsh
02-18-2003, 12:51 PM
I have yet to find a real "diaper bag" that I could live with--instead, I've just been using my average-sized pre-baby purse and it's actually worked out quite well. I have a zippered pouch (like those you would find at an office supply store) that I stock with a couple of diapers, wipes, an extra onesie, hand sanitizer, and a disposable changing pad (I don't know if anyone else ever uses these, but they're great for when you're out and about). I suppose I'm a bit of a minimalist, so this type of setup may not work for you, but since I'm still exclusively BFing (except for the occasional bottle), I've found that this is all I really need for a few hours out. As a side note, the beauty of the "changing supply pouch" is that when DH changes the baby, he can just take the pouch instead of my whole purse, which is super important to him. LOL! Of course, now that solids are looming large, I may have to get serious about finding a more traditional diaper bag solution. HTH. Good luck!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

jenfed
02-18-2003, 01:27 PM
I've been through tons of bags too, and just haven't found the perfect one. I too, use a pouch (I got mine at LL Bean, it's a waterproof large Toiletry Zip Pouch) and I put wipes, diapers, diaper cream, and some other necessities in it, and it's easy when I want to change bags or not bring my entire bag when I change the baby. I just pull it out and have all my essentials.

I sometimes through the pouch in a large pocketbook also, depending on how long I will be out.

By the way, if you really hate the bag, try selling it on Ebay...I've done that with a few of my bags!!

jubilee
02-19-2003, 04:28 AM
Thank you!! I love the idea of getting zippered pouches to help organize. (Why can't I think of these easy ideas by myself?? Must be pregnancy brain.) The bag has a zippered, insulated bottle pouch on the outside in which I'll probably put a water bottle for me, since I will be breastfeeding. The only other pouch is a small zippered outside section that would probably hold a small wallet and keys only. I think the zippered pouches from an office supply and a changing pad will make all the difference. It is actually an attractive bag, it was just the inside organization that seemed impossible that made me dislike it. At least with your suggestions I can live with it! Thanks again,