PDA

View Full Version : Work/Daycare/Pump -- how to pack??

mom2nicholas
02-19-2003, 12:18 AM
I've been back at work for 3 months, but I still haven't found a good packing system, and I'm wondering if you have any ideas... I alternate between carrying a huge bag with everything and carrying 6 bags each with a different purpose... Here's what I need to carry.

1. Laptop computer (in its own backpack, so I can't use another backpack)
2. My stuff (wallet, keys, ID, nursing pads, cell phone, medicine) -- fits in a medium purse, but not the usual 'parent pocket')
3. Pumping stuff -- I leave the pump at work, but I still have to bring 4 flanges and 4 bottles
4. Cooler bag (brings milk to daycare, then stays with me to keep pumped milk)
5. DS's daycare bag -- sheet, blanket, bottles, food, diapers, wipes, etc.

6. Emergency backup for DS -- extra diapers, wipes, cream, changing pad etc. in case I need to bring DS back with me to work after daycare closes

How do you all pack for work, pumping, and daycare? It's exhausting just to think about it...

Thanks!
Mom to Nicholas (8-11-02)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-19-2003, 01:04 AM
I can help with some of that. I got a computer backpack at CompUSA that holds my laptop, plus has room for my medium-small purse in the front section, plus my shoes, plus my lunch. That might cut down on some of what you carry.

I expect to be able to fit at least my pump accessories into it too. I think I will have to carry a separate cooler bag for bottles/lunch though.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

Momof3Labs
02-19-2003, 01:33 AM
Hmmm... Can you leave bag #6 at work, instead of carrying it around all the time? If you need to restock, you can always throw a couple of diapers in with the laptop!

I can sympathize - one day a week I have to go into our office, which is a 1.5 hour commute each way (mostly train). I have resorted to a luggage wheelie to spare my back, because I am toting my PIS, laptop, purse and assorted paperwork. It's not perfect, but works for one day a week!

hardysmom
02-19-2003, 02:59 AM
Man. I am exhaused just reading your packing list. ;)

Stephanie

nola
02-19-2003, 03:40 PM
This is more or less what I pack also. But..

The Emergency backup bag usually just stays in the car.

The Pump stuff is usually stuffed in my laptop bag.

I don't have a cooler bag, since I keep the milk in the fridge at my work. I stuff the milk that goes to daycare in the daycare bag, and I don't worry about it getting too warm while it is in transit. Likewise, milk coming home from work is stuffed in the laptop bag, and I don't worry so much about insulating it during transit. I figure it is already well chilled before I leave and the travel time is less than an hour.

So, I keep the count to about three main bags: laptop, purse, daycare bag. I bring the pump home for the weekends, so that can add a fourth bag. And I bring my workout gear on certain days so that can add a fifth bag. And I try not to forget the little girl.:) My only advise is what you already know: relax, make multiple trips to the car, and keep lots of lists.

TheMamaKath
02-20-2003, 11:34 AM
I would see about getting a different backpack. We use a sport laptop bacpac from a local computer shop. It holds 2 dozen diapers in a bottom pouch when we travel, as well as the laptop and having a arge compartment for other stuff. Also I would use a black microfiber makeup bag for your stuff, that way when you grab it out it looks like a purse. Pumping stuff I would bring two flanges and wash them inbetween, still bring 4 bottles obviously. Contain all that in a lunchbox cooler to store milk in during day.Emergency supplies, I wouldn't tote back and forth. keep them in the car or office and replenish as needed.

If all else fails, get one of those crates on wheels, and throw your 6 current bags in.

Hope that helps!

~The Mama Kath~

Mama to 2 awesome, amazing, adorable kids

parkersmama
02-20-2003, 11:45 AM
You've had some great suggestions and I only have one very small thing to add...just take one set of flanges for the pump. Rinse them well after each use and they'll be fine to use again during the same day. Just make sure you wash them in the evenings in the dishwasher or with hot soapy water. I didn't have to carry as much as you are but I did pump every day at work and only used one set of flanges all day and never had a problem.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

nola
02-20-2003, 04:59 PM
I do as Denise has suggested. I bring a square medium-large sized tupperware container that fits my flanges and bottle. I use this in transporting my equipment to the nearest sink which isn't in the room I use to express. This way I am not walking down the hallway of my work carrying milk-laden flanges. I like the tupperware container because it is easy to rinse and dry, but I suppose an insulated lunch box might work equally well. I rinse the flanges and container with hot water immediately after I use them and lay them out to dry between sessions, but I wash them only on the weekends. I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).