PDA

View Full Version : Strollers with the easiest steering?

egoldber
02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
I really like my Instep Safari. It has a swivel front wheel (which is also lockable) and I adore it. It steers like a dream. It is fabulous for neighborhood walks, has a removable parent tray, removable child tray, removable napper bar, storage pocket on the back of the stroller and a large roomy basket underneath. It folds very easily. The wheels pop off very easily if you need them to for storage.

While it doesn't begin to compare to something like a Mountain Buggy Urban in terms of longevity or strength, to be honest, I don't need that much stroller. Mine was also about 1/3 the price and it is perfect for me. I have pushed a MB Urban and I think my Instep pushes and maneuvers just as easily.

Now, if I were going "off road" on serious trails or were going to be jogging, then I would think about spending a lot more money. But for average use, I think the Instep is great.

In terms of general steering, nothing steers like my Maclaren Mistral. I would say that after that, my Instep steers best, followed by my Chicco 2002. And followed in the distance by my Peg Venezia.

HTH,

TrinaCliff
02-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Teutonia PiXXel steers awesome! It's super comfy and plush too.

Kristen

atlbaby
02-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Beth,
I just heard about the Instep Safari today, but haven't heard any personal experiences. They are apparently coming out with a double this Spring, and I wouldn't need it until the Fall. I swear I never did this much stroller research when I was pregnant with Arielle, and I only own a Combi Ultra Savvy and snap-n-go so I feel way out of my league!:)

But your stroller sounds ideal for me! The MBUD cost is a big issue for me, however I do need something that can manage nasty sidewalks, (a lightweight stroller doesn't really cut it). Like you though, I don't really need it to go 'off road.' I haven't found info on the proposed price of the Instep Safari Double, but could you tell me what you paid, if you don't mind, so I could get an idea?

And, I've heard the basket of the MB isn't great--how does the Instep compare if you have seen both?

Thanks!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

egoldber
02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Would you be planning to use it indoors? The Instep is definitely wider than the MB, so that could be an issue.

I think I paid $125 for it. That was the best deal I could find locally. I would imagine that the double would be about $200.

And I think that the basket on the Instep is similar to the one on the MB Urban. It is fabric, not a wire basket like the one on the MB Terrain.

HTH,

atlbaby
02-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Hmmm...Well, I was hoping to get one double and have it for all-purpose use, so maybe the Instep wouldn't be that stroller then :(

$200 vs $500+ sounds so wonderful though!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

nohomama
02-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Talk about serendipity. I was just (meaning tonight) looking at this stroller online and wondering about how it compared to the MB Urban. I'm interested in the double as well. I often have two kids in tow (child care co-oping) and it's a drag to only have the option of carrying one in the backpack while pushing the other in the stroller. From the difference in the price tag I'm certain the construction and durability of the Urban is better. I was wondering more about dimensions and handling. Also is it only available in the blue fabric?

nohomama
02-20-2003, 12:06 AM
The 2001 Mac Techno is my benchmark. I feel something like Fred Astaire dancing with a broomstick when strolling around town. My Zippy is in second place for one-handed steering but it's size and weight (which make it harder to steer) also mean it does better in the snow we've been dealt lately.

egoldber
02-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Sarah, I have only seen it in the blue fabric.

I adore the way mine handles. I also had mine out in the snow the other day and it did really well. It is definitely heavier and wider than the Mountain Buggy, but mine mainly lives in my garage, so it doesn't matter to me. I have used mine around the neighborhood, at race tracks, on the DC metro system and it works great.

As far as dimensions, I checked the Instep website (www.instep.net), but it didn't have any specs for the double Safari. I have had quick repsonses when I have e-mailed their customer service in the past, so you may want to give that a try.

As an added bonus, I saw that dynadirect.com has the double for $169. They list the retail price as $269.

HTH,

TheMamaKath
02-20-2003, 10:41 AM
My vote would go for the Kiwi Explorer as a single or a double. We have used it many places even a MB double wouldn't have fit in historic Washington DC and Arlington VA. It is smooth as anything to push, either walking or running. Absolutely amazing! It is also fairly cost effective since you invest in the single, then add the second seat when you need it. This saves the trouble of investing in a single, then having to reinvest in a double.

On the lower cost index, I have (although my mom now keeps it at her place to walk the dog with my kids) a Fisher Price Town and Country. Also steers really well, even one handed, although it pulls to the side a bit. For the cost it is great (sometimes they pop up on ebay). The FP would be in the same grouping as the Instep Safari and Jeep Liberty, as far as cost and steering, etc if on the market currently.

The Jeep Liberty has good steering, lots of features (trays, toys on baby tray, big basket, one hand fold), and is fairly inexpensive. Instep Safari is very cool too! Color choices more in the techno scheme (grays and blues) than the Liberty (green or black), but still full of features for a good price.

There are others with great steering, that would not be considered all terrain however.

HTH

~The Mama Kath~ (aka Mamakath-I couldn't log in today as myself, lol)

Mama to 2 awesome, amazing, adorable kids

caroliner
02-20-2003, 04:36 PM
My easiest steerers are my Mac Techno and my Teutonia Swing

Rachels
05-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Just curious what your favorites are. Also, which jogger or trek strollers have easy steering? I borrowed a friend's BOB jogger, and my daughter was REALLY comfortable in it, but the non-swiveling front wheel drove me crazy. I kept brushing her up against bushes and storefronts.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02