PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for Water Use

August Mom
02-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Has anyone tried using a baby carrier in the shower or pool? I have been thinking that this would be something useful to have for showering after Water Babies class, on vacation and possibly to enable me to resume my aquacise classes (this may be a little ambitious :)) Anyway, I found something called the WaterRoo Deluxe Baby Pouch and would like to hear any comments on it:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/kidsstuff/s508-waterroo.html

Also, if anyone knows of a similar product, please let me know.

Finally, DS hasn't enjoyed his sling too much, but he loves his Baby Bjorn. If anyone has a DD or DS like this but has successfully used a mesh sling in the water, please let me know. I am thinking that a sling would be more comfortable, especially as DS gets bigger, but if he hates it that won't help me.

TIA

sweetbasil
02-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Beth got back from a trip to Jamaica a few weeks ago and had a great review for a similar product....
Not sure if this link will work- I went into the Lounge and looked at page 4- check the third reply:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/592.html

HTH!

Calmegja
02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Okay, I'm kind of a carrier obsessed mama, but from the pictures, that looks like that would be really uncomfortable...look how low that baby is positioned...that will just pull on your shoulders and back, and I think it would be a great big ouch...

I used a shirtcloth sling for summer last year, and I just had a summer sling made for me by Tanya at Kangaroo Korner for this summer. It's a mesh type material from Solarveil, so it's got UV protection to boot....

Your baby may not be a fan of a regular sling, but a mesh sling is light, and airy, and the older your baby gets, the more baby will enjoy a hip carry, which a sling excels at.

My disclaimer is that I've never had the item on in your picture link, so I can't say for sure about the positoning, but those pictures make it look like a not so great design, especially for water. And part of making a baby feel secure in water is proximity to mama, and that would also put baby at a weird angle for that....

Hope that helps a little...

egoldber
02-19-2003, 04:39 PM
I got a mesh water sling which Sarah loved from http://www.taylormadetreasures.com/ I tend to prefer pouch style slings, but this one was really nice and secure in the water. It dries very quickly. It also came within a week of ordering it.

I also thought that water pouch looked incredibly unconfortable. I am not sure why the baby is so low in the pouch.

Have you tried the hip carry with the sling? Sarah loves being carried on my hip in a sling.

HTH,

August Mom
02-19-2003, 05:54 PM
I thought the baby looked rather low in the photo as well (especially as compared to the Baby Bjorn). I'm not sure if that's how you have to wear the baby or if the photographer wanted the baby away from the mom's head. Anyway, I think we'll break out the sling again and try some new positions. Maybe DS will like the hip carry. Thanks.