PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Hell

psmurphy
02-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi. I'm hoping you guys can help me. My baby is due in July and for some reason I am obsessed with strollers. So far I have bought a Kolcraft Universal Carrier and a Graco carseat, but I'm starting ot think that I need something that will allow me to take long walks with the baby in a fully reclined position. I should also add that I am a sucker for cool design and packaging, and so am wondering what you all think of the Teutonia Y2K, the Bugaboo or the Mountain Buggy Urban. These are all strollers that I've been reading about on this site, and they all seem to have their pros and cons. I live in New York City and plan to do quite a bit of walking, but will also have to get into the occassional cab or subway, so th equestion is: WHAT SHOULD I DO???? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pamela

Rachels
02-19-2003, 09:16 PM
LOL! You're in good company! Truthfully, I'd suggest starting with the Kolcraft and ordering your next stroller after you've been out with your babe few weeks and you really have a good sense of your stroller needs.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

hardysmom
02-19-2003, 11:26 PM
No way would you want to put a Y2K into a cab in NYC frequently (or alone!). That would be a nightmare. I travel quite a bit with mine, but I wouldn't take it to the City if I was going to be taking taxis...

It weighs almost 40 lbs, doesn't fold compactly, and you would have to actually take the seat off the chassis to get it into some trunks. While this process isn't difficult, its not something you could do while holding a child or in traffic... might be easier with the bassinet since you could put it in the cab with you, but it would add another $300 to the price and would be outgrown in 6 months.

My Y2K is one of my favorite things. If you live in a building with an elevator, storage and/or the ability to leave it downstairs and didn't plan on taking it into many stores it would be great... It would be a great stroller for hanging out in in the park.

If you REALLY want a Teutonia, a PiXXel might be a better choice, though they are still very heavy they are more flexible. They must fold smaller that the Y2K 'cause I hear about people throwing them in their trunks, which you couldn't do (in most cars) with a Y2K. I have a Subaru Outback and it barely fits in the back end w/o taking it apart!

Heritage Baby still has a few PiXXels they have discounted, but you wold have to jump on it soon since they won't be sold in the US anymore. I'd be happy to help if you had any Teutonia questions.

Stephanie

psmurphy
02-19-2003, 11:27 PM
thanks. but still - i need feedback! we're moving in august and i'm going to be so busy with work, baby and packing that I'm hoping to try and get this type of stuff out of the way...

psmurphy
02-19-2003, 11:32 PM
thanks. that was my fear about the Y2K, hence my interest in the bugaboo and mountain buggy. I guess I just really want something that has the option of a bassinet and then can become a stroller. Any other thoughts?

hardysmom
02-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Those are both great, but very different. Personally, it would drive me bonkers to have to take apart the Bugaboo, but it is very cool looking.

I know there is at least one mom in Brooklyn who uses a MB as her only stroller and really likes it-- pulls it donw the stairs to the subway and everything!

Stephanie

nola
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi Pamela, I so understand where you are coming from. I was exactly the same way. I researched exhastively. I came to the conclusion that it was between the MBU or Bugaboo. Yup.
They are both great strollers and you will probably be happy with either one. I would give the edge to the MBU since it folds in one piece and costs much less. Frankly though, the Bugaboo is so seductive.
Having said that, my angel sister-in-law brought me her used stroller a week after I delivered. It is a ten-year-old Graco stroller, but it works fabulous. Light, steers great, folds easily, big basket, blah, blah, blah. It is so ugly, but the best stoller ever. Once that happened, my Bugaboo dreams were out the window - there was no way the hubby would go along with that purchase. I keep hoping something will happen, like a wheel falling off, so that I will have a good excuse, but so far, no such luck.
But, you cannot depend on a fairy sister-in-law to come to your rescue as mine did. You will have/get to spend the big bucks... When you get your stroller write in about it so I can live vicariously. :)

parkersmama
02-20-2003, 05:50 PM
As for that wheel falling off thing, you could always get out the pliers and pull one off...oops! LOL!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

JerseyMom
02-21-2003, 10:02 AM
I just moved out of the city about six months ago. And since I am expecting in April, I have been researching strollers extensively too.

If I were still in the city, I would be pushing for Bugaboo Frog. Not only is this stroller seductive looking, but I think considering the geography of the city, the Bugaboo could get you in and out of the smallest stores,up and down the narrowest of stairwells and really just be a great stroller.

My only concern would be leaving it outside, which is what many parents do when at certain museums, restaurants and children centers. This stroller is so cool, I can't believe it wouldn't get stolen. I guess you could always get a bike lock!