PDA

View Full Version : Please help! I can't decide on a stroller.

michlee
02-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi Moms!

I can't decide on a stroller to replace my Snap n Go. I would use this new stroller mainly when running errands and shopping with my 9 month old baby, although I'd also like something that could double as a good travel stroller. (Perhaps, this is my problem: one stroller that does all this doesn't exist!?) I already have a jogging stroller.

Here are my "needs"
*Adjustable handles (I am tall)
*Fairly lightweight (>16 pounds)
*Easy to fold and compact when folded (umbrella handles?)
*Canopy
*Reclining seat (It doesn't have to recline all that way but enough so my son can take a nap)

And my "like to haves"
*Decent sized basket (enough for a diaper bag and shopping bag)
*Cup holder for me/snack tray for baby

I was leaning toward the PP Pliko Matic but am now having second thoughts because of the steering issues and the size of the basket.
The Ultra Savvy was another finalist but then someone said it's not "substantial" enough.

I think I've pretty much decided against the Macs because of the sloped seat. My son hates the slope. And the Zooper because it doesn't seem good for someone who is tall. I'd like to avoid Graco because of the quality issues.

I am currently intrigued by the Teutonias. Can someone tell me which model would be the best for me. Swing? Pixxel? Other? Also, a lot of posters seem to like Chicco strollers. Would Chicco be good for me? Is so, which one?

Help! -Michelle

hardysmom
02-19-2003, 11:48 PM
I would consider under 16lbs as lightweight...

None of the Teutonias are under 25 lbs, so they would really be out. Everyone hoped that the new Toni would be light, but their website lists it at 26 lbs!

The PiXXel and the Swing, both of which have great steering, are not being sold in the US any longer. Bummer! I think Heritage Baby may have 1-2 more PiXXels, but no Swings. Again, the PiXXel is a very heavy (30 lbs) full featured stroller which is not at all compact.

It is the Chicco 2002s you hear all the raving about. The steering is wonderful-- the general advice is that if you love Pliko, but want Mac steering, this is the stroller for you... They weigh about 18-20 lbs, have full recline, and are self standing when folded. I have a mac Vogue and a Teutonia Swing or I would have purchased one of these. Chicco split their line, meaning they sell upscale strollers (the 2002s) produced in Europe, and lower end (but decent) strollers to places like BRU. The 2002's run about $160-$200 online. I think they are the most flexible stroller out there if you can compromise a bit on the weight..

The 2003 Macs are supposed to have better seats. If they do, you might check them out since they really fit your needs...

You might also want to check out the Kidco Finale and the Zooper Sport and Z-street. I'd say Zippy, but it isn't so gereat if you have a long stride.

HTH Stephanie

Tondi G
02-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Peg is coming out with a "New" Pliko... check out the new arrivals on thier website... there is a post below that has a website that has them as well! Looks Nice! It has everything you are looking for... parent cup holder, child tray, and it has a decent basket (plus we hang stuff on the handles and it works great), flat seat, adjustable handles! I really don't see the huge deal with the steering... I steer mine with my 19 month old in it one handed often... it's not perfect but can be done! We've traveled with our Pliko and it was great as well! Check out the new one on the website and chek e-bay for older and current models

Other than that I would say look at the Chicco 2002 or Inglesina Zippy! I would skip the Combi if you are tall! Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason .. PLIKO LOVERS!

momathome
02-20-2003, 09:57 AM
I love my pliko, too. I really think it is the most versatile stroller out there. No, it doesn't steer like a Mac, but for all the features it has, I think it is a great value for the price. Also, if you eventually plan on having another baby, the footboard on the back is terrific for an older child to stand on. This, I believe, is the only single stroller on the market to have this feature bulit-in. Yes, you can buy a buggy board to attach to a stroller, but why pay extra money when the feature is built into this one? The padding is fantastic, it folds up pretty compactly for such a full-featured stroller, and as far as the steering, I can't for the life of me figure out what all the complaints are about. It pushes perfectly fine with my 24 lb. 2 year-old in the seat and my 37 lb. 5 year-old on the back of it. Name another stroller that can do all tis for the price of the pliko. To my knowledge, it doesn't exist. Good luck!
-Lauren (proud pliko owner for 2 years!)

michlee
02-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Thank you so much. I've decided to go with the Chicco 2002. It looks like Baby Universe has the best price right now at $143.

-Michelle

momathome
02-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Just keep in mind, Chiccos only have a 33lb weight-limit, which is definitely on the skimpy side. Chances are, your baby will outgrow this stroller by age 3. Most other strollers have at least a 40lb weight limit. Just something to consider.
-Lauren

egoldber
02-22-2003, 04:18 PM
I really don't understand this weight limit on the Chicco. The 2002 is at least as sturdy as a Peg Pliko.

Momof3Labs
02-22-2003, 04:57 PM
There's also one at www.indoorsandoutdoors.com for $100:

http://www.indoorsandoutdoors.com/chic20delstr.html

strollerqueen
02-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Well, in real life, I have used my CHicco for BOTH my kids, at the same time, lol! That;s close to 70 pounds worth! I never planned to do it like that, it just sort of happened. ANyway, I'm happy to report that with the seat fully reclined, and with both kids in there, it still pushes and steers like a dream one-handed. I am consistently impressed with this stroller. So anyway, I never heard about that extremely low weight limit. Not that I am recommending everyone stick both their kids in there. But I would agree that it is
constructed quite similarly to the Pliko, and is very good quality. I certainly would think it could carry at least as much. I do use a buggy board attached to the back of it to, btw. It is more cumbersome than the Pliko's footsteps. But my DD would never ride on the Pliko's. SHe said they were too small, and it was scary. Many of my friends kids refused to stand on them, too. Yet they all love the buggy board! So I guess it depends on the child. I also sold my Pliko because it was really impossible to push it with one hand, which is an important feature when you are trying to hold the hand of a toddler.

parkersmama
02-24-2003, 02:26 PM
If you haven't already ordered, this site has a coupon today for an additional 5% off. Use coupon code "SAVEFIVE" at checkout.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

lukkykatt
02-24-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that the weight limit on the Chicco hasn't been a problem - that was the one reason I was hesitant to get one. Has anyone ordered the Chicco from Indoors and Outdoors? Someone had said in a previous post that they didn't think it looked "normal".

TIA!

hardysmom
02-25-2003, 12:01 AM
It doesn't have the napper bar. Personally, I would want the bar, but it is a personal pref. thing. I have never seen one anywhere else which came without them...

Stephanie