PDA

View Full Version : maclaren global strollers

mgentry
02-20-2003, 01:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used the maclaren global stroller. my husband and i have searched high and low for a stroller that would fit an infant car seat, be light, and also accomadate my husband's height. we liked the ultra savy, but the handles do not adjust and he and i both ended up kicking the back of the stroller. i thought the combi pefect match would be good, but it was heavier than i would like. if you have any advice about the maclaren global or experience i would like to know what you think, or even possible suggestions of other strollers.

thanks,
michelle
mommie-to-be-may3

Tondi G
02-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Look into a Peg Perego Pliko... they have a new one that is about to come out that has been modified a little (might be worth the wait!)check their website on the new arrivals section OR the Inglesina Zippy! Check E-bay for both of these strollers!

The Global is ok.... just seemed a little flimsy to me.. I didn't LOVE it like I thought I would! We ended up with a Pliko and couldn't be happier. If you have a Value City near by (check their website for locations) you might get a great deal for the 2001 Pliko (which will accomodate ANY infant car seat with an adapter bar) stroller travel system which will include the Peg infant seat and base as well... for 99 BUCKS!!! Great deal, worth looking into!

Many other people also just start out with the Snap and Go or Kolcraft Univ. Car Seat Carrier for the beginning and then buy a stroller when they know what they really want/need.... then they don't have to worry about it being infant seat compatible!

Good Luck!
~Tondi

Momof3Labs
02-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I think that the Global and Combi 6630 are about the same weight - maybe a pound or two difference, and the Zippy and Pliko are in the same range. If you don't want something that is 17-ish pounds, then definitely go with the Kolcraft UCSC and wait to buy your main stroller.

Lightweight strollers (say, 13 pounds and under) include Maclaren (which isn't good for infants, generally) and Aprica (expensive but has a loyal following). Otherwise you are looking at strollers in the same weight range as the Combi that felt too heavy...

mgentry
02-20-2003, 09:38 PM
hey tondi,
thanks for the input. i was wondering if this new peg perego pliko
has more of an adjustment height for their handles? the peg pliko
we tried in the stores was not tall enough for my husband they only
had a 1/2 inch adjustment. i have never seen the inglesina brand
before, do they accomadate tall people?
michelle

Momof3Labs
02-21-2003, 12:16 AM
The Zippy isn't known for accomodating tall people.

mgentry
02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
thanks for the input.

Tondi G
02-21-2003, 01:03 PM
I would say call the Peg Perego Customer Service number off the website and ask them all about the new Pliko coming out! They can probably give you a better idea... and they are very nice every time I have called with questions! Good Luck!

~Tondi

charigot
02-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Just wanted to mention that our Zooper Buddy (HEAVY) has great adjustable handles. I am 5'11" and my husband is 6'4" and we both love the handles. It was a major selling point. That said, it's too heavy for your use. However, I was just looking on their site and the z-street is 17 lbs, and may have the same adjustability. They are different handles (two instead of one on the buddy) but they tout their "ergonomic handles" so maybe they adjust a lot, too, like the buddy.

http://www.zooper.com/products/goanywhere/zstreet/spec.htm

mgentry
02-21-2003, 04:00 PM
thanks for your input, i am checking into these strollers now.
michelle:)

chucksmom
02-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Sadly, the z-street handles do not adjust. I am 5'8" and husband is 6 feet and we both shorten our strides a bit with this stroller. We love it in every other respect though.

mgentry
02-21-2003, 08:30 PM
thank you for the info. i hate stroller shopping now!!!!! this is so
frustrating! thanks for all the help.
michelle

Sarah1
02-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi Michelle,

I have the Maclaren global buggy and LOVE it. I was looking for EXACTLY the same features you were. I knew I only wanted to buy one stroller, and this totally has fit the bill. It is durable, yet lightweight, which I love because I have stairs I have to carry it down. It accommodates the car seat with no problem at all, and the ride is so smooth. Also, my husband and I are both tall (I'm 5'9", he's 6'3") and it is totally comfortable to push. My husband loves it. It folds up great and is not that heavy (17 lbs)...I can lift it with one hand. I've taken it on the airplane and had no problem at all.

My only complaint is TOTALLy minor: the plastic clear window for viewing yoru baby is in kind of a dumb place (sort of behind the baby rather than on top, where you can just look down and see him/her). But that's not a biggie at all. Over all, I definitely recommend this stroller! Good luck.

shamajim
02-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Hello...I am re-posting my response from January on this same topic (#1869 on the message boards) in case it helps anyone.

It's true that there haven't been a lot of postings on the Maclaren global on this site. I had been checking since Fall of 2002 for info on this model since it was one of the strollers I had been nterested in. We finally went and bought it in October (our baby was born 11-21-02 so we've been using it about 2 months now).

We have been really pleased overall. It is easy to fold and unfold. Just two quick steps to fold--you can do it with one hand and one foot. The weight is fine for me to get out of the trunk of the car and I am only 5' with a bad back (although my husband has been loading it into the car for me so I can't say whether putting it into the car is harder than getting it out). My husband was actually able to carry it up and down the steps in the subway with the baby in it. He's 5'8" and slim, so you don't have to be a big guy to carry it.

Our Grace Snug Ride fits into it without any problems (for those interested in matching to the stroller, our Graco color is Blue Grape Frost, which I think you can get online, is a pretty good match!). The seat does recline all the way back, and with the seat up, it does not seem to have the deep recline which many Mac owners say causes their child to lean back into it. Since our baby is still small, I can't say this for certain since he does not sit up.

We've been using it alot in our neighborhood--the sidewalks here are old and bumpy and terrible--and it handles quite well. It's still easy to maneuver, and the baby sleeps through the bumps so there must be some shock absorbtion. You can steer it well one handed on fairly even surfaces. The handles are very comfortable. I had tried an Inglesina Zippy before making the final decision on this stroller instead. I found just pushing the Zippy around the store hurt my hands/wrists since the handles are
not as ergonomic as the global. I have carpal tunnel so this was important to me.
The Global came with a rain cover which we've not yet used. You can buy separate carrying case and muff for winter, which we do not have.

I would definitely recommend this stroller. You can use from birth onwards, and it seems to combine the best of many stroller features. The only drawbacks I can think of are that the basket is hard to reach with seat in recline position (which it must be in for Car seat use) and there are no cupholders etc. The lack of cupholder hasn't been a problem. I just picked up a cupholder which attaches to an umbrella stroller. Hope this helps!