PDA

View Full Version : Instep Double Safari TT

khakismom
02-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Anyone know anything about the InStep Double Safari TT? Looking for some reviews or feedback on it. While searching thru these board, I have seen a few positive reviews on the single (thank you, Beth! :)), but not much mentioned about the double. I have already purchased the Peg Aria Twin for "indoor" use, but am looking for a double stroller for power-walking around neighborhood paths, going to grocery store around the corner, etc. (I do this now with my single Baby Trend jogger and it has served its purpose well.) Would the Instep Double be a good stroller for this? Also, what is the handle like--is it suitable for tall people (I am 5'11)? And I'm curious how much the stroller weighs?

Hubby would keel over if I shelled out $500+ for a MB or other high-end stroller, so those are really not an option (I found the Instep double online for $169). I doubt I will be doing any jogging with the double or hitting any rugged terrain, but I like the idea of a jogger with a swivel front wheel. Also, this jogger will live 99% of the time in my garage. I haven't found it in the stores here in town so I can't test it IRL. I need to rely on the excellent opinions that are always offered here!

Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl EDD 6/12/03

atlbaby
02-20-2003, 02:05 PM
I just heard about the Instep Double Safari and am intrigued by it too. But I thought I'd read that it isn't available yet? I also haven't been able to find a price--where did you find it for $169, that's great! Beth had pointed out that it is wider than the MB though, so it may not serve my purposes as a do-it-all stroller...

I'd love to hear feedback too! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01

khakismom
02-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Rachel, I found the online price at dynadirect.com (another great recommendation by a poster of these boards :))

gravymommy3
02-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Rachel,

I know that the MB is very expensive. I cannot speak to the quality of Instep. However, you will be looking at many years of using whatever stroller you buy. My point is that if you buy something strictly on price, you may not end up with as much use as you would have hoped or needed. My youngest is a week younger than Arielle (so I will get a lot less use of my MB than you will) and I still wanted something that would last. I, frankly, was sick of buying baby items based on price and not having them last (I am currently faced with buying three new carseats because the POS models my kids are in now are not, in my opinion, as safe as they could be.)

I stand to gain nothing if you purchase a MB; not sweat off my nose either way. I am only voicing my opinion because I am so satisfied with my buggy. The width of the stroller will have a big impact on you. It makes the difference between being able to breeze through a doorway or having to wrangle and scrape a stroller through or possibly not being able to get through at all. I don't know if the Instep has a big front wheel(s), but that can also make the difference in getting it to fit in a vehicle.

I have learned to buy the best that I can afford for items that involve long-term use and/or safety. My budget may suffer in other areas but in the end, I don't have to re-purchase and I am generally happier all the way around.

Good luck on your research.

Amy

sweetbasil
02-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Maureen (and Rachel!)~
Sorry, no help with the double, but I will add to what you've heard about the Single, if that's helpful.

We got the InStep Safari TT *Single* Stroller at Mother's Day last year, and have been able to rollerblade, walk, and jog with DS in the stroller. DH has gone running (he's the athlete around here) while carting DS around, and enjoyed it to. The draw for me was also the swivel-front wheel, which was a lot easier to maneuver when rollerblading *and* going around corners. Probably the biggest drawback to it is (and this is pretty petty) the cupholders are a little smaller than most cups/water bottles I use. Oh, and the height has been fine for us both- I'm 5'9", and DH is 5'11".

We didn't really look at many higher-priced jogging strollers, because I knew I'd probably be upgrading to a double jogging stroller within the next year or two, and as I'd never had one before, I wanted to spend a little less on my first go at it. I've liked it so much, I'm definitely going to test drive the Safari double, along with a MBUD (if I can find one!), and a few others....

I test-drove the Safari at a local bicycle shop, then found it on babyage.com and applied a coupon after doing a search on either dealcatcher.com or naughtycodes.com, and it ended up costing $130 (inc. shipping). HTH!

(Edited for content)