PDA

View Full Version : Experience/input on Tender XL vs. Duoglider for 3 yr old and 6 mth old?

Kate123
02-22-2003, 03:46 AM
I REALLY like the look of the Tender, but after testing it out today there are a few things I am concerned about. Wondering if you have worked around these issues:
1) The small basket
2) My 6 month old was kicking the back of the front seat which really bothered my 3 year old...can see it starting now?
3) The front napper bar does not remove so toddler has to climb in and potentially dirty the fabric?
4) Back bay has no view (no stadium seating)

On the other hand I really liked the 5 point harness, fabric and overall durability and feel.

Duoglider has bascially all positives where the Tender was negative, but has problems of it's own. Mainly it doesn't look as nice (to me) and when the rear seat is reclined it forms a bassinet (head raises) which would only fit a small baby (my 6 month old barely fits when reclined!). No way for my toddler to nap - cut's him off at the neck in the front seat. Back seat seems a little flimsy for infant in that there are hard metal bars they could bang on (sides) especially w/o a 5 point harness.

Any input??? The duoglider seems a tad more practical to me though with the parent cup holder, large basket, etc. (2003) model.

Thanks for any advice / experience!!
Kathy

lukkykatt
02-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a Tender, and my friend has a Duoglider, so I think I can answer most of your questions.

Regarding the Peg, the small basket was a concern for me too, but I solved it by getting a cup holder that also had a hook, from which I hung my diaper bag and any large shopping bags. The napper bar was only a problem because it made it a little more difficult for my 3 year old to climb into, so I had to hold the stroller if my infant was already in it. Once my infant was out of his carrier, the tandem seating in general became a problem and my 3 year old was reaching back trying to get to his brother, the baby was hanging over the side of the stroller trying to reach up front - you can imagine the picture.

The Duoglider is heaver and longer than the Peg, which may be a concern for you. Also, the seat backs are not as tall and I don't believe they are quite as wide, which makes it more difficult for your children to get comfy.

I was determined to get a tandem stroller because I thought the SBS's were too wide. I compared ALL of them and I thought that the Peg was the best. It worked out great until the baby was out of his carrier. I just bought a SBS, and will be selling the Tender, which I believe, is what most people end up doing. The first time I went out with the SBS, it was like a dream - the kids were entertaining each other and I could get everything done that I need to do. Maybe you could borrow a tandem stroller until you are ready for a SBS?

HTH - good luck!

Kate123
02-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your input it really helps! Actually I just bought an Aria Twin and like it so far. I think there still may be lots of occasions though where I would still like a tandem...the Aria defintely is nice but doesn't fit into a lot of stores isles when I go shopping.

Regarding the Tender (which appeals to me visually) what year do you have? I ask b/c I know there were some changes in steering, etc and wondered from a steering standpoint what you thought. Also did you have a problem with the child in the rear "kicking" the back of the front seat? That seemed to occur in my test drive. Hmmm...any other problems you encountered? I have not yet seen it folded...is that pretty compact? I think it is lighter than the Duoglider.

Thanks again!
Kathy

lukkykatt
02-25-2003, 03:56 PM
I have the 2001 Tender. The steering was not a problem for me, but I was only using it with about 50 lbs of kiddies inside. I have heard that the steering gets worse with additional weight. I did not have problems with kicking, but that probably varies from child to child - DS was more of a hang over the side of the stroller kind of kid. It folds very compactly, and it is self standing when folded. If you look on ebay there are usually pictures of the Tender folded up.

Let's see - additional problems: I don't know if this changed with later models, but there is a seam in the handle bar of my stroller that sometimes hurt my hand. Oh, also I had to wash one of the seat covers and I had to unscrew the seat belt from the frame in order to get the cushion off, and then they can only be washed by hand - I thought that was pretty inconvenient, but hopefully that is not something you have to do that often! These are more nitpicky things, but you may want to take them into consideration too.

Overall, I liked the Tender. It was the best tandem stroller I looked at. I believe it is the lightest tandem stroller, it is nice looking, it has nice hoods that really cover both children, and the seats are pretty comfy and roomy. I just found that once DS got out of his carrier, the tandem seating was problematic. The children tend to be less happy and you can't see the front child. Everyone I knew who already had kids told me not to get one, but I just didn't listen... and now I have a SBS!

wdland45
02-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Thought I'd throw in my two cents about the Tender/Duo Glider debate. It seems to me (and it sounds like a lot of people on the board agree) that for the most part, these tandem strollers seem to wear out their usefulness and appeal within the first 9-12 months. They are heavy, and begin to get harder to steer as they kids get bigger. Then we go out and start looking for side by sides. If you can get a Tender for a good price, then I'd go for it. But buying a new Tender can cost you $300+ easy. IMO, I'd rather get a cheaper tandem, like a Duo Glider, and save the money to invest in a really good SBS later when the kids are bigger and the tandem just won't cut it anymore. Just a thought...
Danielle