PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Evenflo's Cross Country carrier?

juliasdad
02-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Evenflo has a (new?) backpack-type frame carrier called the Cross Country. I'm tempted to order one, as I'd like to have a back carrier for casual use and don't want to get into the more expensive hiking setups. Just wanted to know if anyone has actually tried this one in person.

Thanks,

-dan

Tondi G
02-25-2003, 02:15 PM
I haven't tried this on but we got a hand me down really light aluminum frame Evenflo backpack and for the times when we aren't using it ALL day, it is great! We took it to Disneyland for those times that DS wanted to be carried or up high to see things and we just hung it off our Pliko handles! It was very convenient! Just be sure the frame is aluminum and not plastic!

~Tondi

MamaKath
02-25-2003, 09:14 PM
We have an Evenflo with a plastic frame and it is awesome! very comfortable! Not real expensive, and well worth it. Go see if you can try one at a store. BuyBuyBaby has a bunch, and knowledgable staff around to help you figure out adjusting it, etc.

juliasdad
02-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks, all.

I was interested about the new Cross Country model because it's inexpensive, looks nice, and on paper sounds pretty good.

So, I took a spin down to the local BrU and they've gotten some in stock. And I'm glad I tried them in person. They fit me horribly. They claim to have an adjustable hip band to account for different body lengths, but in truth the range of adjustment is on the order of an inch or less. Padding was minimal and badly placed for me.

I tried Evenflo's Trailblazer (the one with the plastic frame) and was infinitely more impressed. It's a bit more money, but it's not expensive and seems to be much better designed. And the range (and ease) of adjustability on it is tremendous, so DW and I should both be able to use it easily. I think I'm ordering one!

-dan

MinnieMouse
02-26-2003, 03:25 PM
You really can find the "better" backpack carriers for not all that much more $$$ if you shop around. We picked up a Kelty Back Country...which is fairly high up in their line for only $130 on sale at Eastern Mountain Sports last September. It retails for close to $200 generally selling for about $180 or so.

Even less expensive than the Keltys are the private label ones at REI. They are fairly comprable to the Keltys and REI generally carries both lines.

I wholeheartedly recommend trying them on before buying. Both with and without your child in them. It made all the difference in the world when we were choosing which one to purchase.

FWIW, we LOVE our Kelty...it was worth every penny we spent on it. We looked at the lesser quality ones in BRU and found all of them uncomfortable.

HTH

Christine