PDA

View Full Version : Zippy, Chicco 2002, Chicco Trekking for a 27lb Toddler?

hardysmom
02-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Looking for a mid-sized stroller for travel, longer trips around town, etc...

I really want GOOD 1 handed steering (I'm not a big Pliko fan, sorry ;)), decent indoor/outdoor wheels, and fairly compact fold to fit in a rental car trunk. Something very flexible.

I think I have narrowed it down to a Zippy, Chicco 2002, or Chicco Trekking.

DS is 27 lbs at 15mo. I am a little concerned about the 33lb weight limit on the Chiccos-- even though several people say they have used with heavier kids, I emailed Chicco and they repsponded that the weight limit was determined by the "testing lab" and they stand behind it. For the price; however, they are still in the running.

Zippys look great, but I have not heard much about their use with toddlers. Most people seem to buy them for newborns. How does the steering and general quality hold up after the baby gets bigger? Can you still turn with 1 hand, or is it more difficult? Is the seat roomy enough as baby grows?

Thanks-- I appreciate all advice. Stephanie

VickiH
02-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I love my Chicco 2002. I too am concerned about the weight limit (DS is already 18.5 lbs at 4 mos!). It does seem very sturdy, at least as sturdy as a Pliko, and will probably use it until at least 35 lbs. Strollerqueen loves hers and said she has had both of her kids in it at once, and it still steered like a dream.

HTH

febmom
02-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi Stephanie,

DS is 12 months and is about 27 lbs. I've had the Zippy for about 3 months now and I can still turn/steer the stroller with one-hand. The seat is not very roomy though. If ds is wearing a thick jacket, he looks pretty squished in it. The quality of the stroller is great. I highly recommend it.

I have never seen a Chicco 2002, but from reading all the posts, I think the steering is much better than the Zippy.

Annie

Momof3Labs
02-25-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a Chicco 2002 and have tried a Zippy, and I think that the steering on the Chicco is MUCH better than the Zippy. There is a Chicco 2002 on eBay right now for well under $100 - might be worth checking out!

strollerqueen
02-26-2003, 06:01 AM
I agree. The steering on the Chicco 2002 is much better. What happened to your thoughts on the Toni?

hardysmom
02-26-2003, 01:58 PM
I have enough questions that I am just chicken to go first.

Hardy will still nap in a stroller (although those days are numbered) but he likes recline. The seat of the Toni doesn't recline at all, it just rocks back. Not a huge issue if it is an otherwise great stroller.

My biggest concern is that since Teutonias seem to have fairly narrow seats (Swing and PiXXel are about 12.5 in) the Toni may be even smaller which would squish my mondo-baby. Teh raised armrests on some models make it more pronounced. I would like to get a measuremennt of seat width/depth before ordering given Hardys size/age (27lbs/15mo).

The wheels look pretty small for much outdoor use. But again, who knows? If the stroller actually weighs 26 lbs, as listed on the Teutonia site, that is awfully heavy for an indoor-only stroller. My guess is that that weight includes the boot which looks like it could be fairly heavy.

No one knows about the steering, though it should be great.

Plus, since we hope to have more kids I would like something which would work with a board-- the few glimpses of the Toni's rear are inconclusive, at best.

Finally, I would like to have something in my hands by March 12 to take to Florida for a wedding... Though Teutonia says they have been shipped, I haven't heard from anyone who has actually seen one in a store.

I am going to call Heritage Baby on Thursday afternoon, by which time they should have received the Swing. They have been so fantastic about this that I would prefer to keep my money with them. Actually, one of the reasons I am considering a Zippy is b/c I thought they could order one even if they don't usually stock it. I will talk to them about the Toni and would LOVE it if they could address my concerns. I have not ruled it out and will keep my options open until I have the chance to talk to Jamie.

Have you seen one or heard anything?

Stephanie

blnony
02-26-2003, 02:38 PM
I emailed with HB last week about the teutonias, and the toni in particular. The seat dimensions do look to be pretty skinny - translating over to about 11 1/2 inches. If you check Teutonia.com and go to news , there is a big story on the Toni, also the site has all the dimensions. HB said they weren't expecting the Toni until "Aprilish". I'm not sure what that means, early or late etc.
I took a leap of faith and ordered one from babyspecialtyshop.com; they estimate about 4 weeks for delivery. I just have to see what the stroller is all about.:)