PDA

View Full Version : Twins Stroller Quandry

jjno_dad
02-26-2003, 08:29 AM
We are 34 weeks pregnant with twins, have a two-year-old, and have been on bed rest for 5 weeks. Alas, all of the last minute decisions and running around fall on me. I have been reading this message board lately and it appears that I would be foolish to consider any stroller other than MBUD. I have some concerns.

I do not feel comfortable buying something without taking it for a test ride. I am concerned about weight. My wife is very petite and must have a very light weight, easy to maneuver stroller. In fact, anything with a carrier is out because she struggles to lift the carrier out of the stroller and into the car (without the child in it). For our 2 year old we had the combi ultra savvy, but she spent all of her time in a bjorn on my chest, then into a kelty backpack. With twins my wife will be taking more time off and need the ability take the babies with her. I am looking at the combi twin savvy and the peg aria. Nothing is really maling me that happy.

Please help.

stella
02-26-2003, 05:00 PM
HI - I just got the MDUD and LOVE it. It's not all that lightweight, though - 32 lbs. But I can do it and I'm neither very big nor strong.

I have a 20 month old and 3 month old and the sad truth is this:

I almost never take them both anywhere by myself. Once (in 3 months) to Target and once to an art exhibit. Both trips were short and arose from a desparate need to leave the house for a while. I transport them both to places like church and mother's day out where they are "deposited" once I get there, so I don't really need the stroller.

I did take the MB with me to th eexhibit and had no trouble lifting it in and out of the car.

But mostly I will use it as a neighborhood stroller.

For malls, target, grocery store (God forbid), I would want something a little lighter - like the peg aria.

But the MB is a great stroller - quality and maneuverability-wise. I think it's worth the investment. If weight really is an issue for her, though, and you plan to use it as a car stroller - as in drive, park and unload the stroller to use indoors, I would consider one of the two you just mentioned.

Good Luck!

TrinaCliff
02-26-2003, 07:25 PM
One neat thing about the Combi is that it has a neat little piece of fabric that folds up over the bumper bar to make a little bassinette for the babies. I loved this when my baby was little. The only negative I see to the Combi is that larger toddlers don't really seem to fit very well. It's not bad, just bad for a mom who is big on plushness and roominess...LOL!

If you want lightweight and convenient, the Combi would be a good choice!

Good luck!
Kristen

lukkykatt
02-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Have you checked to see if there is a MB dealer near you? Maybe you could hold off on your purchase until after your wife has the babies. Then she could see it herself and make sure she would be able to lift it in and out of the car.

I am petite and also was worried about the weight of the MBUD. When I went to the store, I made sure that I could put it in and out of the car, which I can do with no trouble! The stroller folds pretty flat, so if you have a wagon or mini van, you can just slide it right out. I am so glad that I checked it out, and love this stroller!

Good luck with your babies!

twins r fun
02-26-2003, 11:12 PM
I have 16 month old twins and I now have a MBUD. We got it just before they turned one year because the SBS we had just kept getting harder to steer as my boys got heavier. By the time they were about 9 months I could hardly turn it and kept getting stuck in doors because the wheels wouldn't stay straight. If I had known about the MB and understood the importance of quality in a twin stroller I would have gotten it from the very beginning. I am also petite and normally have no upper body strength (though having twins has done wonders for my biceps). I was worried about the weight, but find that you get the stroller in and out of the car with a flipping action so are never really lifting the stroller. It is a little cumbersome and I might be bothered by that fact if I wasn't so appreciative of all the other features if the MBUD. I totally understand the need to test drive though and probably wouldn't have bought mine if I hadn't had a dealer close by. The Aria was my second choice. I have two singles and thought they were wonderful until I got my MB-now every time I use them I keep checking to see if the brake is on because in comparison they are really hard to push and to turn.

Nicole

schums
02-28-2003, 01:06 PM
I don't have twins, but I am in the market for a double stroller, as I will have a 17 month old and a newborn. I've tried the twin savvy and the aria with my son (now 11 months old) and quite frankly, he doesn't fit!! Unless you are fairly sure that you're going to have babies/children on the smaller side of "normal", I'd be hesitant to purchase either of these strollers.

Just my 2 cents!

Sarah