PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo vs. MB Urban vs. Mac Techno XT

cpike
02-26-2003, 06:41 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child in May, and are going thru hell to find a stroller. We are hoping to end up with only one to use from birth to 3+ yrs.

We want something reasonable heavy duty and compact, but not weighing 35+ lbs. We will be travelling somewhat frequently, and when we do, it's often with a 60lb Chocolate Lab who will have to share the trunk area of our Volvo V70 wagon with the stroller, etc.

The Techno doesn't seem as 'rugged' as the others, but is a heck of a lot less $$. We are also unsure if the seat actually reclines enough for a newborn.

The Bugaboo seems to offer the best mix of functionality and weight, but at a significant price premium.

The MB Urban has a lot of positive feedback, but I don't know the size when folded down, and by the time you add the carrycot and a couple other accessories, it's almost as much $$ as the Bugaboo.

I tried the Bertini M5 and the Bebecar Raider AT this week, but they are huge, even when folded down.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone with experience with these, or any other models that you could suggest I look into.

Thanks in Advance,

Chris

egoldber
02-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Is your dog loose in the back of the wagon or in a crate? If you use a crate, take your car with the crate in it to a baby store and try various strollers in the back at the store to see what fits. Even if they don't have the exact strollers you want, you will probably get a feel for the types of strollers and what types of folds work in your car.

If your dog is loose in the back, you will definitely want to get a bag for your stroller. Dog hair can get REALLY embedded in stroller seat covers...

For travel, will you want the luggage in the back with the dog and the gear or on a roof rack? It is going to be really hard to get a dog, a stroller and luggage in the back of wagon. It can probably be done, but it would be a small stroller.

We wanted to be able to carry a baby, a medium size stroller, a dog crate, a PackNPlay and luggage for frequent cross country trips and we ended up getting a minivan. :)

HTH,

cpike
02-26-2003, 07:08 PM
We actually have the Cargo Barrier system which divides the trunk space down the middle. Got to keep the dog off the stroller and out of the back seat!

We will be getting a roof rack to haul around all the other 'stuff', and I do want to get a bag for the stroller (it will be on the plane a number of times in the next year).

Please tell me there is a stroller out there that will meet my needs and keep me out of a minivan!!! ;)

Chris

marinkitty
02-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi there! We got the Bugaboo and although we don't yet have a baby to put in it (still 2 weeks from the due date), I think it would meet your needs quite well. I also looked at the MBs and was tempted by them, but thought that the Bugaboo would be a better all-around stroller because of the amazing steering. I also wanted both the bassinet and the toddler seat and agree with you that the Bugaboo isn't that much more than the MB once you load it all up. (I should probably also disclose that I did buy an Emma EC Sport off e-bay for $139 so that I have a more traditional all-terrain stroller, and I'm planning to use that once the baby is a bit bigger on the paths and bumpier sidewalks around our house and for the beach - though the Bugaboo can do the beach in the two-wheel mode as well.)

Anyway, I've put the Bugaboo in and and out of our car (we have an SUV) a number of times. The two part break-down, which a lot of people seem to dislike, doesn't bother me at all. The seat pops off in about two seconds flat and the chassis folds really quickly and effortlessly. I like that each of the two pieces is so light on its own - makes the stroller seem like less than its 17 pounds. I also really think I'm going to like the reversible handle so that you can switch the way baby is facing as well as switching from indoor to outdoor mode quickly.

Just my two cents - there are obviously a huge number of MB devotees out there that can sing their praises, and they are probably better off-road than the Bugaboo since they have all air-filled wheels as opposed to just two, it just depends what is more important to you. I really fell in love with the Bugaboo's versatility and I also liked the look of a four wheel stroller better than a three wheeler.

Good luck with your decision!

Holly
Due with #1 3/12/03.

hipmaman
02-26-2003, 11:31 PM
I would say the Bugaboo is not the greatest idea for travelling, unless you buy the travel bag. With it folded into 2 pieces, there is the potential of loss, cumbersome, etc. for plane travel. Don't forget you have to bring the carseat (from infancy to beyond the booster seat stage), other baby gear, the luggage, etc. I say it's not the best idea. But with the travel bag, it is totally doable. But that is adding more money.

The MBs are compact enough to fit in all kind of cars. And the MBs are reclined enough for newborn without having to buy the carrying cot. The carrying cot is short-lived too and it is on the small side, imo.

But for you, there is the dog crate on one side, then most strollers which retains its length when folded down might not fit in your Volvo. Umbrella-strollers and most joggers might not do it for you. Although, the MB will probably fit.

You might have to find a stroller that fold down with the length shortened to fit in the half-trunk. What are the measurements of the stroller space? That will give us an idea of how much space you have for a stroller and which stroller when folded would fit in it.

Until I know of the measurement of stroller-space, it's hard to make proper suggestions. And then, I have to think of which strollers would fit your requirements and compact (short) enough for your Volvo. Not easy, lol.

cpike
02-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback so far...I'm glad the car seat was a much easier decision! (Britax Marathon)

The trunk space would be 41" in length, and approx 21.5" in width.

If necessary, the stroller could go in the Roof-top box which is 92" long, 27" wide, but only 15" high.

Regardless of which stroller I buy, I will get a travel bag with it.

Chris

Rachels
02-27-2003, 10:24 AM
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but just wanted to warn you that it's REALLY unlikely that one stroller will meet all your needs for the next three years. If you find yourself needing another down the road, it's not that you did poor research. I find that different tasks call for different strollers-- much to DH's dismay. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

hardysmom
02-27-2003, 04:47 PM
To add to your confusion-- beware of using stroller travel bags on airlines if you plan to gate check!

I have flown many times with my Teutonia and my PP Milano (both pretty nice strollers) but the only time I ever had trouble was when I tried to put the Teutonia in a travel bag. At the end of the flight, when you would normally get your stroller back, we found that it had been taken to baggage claim (and this was not out final destination!)

Anyway, I have been told by 3 different airlines and several parents who have had similar experiences, that the travel bags are OK for checking a stroller with your luggagge, but not if you plan to gate check & use the stroller w/i the airport. Flight crews just are not very familiar with them. If it looks like a stroller it comes back up to the gate, if it looks like a "duffle" (even if it is tagged for the gate) chances are it will go with the luggage.

I would be concerned flying with a Bugaboo because (like my Teutonia) you would need to break it down into 2 pieces. Since (as with the travel bag issue) it no longer "looks like a stroller" the chances of it getting misplaced are increased. A Mac or MB would fly much easier.

Of the 3 strollers you list-- which are all very different-- the MB is probably the most flexible. It can do city/countryside/suburban very well. Of course, the Bugaboo is very sexy. For a strictly urban environment (like NYC), it would be tough to beat a Mac Techno.

HTH-- Stephanie

LisaS
02-27-2003, 06:31 PM
First of all, I agree that it will be highly unlikely that you will only have 1 stroller for 3 years - but very impressive if you are able to! Everyone I know with either a Bugaboo or an MB has a 2nd lightweight stroller for quick errands/travel.

Second, as far as flying with a 2 piece stroller, while the baby fits in the infant seat you can use the Bugaboo with the infant car seat as a snap-n-go (if you get the car seat adaptor kit for graco snugrides, which are due out by May), so you will just have to gate check the frame. You can luggage check the seat/carrycot piece in its bag and you will not have a problem. The stroller frame should come to you with the other strollers.

I wouldn't NOT get a stroller based on potential inconveniences of flying with it - depending on how often you travel, there are lots of different options. And when the baby outgrows the infant seat, you may decide to get a sit-n-stroll for plane travel and always luggage check the stroller. I prefer luggage checking my stroller in its bag - it comes out at the same time as DHs golf clubs. Also it really depends on where you travel - when I travel internationally (which is often) I NEVER get my stroller coming off the plane when I gate check it - always have to wait for baggage claim. But, within the US, you will get it.

As far as your 3 options, I think that Bugaboo is the best - I have test driven several Bugaboos, Mountain Buggies and I own a Mac Techno. I think the Techno is good, but in a different league than the other 2 - its really not ideal for a newborn. Either the MB or the Frog are much better, esp w/the carrycot - while its not a NECESSITY, its definitely a very nice thing to have and while you're already making the investment, it would be good to get the complete package. As far as carry cot sizes - the MB does seem small...the Bugaboo carrycot is a bit larger/at least longer, IMO - I haven't gotten out a tape measure, but the MB carrycot just seemed very compact to me. Also, for storage purposes, the Bugaboo carrycot is just a piece of fabric that interchanges with the seat unit - so its not as big to store.

The Bugaboo also has the advantage over the MB of a seat that sits fully upright and it does have a front bar which some babies and mommies seem to really prefer. The MB does not offer this option.

I think you may eventually, when your baby is a bit older want a lightweight umbrella stroller for errands - and that is where the Mac would be a good idea (you probably wouldn't need a Techno - a Volo or Quest or Triumph would probably work fine depending on your needs).

Good luck w/your decision.

cimberdog
02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Just to throw something else out there...Have you considered the Inglesina Zippy? Like the others have said, one stroller will probably not meet all your needs. We have a huge Century stroller with a parent tray and big basket for the really big mall trips (lots of packages), the Zippy for all around use (which is perfect, and light, and compact and I would travel thru airports with this one but not the other two I own) and then finally a Zooper Zoop-Air for outdoors and some mall shopping.

The Zippy is on the same lines as a high end umbrella but with more features and comfort.

For the record, I really wanted the Bugaboo Frog too, but it was just tooe xpensive for one stroller. For that money, I now have 3 strollers that meet all our needs and have satisfied my stroller addiction.

cpike
03-01-2003, 04:48 PM
I haven't thought of the Zippy....

The specs on their website are pretty much useless regarding size, weight, etc., so if you have any of that information or know where I could get it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Chris

egoldber
03-01-2003, 05:32 PM
This site has Zippy specs. http://www.strollerworld.com/Inglesina03/Zippy/zippy.html

But the Zippy is about the same size and weight as a Peg Perego Pliko. It also folds in a similar umbrella style, so you may have a problem with the lengthwise fold.

HTH,

hipmaman
03-02-2003, 01:13 AM
I looked at my friend's Volvo wagon trunk and not sure if the half-trunk would fit any stroller (she doesn't have kids). I think the best is for you to go to the store and try them out in the trunk.

Do you happen to travel to Europe before the baby is born? If so, there might be other posibilities if buying from Europe.

Again, you might need to get a different stroller later one since your and baby's needs and lifestyle might change as time goes by.