PDA

View Full Version : Mac Techno XT vs. Ingelsina Zippy?

cimberdog
02-28-2003, 09:56 AM
I have the Ingelsina Zippy (2002) model that I love. Except for one thing - the height. I am wondering if I should have purchased (or if I should purchase) the Mac Techo XT with adjustable handles and sell the Zippy? I love my Zippy and did order handlebar extensions for it but I am thinking I may be missing something with the Mac. Any opinions?

hardysmom
02-28-2003, 11:50 AM
OK-- you answered my question and I'll take a stab at this... I have a Mac Vogue (which we have used from 5mo to 15mo) and have just ordered a Zippy. A disclaimer is that although I have pushed a Zippy around w/o a baby (and I am not very tall) I haven't been out-and-about with one.

The good things about Macs are that they are fantastic to push, the steering is second to none, the wheel base is tight so there is an amazing turning radius, they are light and compact, extremely durable, and fold pretty easy. The handles are also very high and well suited for tall parents.

The downside is that all kids are not very comfortable in the sloped seat which leans the child back in such a way that they can't sit forward at all. Not every kid minds, but if your child is used to pulling up to a napper bar, it can be a problem. Also, in my opinion, the recline in Macs (even those that say they have "full recline") is pretty worthless. For a baby who can't sit up, it might be better that nothing, but it isn't like the flat recline of your Zippy. My son has NEVER fallen asleep in his Vogue.

I have heard that the '03 Macs have less slope, but haven't really checked them out.

Some people feel that the Mac is tippy. I have never had this problem.

Finally, I believe I read in the Zippy thread that your child is only 9 weeks old. Even though Maclaren says some of their strollers are suitable from birth, unless they have made some pretty major changes (which they might have done?), I realy don't think they are good for a small baby. I started yusing my Vogue, which was billed as having full-recline, at 4-5 months and even that was pushing it. DS looked pretty awkward and slumped.

You might really like a Mac and, despite everything I have just said, I LOVE mine. It is a true workhorse. Very quick and easy for errands. Steers with one hand very easily even with my 27 lb chunky toddler. I just don't like it for longer journeys b/c my son gets very fussy in it is I stop pushing. If I were in your position with a young baby, I would keep the Zippy at least until 6 mo or so and then make a decision.

Also, is the Zippy your only stroller? If so, I personally wouldn't trade it for a Mac. As fantastic as Macs are for runnning around, a Zippy would be a better all-day stroller.

Stephanie

cimberdog
02-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, my son is only 9 weeks old and he has been able to sleep in the Zippy each time we've used it, although it has only been a handful of times.

It's interesting to hear something other than raves about the Mac. I think every stroller has its drawbacks but I hadn't heard that some people thought they were tippy, nor had I heard about the seat angle. That is good to know. I looked at their website and saw the boot that you can buy and I like the one that came with the Zippy much better, as well as the built in rain shield.

I will say that the Zippy is also fantastic to push, and it swivels on a dime so steering is a dream with it. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Now that I can get handle extensions, I think I am satisfied that I made the right choice!

Hope you enjoy your Zippy!

Oh and no it is not my only stroller. I have a Century stroller that is identical to the Graco Metrolite, and also a Zooper Zoop-Air which has a carrycot and turns it into a pram style outdoor stroller with the air tires:)