PDA

View Full Version : For those with multiple strollers....

JustMare
02-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Can you explain in what circumstances do you use each of your strollers? Lightweight, Medium weight, Heavyweight???

For those of us who are not using strollers just yet, it's hard to figure out.

I personally, am torn between a Zippy/Pliko type and a lightweight Maclaren. Do I really want/need both?

Thanks for helping us beginners out!

momathome
03-01-2003, 12:02 AM
I have a Peg Pliko Sherpa Bubble and a Mac Vogue and I honestly love both of them for different reasons. I use the pliko for long outings to the mall and the zoo, along with when my dd is sleeping (she sleeps extremely well - as in 2+ hour-long naps - in the pliko.) It's also great for my older dd to stand on the back of on the little footboard - she loves this! While I personally think that the pliko is the best overall stroller around for the price, my Mac Vogue has proven to be invaluable to me, too. For quick outtings and travel, nothing beats the Mac. It turns on a dime, has a great harness, love the pocket on the hood, when through airport security with ease, and still comfortably fits my 5 year-old dd when she's having a long day. 2 year-old dd likes it, too. If there is a way you can swing getting both, go for it. I honestly couldn't part with either one of mine. I had gotten my pliko on clearance for $180 and my vogue on clearance for $105. Good luck!
-Lauren

blnony
03-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Mac Techno - I love this stroller. Its my lightweight, umbrella, errand, when I'm too lazy for a big stroller, stroller.
Venezia - I just sold - but was my plush all day, full recline stroller. Now its just been replaced by a Zippy.
So far I like my Zippy a lot, much better than the Pliko I tried in the store. I think the Zippy steering is much better than the Pliko, but there are still differences.
Stroller 3 - Bebecar Style AT+ - I love this stroller too. Its my outdoor, all terrain, reversible seat, walking and park stroller.
And finally, I'm awaiting my Teutonia Toni. I don't really have a reason for this stroller, I just couldn't resist trying it out.
I really think you need at least two strollers. A lightweight errand stroller and an all day plush comfy stroller. Depending on budget and need, an all-terrain, but I don't think its necessary.
Oh, and I forgot, I also have a Graco Metrolite that was a baby gift - I don't use it, but I keep it at my Mom's house for her to use.
(terrible steering and awful recline)But for limited use it isn't bad.

I may have made you decision harder, I'm sorry. But I just have to add, the open/close on the Zippy is a modern wonder!!:)

hardysmom
03-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Well, lets see..

I started out 15 mo ago with a Peg Milano and a dream....

I loved my Milano and wouldn't have traded that reversible handle for anything in the world. Not for decent steering. Not for the ability to roll over bumps in the road. Not even if I could put my stroller AND something else in the trunk. Short of a "real" pram, I think the Venezias/Milanos can't be beat for little babies. I will use it again with #2. Eventually, as I gained confidence taking the baby out-and-about, my Big Stroller started to seem like, well, a BIG STROLLER.

So here is the current line up--

Mac Vogue 2000 (they used to be a little smaller) purchased around 5 mo. It lives in the back of my car and is my workhorse. It goes in and out of the car all day long. Hardy isn't particularly comfortable in it, but he is rarely in it long enough to get too fussy.

Teutonia Y2K-- around 10 months DS's weight was making the Milano tough to push on the crummy old streets in my neighborhood. I was about to get a Mountain Buggy, but I rebelled. Glad I did. I have taken it to my in-laws ranch and on some hikes you wouldn't believe a stroller could handle. It is super! I use it for everything outdoors such as walks, zoo, festivals, etc...

Emmaljunga Husky- My Grandma's house stroller. Grandma lives on a horse farm about 1.5 hours from me. That way, I can just take my Vogue when I visit for going into town.

Inglesina Zippy- For travel and to replace the Milano for longer around-town trips. Since DS doesn't like the Mac's sloped seat I have been using the Milano and the Y2K for travel/all day outings. I am waiting for it to arrive, so we'll see if it actually replaces the Mac in my trunk. I doubt it will, though it could.

Do you need a Pliko/Zippy and a lightweight? I don't think you do. If I had purchased the Zippy BEFORE I got my Mac, I probably wouldn't have missed it. However, since I have been ruined by my Mac's steering, it would be hard to give up. Also, if DS wasn’t so uncomfortable in the Vogue, I wouldn't have needed the Zippy. Most people (who aren't compulsive, lol) do very well with 2-3 strollers- a mall-crawler/infant friendly stroller, a light or mid-weight for quick errands, and (if you are a big walker) a jogging/all terrain stroller.

Stephanie

Melanie
03-01-2003, 05:24 AM
>Can you explain in what circumstances do you use each of
>your strollers? Lightweight, Medium weight, Heavyweight???
>
>For those of us who are not using strollers just yet, it's
>hard to figure out.
>

I had a huge Graco Coachrider b/c I wanted a reversible handle for walks an in my pregnant brain I somehow thought a reversible seat was just as good. It's lovely, it's huge, it's heavy, it doesn't belong in a car. I used it for walks around our neighborhood until I got my Combi Convenience.

Next I bought my Evenflo Featherlite which I adore. It stays in the car and used to be used quite often before Ds walked & during cold/flu season (carts just look like germ haven to me). My one complaint is that the seat doesn't recline enough and they had room to allow for a greater incline so I don't know why it doesn't. Ds can't really nap in it very well, he looks all slumpy. I think the fact that they put zippers on the sides of the basket is ingenious and all strollers, especially the Graco-can't-get-to-the-basket-when-using-an-infant-carrier ones! I also love the way it folds UP to you and not down to the ground (like my graco). It will also stand upright on it's wheels, leaning on something. My graco won't do that well either. I wanted my friend to register for this but the BRU in a snobsville said they no longer carried it, but they didn't think it was discontinued. I bought it for $60 I think.

After that came the Combi Convenience. I wanted a stroller with more of a recline and fuller canopy for a car-trip-getaway we were taking, but not the huge stroller to take up the entire trunk b/c we needed space for all those other baby-travel-must-haves (0h, and our stuff, too!). It has a nice basket, nice cushioning, nice canopy (except I don't like that little flap over the mesh area b/c it won't stay open). It's not too heavy, but not as light as my featherlite. We now use this for walks in the neighborhood. I hope to use it with it's adaptor bar and my Graco car seat (or a new one) for baby #2 - someday.

Just ordered a Chicco London. I now have a toddler who likes to walk, so I am hoping it will suffice for an umbrella with a little more features and give us more space in the back of my car. Dh test drove the Chicco Caddy and it was way to short-handled for him. We didn't get to test drive the London, so I'm just hoping. So far the only stroller he doesn't kick the back of when walking normally is the big Graco.

Mommy to Jonah

Calmegja
03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
I have 5 strollers that I use (and others that have been shown the door)

I use my MBUD when I need a double for a longer trip, and for exercising, when I have two kids with me. I use it indoors or outdoors, and I really think it's a dual duty stroller, albeit bulky in the trunk.

I use my Pliko for quick in and outs when I need a double (using the footboard). It stays in my car.

I use may Mac Vogue for a single umbrella when I want small, and I only have one baby with me, or one kid, and slinging the other. The steering cannot be beat, nor its sleekness.

I use my Zooper Buddy for exercise and long walks with just the baby, or when the older kids are going to ride their bikes...

And finally, I use my Atlantico because I love it. It's beautiful, plush, comfy for kids, has cupholders, and is adorable.....

Jessica

egoldber
03-01-2003, 11:48 AM
I started with a Peg Perego Venezia because it worked with my Graco Snugride infant seat. I really thought that would be my only stroller. And I did like it, until the day came I had to fly through an airport by myself with DD. Ick! This is a great stroller for an infant, not so great when they get older.

I got a Maclaren Mistral (similar to the Quest) on clearance. I LOVE that stroller. It weights 12 pounds and is the one that is always in my car. I use it more than any of my other strollers.

I was really frustrated with the Venezia, and then I stumbled on a Chicco 2002 that I had read so many great things about. So I picked one up on clearance at BRU. I love it. It is plush enough for all day, super easy to fold, DD is VERY comfortable in it. This is now my travel stroller and multi-purpose plush stroller.

My neighborhood has really bumpy sidewalks and there is a gravel trail neraby that I like to walk on, so I got an Instep Safari as an all-terrain stroller. We use this also at outdoor events like art fairs, the farmer's market, etc.

I still use the Venezia occasionally, mainly in the mall. I got a snack tray for it (the 2001 models did not come with this) so it is nice on those days when I am power shopping and don;t have time to stop and feed DD a snack elsewhere. But I get really frustrated with the harness (which has been improved since 2001), the fact that this stroller catches on EVERY little bump in the sidewalk, and is bulky to maneuver through store racks.

By contrast, my mommy friend has ONLY a Pliko Sherpa Bubble and adores it. She is tempted occasionally by a lighter stroller but doesn't feel that much of a need. She also only travels occasionally and is VERY strong, so she doesn't have any trouble steering the Pliko one-handed.

HTH,