PDA

View Full Version : Recall of Chicco London stroller???

VA Mom of 1
03-03-2003, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know anything about a recall? I bought one several weeks ago & love it, so I went back to BRU to buy a 2nd one for my mom to have. They have been pulled from the shelves and the manager said they "may" be recalled. Of course, the Chicco website (which sucks!) has no info, nor does any other site that lists recalls, including the Consumer Product Safety Commission website. Anyone have any info on this??

Thanks,
Kathy, Mom of Johnny 7/7/02

mollyi
03-03-2003, 01:26 PM
I went to BRU yesterday, and there were no London's on diplay or on the shelves. (Though the tickets describing the stroller were still there). Noone had a clue where they all went - they best answer they could come up with is that they had sold them all and that someone had stolen the display models!! (I haven't found the folks at our local BRU to be all that knowledgeable, needless to say). The strollers being recalled sounds like a more logical explanation. Maybe it is due to the canopy clamps breaking - several people mentioned that in their reviews on babiesrus.com.

Molly (mom to Andy 2/8/02)

egoldber
03-03-2003, 02:53 PM
I read on the stroller board that these are bing recalled because of the canopy. And this recall may not be on the CPSC website if it is not a safety related recall. I would e-mail Chicco for info. I have gotten very quick responses from them in the past.

HTH,

parkersmama
03-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Oh, good grief. I just ordered one of these from the BRU website last week with all of those coupons! Luckily I don't really need it for a while but I've been wondering what was going on!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

VA Mom of 1
03-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just e-mailed Chicco and will wait for a response. That's a bummer if they were recalled...they're such great strollers.

-Kathy, Mom of Johnny 7/7/02

parkersmama
03-03-2003, 09:41 PM
I just looked at the Amazon website again and it says that my London shipped on Friday. I guess they either got it out before the recall or weren't too concerned about it!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000

VA Mom of 1
03-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Good news...the London has not been recalled. I just got a reply back from Chicco and this is what they said:

"The London Stroller was NOT recalled. BRU is telling everyone it was because there was a little problem with the canopy clips breaking off when the canopy was installed. Our engineers are aware of this and repaired the problem with the canopies. We received new canopies for the stroller and we are willing to replace any canopy that breaks while being installed due to failure. The London stroller passed all the tests allowing it to be marketed here in the states."

So, don't worry about your London. I personally haven't installed the canopy yet, but I guess I should do so to see if it breaks.

-Kathy, Mom of Johnny (7/7/02)

Thatchermom
03-04-2003, 02:45 PM
I got the same message this morning. I have had no problem with my canopy clips, even after installing it wrong the first time, taking it back off, and then installing it again. They are VERY tight and stiff, but I never thought they would break. Otherwise, it has been a great stroller for what we use it for.

egoldber
03-04-2003, 03:40 PM
LOL!!! That's what manufacturers call a "product withdrawal" because they don't want to call it a "recall" because that implies a safety issue to most consumers.

Melanie
03-04-2003, 06:57 PM
I just got mine yesterday and after reading all the reviews about the canopy problem on the BRU website I was trying to be conscious of the problem. I still can't figure out which part they all had a problem with? Was it the clips to extend the canopy or those to put it onto the frame? Either way, I don't have a problem...

I haven't used it outside to review it yet...but for a preview:

For handle-height/stride for tall people, Dh said quote: "no worse than our others." ;) We tried the Chicco Caddy & one of the Plikos last time in BRU and he said they were horrible.

Fabric seems to be a type of canvas

Seat does extend up for short legs
image1ex.villagephotos.com/1743480.jpg

This is our first umbrella-type of stroller, but what struck me is that our 16 mo old seems to fill it! He still swims in our other strollers. He's only got a few inches until his head is at the top...? image1ex.villagephotos.com/1743479.jpg

Rain shield - okay, never had one of these before. Wouldn't it be stuffy under that for a child?

It folds fairly compactly, not as much as a cheapo-umbrella, but it also has a basket, hood, and recline that those done.

I like that I could adjust the hood down, if need be, to keep the sun out of Ds' eyes.

Recline - there are five, it doesn't go flat, but goes down more than my featherlight.

5-point harness, NOW I finally see what these are for. Ds is used to sitting upright in our regular strollers so he was leaning really far forward in this when I only had the 3-point part hooked up.

Mommy to Jonah

rose2boys
03-04-2003, 11:41 PM
So, does this mean BRU will be restocking this stroller? I was considering buying one in the near future, but BRU website said they were out of stock or discontinued.

rose2 boys

parkersmama
03-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I got mine, too. I got it out of the box last night and we really liked it!

I let my 3yo (large for his age) take a test ride in it. Here are my observations (I agree with Melanie's reviews, too):

1. Handle height: this was great! I am 5'4" and dh is 6' and we both felt very comfy with the handle height. It was the best of the strollers we've had as far as dh was concerned.

2. Steering: it steers like a dream!! I was able to steer it one-handed with my 3yo seated in it. A true feat! Much better than my single Aprica or my double Mac.

3. Recline: I was disappointed that it didn't have full recline but I felt like the recline would be good enough from about 3 mos. on up.

4. Basket: You can't reach the basket when the seat is reclined. An inconvenience but not of extreme importance to me.

5. Canopy: I had no problems at all snapping on the canopy. It worked great. I've never been a big canopy user so I'm not too concerned about it.

6. Size: I agree with Melanie completely...the size is on the skimpy side. Wesley's head was actually touching the canopy when I tried to put it over him. Granted he is tall for his age but I don't see us being able to use this stroller when the baby is 3. He completely filled it up but did seem pretty comfy and like it. Of course, I'm planning to use it with the baby not with him!

7. Fold, brakes, etc: The fold mechanism worked really well and it folded up small enough for my purposes. It's fairly lightweight which I liked (I could easily lift it with one hand and I'm 8 mos. pregnant). The brakes and front swivel wheels both seemed to work really well.

Guess that's it from here. All in all, I'd say that I'm going to be extremely please with the London. My biggest two pluses are the great handle height and the steering...two problems we've had in the past.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000