PDA

View Full Version : Which stroller to buy?

loriwhite
03-03-2003, 05:09 PM
I am newly pregnant and looking into strollers. So far, I like the Peg Perego and Combi. I am looking for the lightest stroller I can find that also has an infant carrier system. I want the least cumbersome stroller out there! Does anyone have suggestions?? Thank you!!!!

momathome
03-03-2003, 06:23 PM
The 2 lightest Peg strollers that hold carseats are the Pliko (Matic, Sherpa, Trek, Bubble) and the Aria. The Pliko is a bit more substantial (nicer padding, more recline positions) but the Aria is definitely lighter and easier to push. Right now, the only carseat they technically hold is the Peg Primo Viaggio, which is kind of pricey at $150 for the features it has. The Graco Snugride is a nicer seat for the price ($59-99) and it does fit in the Pliko just fine - I've used this combo myself. I'm not sure if it fits in the Aria. Combi strollers are kind of a mixed bag for quality - some people really like them and others complain of breaking parts. The lightest Combi stroller to take a carseat is the Ultra Savvy. I love my pliko but of these 3 strollers, it is probably the heaviest at about 16 lbs. I have no problem pushing it or lugging it around and my baby loves it - we've been using it for 2 years. Good luck!
-Lauren

getbusyliving
03-04-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm going to get the Graco Metrolite. I know it doesn't get rave reviews on these boards, but I found I liked it much better than the Combi Perfect. It was very easy to fold up and much lighter than the Combi Perfect Match that I was comparing it to. And the Graco Snugride snaps in place easily. I haven't tried the Peg Perego, although I have heard good things about it.

hardysmom
03-04-2003, 03:38 PM
You will hear what I am going to write a lot on this Board-- ignoring it was the single biggest (most expensive) mistake I made while pregnant.

The single lightest, easiest, and least expensive "travel system" option is to get a Universal Carrier (Snap 'n Go, etc) to use with your infant seat for the first couple of months, THEN buy a real stroller once you have a better idea of what you really need. If you haven't seen them, they are a very basic frame & basket into which you snap the infant seat. They handle as well as the little light-weights you are considering and cost around (sometimes under) $50.

I know they aren't as sexy and fun as bigger strollers, but most babies outgrow their carriers 3-6 months. I know that probably sounds like FOREVER from now, but it will come very quickly. By contrast, a stroller might last 3-6 YEARS. You don't want a stroller which was great as a travel system for a few months, then sucky for its remaing (long) life as a stand-alone stroller.

It is true that babies shouldn't spend all-day in a baby carrier. If you also get a Baby Bjorn/Sling (highly recommended!) you probably won't find that to be an issue.

If you just really want to get a stroller (or friends want to get one for you!) I would still get the Universal Carrier as my lightweight/errand stroller and invest in a bigger neighborhood stroller with good wheels for all day stuff, walks, mall-crawl etc... The lightweights are not so good for that and you will be in a much better position to know what features you really want after you meet your baby.

Stephanie

casey118
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
I completely agree with Stephanie. My son is 3 months old, and just last weekend I used the stroller without the car seat for the first time (and that was only because I was away from home all day, and so I put him in the stroller for a nap). I think starting with the snap n'go is really smart, because then you can see how you will actually use your stroller. My son has also almost outgrown his infant carrier at 3 months.

That being said, I have the Combi Ultra Saavy and love it. I have the 2001 model, and while you will see a few posts about problems with Combi, I haven't had any and it sounds like they have been fixed (both with the stroller and customer service). It is really light weight and folds easily. I doubt that I will get another travel or umbrella stroller, because there wouldn't be much difference in size or weight from what I already have. I am also 5'6" and my husband is 6'1" and we can both push it easily without kicking the back of the stroller. At first I thought that the stroller seemed too light weight, but now that I am used to handling it I really like it. Also, any "wobbliness" is supposed to be for safety so there is less danger of it falling over. It does ok outside and on relatively smooth sidewalks, but I am getting a jogger for street running. I can fit my backpack diaper bag in the basket. It would be nice if it had a cup holder, but I added one for just a few dollars (rather than buying a bigger stoller for the cup holder).

I also have a Baby Bjorn which I use for walking and shopping where the stoller would be in the way.

A few of my friends have Peg Peregos and their reviews are mixed. The points that steered me away from the PP were that the basket is really small (Combi's is small too and somewhat inaccessible, but I can get my backpack diaper bag in it and my friend can't in her PP); the umbrella handles can make it difficult to steer with one hand (my friend is often carrying her 1 year old and then can't steer her stroller); and lastly, I wanted something really lightweight and the Peg Pliko is 16 or 17 pounds. If I had started with the snap n' go though I think I would have seriously considered the Aria.

SASM
03-06-2003, 12:46 PM
I am going to agree with the other girls about the Kolcraft UCSC. If you are newly pregnant and due at the end of the year, get this "stroller" because a lot of the manufacturers will be coming out with their 2004 models by then (and phasing out 2003s - SALE!) and one of those models might look better than anything that is on the market now. You will probably have a better idea of want you REALLY want/need AFTER you are strolling with the baby for a while. :-) Good luck.

Bird73
03-07-2003, 02:26 PM
These Universal Frames sound great, but WHERE can I buy them? The Snap n' Go does not seem to be available for purchase - even their own website leads you to Babies R Us which says it is discontinued! Any ideas? Thank you!!

Bird73
03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm going to ask you too, do you know WHERE I can find purchasing info on these? For some reason, I can't find any! Thanks!

Momof3Labs
03-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Try www.babycenter.com or www.babycatalog.com or even www.onestepahead.com. Target used to carry them, and USA Baby/The Baby's Room still does. The Kolcraft is better, IMO, but the Snap n Go is pretty good too.

danimom
03-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Just do a search on the web....here's one: http://store.yahoo.com/babyant/bv032094.html

here's another:
http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=8795&rc=mysimon8795

there is alway ebay.

hth

hardysmom
03-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Big stores like Babies R Us also carry them. Most people seem to like the Kolcraft better than the Snap n Go

Stephanie

egoldber
03-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Baby Depot stores (in Burlington Coat Factory stores) have them too.

HTH,