PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Aprica strollers – paging Nooknookmom

marit
03-04-2003, 12:41 AM
I think I want to buy an Aprica stroller, but their customer support said they do not have any dealers in northern California – so I’m counting on you guys for advice, before buying online!

My DD is 7 weeks old, and I’m currently using the Kolcraft and am very happy with it. The little piglet is already more than 12 lbs so this solution will end soon.

I am looking for a light weight stroller with 1 handle (which takes Pliko and the Macs out of the equation unfortunately). Aprica looks like a good solution but I’m very confused with all their models.

The pram first is 16.3 lbs – a little heavy.
The Milano Slim sounds great, but after searching the archive, I read that Nooknookmom said this is the only model where the front wheels don’t swivel (or was it the back wheels?) Why does this matter?
The A model also looks nice, but isn’t it too small for my baby?

I would love to get some advice…

Thanks,
Marit

Momof3Labs
03-04-2003, 01:05 AM
The Peg Perego Aria is very lightweight and has only one handle, so that may be another (less expensive) option for you. I wouldn't use it for day-long outings (only one position recline, not too cushy), but it is a great errand stroller.

parkersmama
03-04-2003, 11:00 AM
I have an Aprica (can't remember the model name) that I've had since my first ds was born (5 1/2 years ago!) and I've used and loved it with both kids. The front swivel wheels are mostly for tight situations where you are trying to steer (like in a mall or store). They make it a lot easier to make tight turns. Mine has a reversible handle so that it can be a carriage or a front-facing stroller and therefore has 4 swivel wheels. I always keep whichever set is the back set (depending on whether in carriage mode or stroller mode) locked and the front ones swivel. The only time this isn't practical (I've found) is when you're on a really bumpy or rocky surface. At that point it's really better to have them all locked.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

marit
03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Dear Lori,

Thanks for your suggestion. I do not like the way the aria reclines (with the zippers), besides I prefer something that reclines all the way back.

Marit

marit
03-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Dear Denise,

The Milano Slim has a revesable handle but only 2 wheels swivel. Do you think that is a deal braker? So why did they make it like that?

Marit

parkersmama
03-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I don't know. Having the wheels in front swivel makes it a lot easier to steer through stores and tight spaces. However, you will probably only use the reversible handle for the first few months until your baby becomes more interested in seeing the world and wants to face forward. You'll use it as a stroller for a couple of years after that and at that point you'd have the swivel wheels. I probably wouldn't let the wheel thing stop me if I loved everything else about the stroller. Otherwise, if that's on top of several things you don't really like, keep looking for a different stroller.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

hardysmom
03-05-2003, 03:06 PM
If the reversible handle is imporatnt to you and something you think you would really use (I did!) I would NEVER get a stroller without the ability to have all 4 wheels swivel!

Here is why-- when the handle is reversed, you lock the two wheels closest to you and make the two away from you swivel. If you don't, you can't turn. At all. You would have to "wheelie" the front wheels to go around a corner. That is OK if you are pushing a big jogger/pram but not somehting you want to do in a lightweight stroller with a newborn. So basically, the reverisble handle will be useless.

I have a Peg Milano with a reversible handle I LOVED and used all of the time for the first 6 months or so. It was my favorite feature. It is true that you won't use it as much as Baby approaches 1 year, so if the handle isn't a big selling point to you, the lack of front/back swivel wheels isn't a big deal. I have heard a lot of complaints about that model from parents who got it imagining using it reversed, then realized they couldn't.

For me, it would have been a dealbreaker. Aprica makes several other full-featured strollers which might be better.

Stepanie

Nooknookmom
03-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Howdie! Here I am the Aprica nut,

The Milano Slim has 4 swivel wheels + reversible handle. :)

The Pram First (leopard model) is the one that the rear wheels do not swivel...DO NOT get a reversible handle stroller where there are not 4 swivel wheels, it will drive you nuts! My first stroller had only 2 swivel's and a rev. hdl. The buckle was awful, the basket fell off, and it had no padding (it was a Graco and got sold to a new family at a yard sale).

Sorry...I got side tracked by Star Search, lol.

Aprica's kinda have a cult following...folks either love 'em or hate 'em. As I have written b4 I absolutely adored both of mine. I gave my larger model to a friend, still going strong after 7 years. It was very similar to the pram first (smaller wheels). But I still drag out my compact one for real long trips. Oh, and my kitty loves it so much I bet I am the only gal on my block whose cat will go for stroller rides! :7

One of the best sites I have found to view Aprica's is
www.netkidswear.com I am sure that there are much better prices to be found elsewhere, but this site really has a complete selection to view all the models and their dimenstions, etc.

Personal opinion: "I" wouldn't use an Aria with such a small baby. Recline is too upright, padding is nil, and the stroller "feels" too plasticky to last very long. Sorry if I offended anybody, don't boo me-lol.

Congrats and happy strollering. If you have any specific questions just ask.

HTH - Trina, STILL ttc#2 ;)

Nooknookmom
03-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Bump ;)

firsttimemama
03-06-2003, 09:50 PM
The Milano Slim only has 2 swivel wheels- I am sure of this since I ordered it and sent it back for this reason!

The Pram First has 4 swivel wheels - I had this one too (and sent it back for other reasons)!!

I am one of those hate 'em people. I just didn't find them well made.

HTH,
Lisa

marit
03-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Dear Lisa,

Please share with us what you didn't like about the pram first. Why did you send it back? What don't you like about the Aprica strollers?

Marit

hardysmom
03-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Not Lisa, but I have spent some time with Apricas and considered getting one for my travel stroller.

People either love or hate Aprica because they don't "feel" like other strollers. The way their suspension works they have a lot of give/flex in the frame. In comparison to more mainstream strollers, they feel more like the little Combi Ultra Savvy than, say, a Peg Pliko. To some people, this is unnerving and they feel the strollers feel flimsy (though they are not!) other people rave because they find their kids fall asleep from the gentle rocking/bounce.

The only other complaints I have heard about the Apricas are-- the models which don't have 4 swivel wheels make the reversible handle a pain, when reversed and fully reclined some people find it awkward to push (for reasons other than the wheels), and some long-strided parents felt the Aprica was too short.

They are very good strollers which do have a cultlike following, but people do seem to be very hot/cold on them. I like them. I would try to see IRL or have a back-up plan in case you want to return it. So far as specific defects go, EVERY brand has a dud here and there. Unless the same problem comes up over and over, take specific problems with a grain of salt.

A good customer service department will help you out easily and quickly-- In fact, I am about to send my Mac Vogue 2000 in for some tweaking as well. Go figure.

Stephanie

Nooknookmom
03-07-2003, 04:47 PM
ITA w/ Stephanie. Re the "feel" of Aprica's.

I apologize if I was wrong about the milano slim having 4 swivel's. I have not seen it IRL. Just have the catalogue.

However, I know FOR SURE from test drives that 2 models of the pram first have 4 double set, independant swivel wheels. It is only the "animal print" model that has two single non-swivel wheels on the rear of the buggy. Another plus about Aprica is that they guarantee their wheels (the hardest working part of the stroller) for LIFE. Their CS dept. is great as well.

I hope we have all helped you - this stroller thing can get WAAAY confusing. My problem is that I want them ALL - lol...

Have a nice day,

Trina ;)

marit
03-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Thank you all for your answers.

Aprica's customer service department is very good indeed. They answered my email a day after I sent it.

I got the following response:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for the email.
The Milano Slim only has the double swivel wheels in the front. The rear wheels are double but do not swivel. (Even though the handle is reversible.)
Two stores that carry most of our strollers are: Kidsland - 213-487-6121 and Kids Place Outlet - 714-962-4410.

If you have any other question, please feel free to email us or contact our
customer service representative at 310-639-6387.

Sincerely,
Aprica Customer Service

firsttimemama
03-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Sorry It took so long to respond!

I sent back The Pram First for several reasons.

I am 5'4" and kicked the back wheels (very low handlebar).

When revering the handlebar it wasn't snapping in place properly, I had to do it several times to get it to stick.

The folding mechanism had the same problem of not snapping into place.

The side-to-side suspension was not my problem, I thought that was cool. But all the plastic parts seemed to be poorly made.

I'm curious, does anyone who loves their Aprica have a recent model???

Lisa

McQ
03-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I have the Pram First and so far think it's great. It's not too heavy, it's easy to fold and swivels very easily. And I agree the "shakiest" isn't because it's poorly made it's because it's well designed to rock your baby. Love the reversible handle and the seat seems so comfy. As far as prices, I found the best at www.arunningstroller.com $349 no shipping/no tax. Good luck.