PDA

View Full Version : Mac Vogue or what else?

khakismom
03-04-2003, 11:57 AM
I desperately need help! I need a liteweight, easy-to-steer stroller, but I know nothing about what I should get--Mac? Pliko? Zippy? I know nothing about Macs, and I know there are tons of experts on this board :). I hate my Combi Travel Savvy--the steering is awful, the brakes deploy by themselves at the worst possible moment, and it's so short on me that I'm hunched over and always kicking the back of it. Even my mom told me yesterday that she hated it too x( .

What I am looking for: Easy-to-steer, lightweight, great for running errands (and possibly for traveling too), good for tall parents (I am 5'11" and DH is 6'3), good for 30 lb tall toddler (and possibly new baby soon), under $300 (preferably under $200), and something that I can use for a few years.

Does this exist? And is it a Maclaren? They seem to have a huge line and I don't know the difference between them all--although I love the look of the Vogue. Help please! What do you love? I'm really not sure what to do. TIA!!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Baby girl EDD 6/12/03

hardysmom
03-04-2003, 01:42 PM
A Vogue might be the best choice for you, but there are a couple of other options.

Lately, there have been a lot of comments about the 2003 Maclarens-- On one hand, the seat seems flatter (which makes them more comfortable) but on the other hand, they don't seem to be made as well as the older models.

You might consider buying an older model on Ebay (I have a Vogue 2000 I really like). Younger babies (under 9 mo or so), thend to slump uncomfortably in the angled seat on the Macs. I use mine MANY times a day for in/out of the car errands. DS (at 15 mo) isn't super comfortable in it so if I am going to be out all day (or when travelling) I take something else. Some kids don't mind the seat though... it is tough to know until you have the chance to use it.

A Chicco 2002 (Training, Deluxe, LX) might also be a good choice for you. Chicco is odd-- they "split" their line and continue to make "high-end" strollers under the 2002 name, then another "lower end" line for wider distribution (London/Fly, Ponee, Caddy) Tall parents seem to like the Chicco 2002s. They have steering which is often compared to Macs, are durable, have a flat seat/napper bar, and adjustible handles. They are a bit heavier (around 18-20 lbs) than a Vogue, but travel well (compact, umbrella fold) and seem to be a great general use stroller. The wheel base is also wider than a mac so they don't seem as tippy. You can find them online for about $150. Some, without the napper bar, are around for less. It can also be used with a Buggy Board. The wieght limit is listed at 33lbs, but the seat is roomy and many parents use it with much heavier toddlers.

The Inglesina Zippy/Swift may be too short for you. Some people with long strides say they kick the wheels.

Kidco may also be a good option for you. I haven't pushed one and I don't think the quality is as high as Maclaren, Inglesina, or Chicco, but they can be found under $100 and several tall parents seem to like them.

Stephanie

momathome
03-04-2003, 04:47 PM
I think babyage.com had the Vogue on clearance for $150 - it's last year's model. I have a 2001 Vogue that both my 6' tall husband and I love. It works just as well for our 24lb 2 year-old as it does for our 37lb 5 year-old! Steering is unbelievably great, it reclines enough for a nap, LOVE the pocket on the back of the hood - just an all-around great stroller. Good luck!
-Lauren

MelissaTC
03-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Our mainstay stroller is a Peg Perego Atlantico but I wanted a lightweight, easy fold stroller that both I and my DH (6'1") could push. Had to be comfie for my DS and had to handle well. I bought a Kidco Elan stroller and LOVE IT! My DH really likes it because he can adjust the handles to his height and he doesn't kick the wheels. It takes up virtually no space in my Explorer and I was able to buy it for $40 brand new off of ebay. I have been really happy with it. Just thought I would share...

memedee
03-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Try the z street by Zooper.
Great steering,very cushy and suitable from birth.
Also has a bar for infant carrier which removes and is replaced with a soft bar which Maclarens do not have..
Lazars in Chicago has it.
I think it is around 200 dollars.

memedee
03-04-2003, 11:52 PM
http://zooper.com/products/goanywhere/zstreet/default.htm
Here is the link for Z street

khakismom
03-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for all their help! I ended up getting a brand new 2001 Vogue on eBay, and for a great cost (much less than I was expecting to pay).

Can't wait to get it! Thanks again--you guys are great!!

...Maureen