PDA

View Full Version : Question about swivel wheel, side-by-side doubles...

nohomama
03-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I've posted this on the Stroller Swap board as well and am hoping that between the two boards I'll get some answers/suggestions. My question is this: are there any other swivel wheel, side-by-side double strollers besides the MB Urban and the InStep Safari/Schwinn SC900? I'd love to have an Urban Double in navy, but I'm afraid it's not in the budget. I've seen the single Safari and it looked pretty spiffy but I can't find the specs on the double and wonder about the quality of its construction and durability. Is there something else out there between $170 and $500 for me to consider? I've seen the Kiwi Explorer online but I'm not interested in the tandem design.

hardysmom
03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Are you only interested in SBS all-terrain strollers? Almost all "everyday" SBS's have front swivel wheels.

Stephanie

egoldber
03-04-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm not aware of any. As you probably know, I have a Safari single. I have been very pleased with the overall quality of the stroller. I have two friends with single Instep joggers and they both love them. I also know someone with a double Instep "regular" jogger, and they are very pleased as well. Personally, I think that Instep makes a very nice product for the price point that they sell at.

HTH,

nohomama
03-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I should' ve been more clear. Yes, I am only interested in all-terrain SBSs. I want to be able to use the stroller for trail hiking, walks on a bike path, gravel roads, etc., but want one with a swivel wheel that enables me to use it around town as well.

Because the Urban can be used with the wheel fixed but also steers well when it's not and is narrow enough to fit through doors make it seem ideal for my purposes. Right now I need to be able to use this stroller with two toddlers but the ability to adapt it so that it can be used with a toddler and a newborn also makes the Urban appealing. Unfortunatrly, I can't justify the price tag to myself, my partner, or my checkbook.

I've yet to find specs on the Double Safari but I've been led to believe that it might be too wide to fit easily through doors. Definitely a minus since a third to half of the time this stroller will be used for shopping/strolling around town.

egoldber
03-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Have you tried e-mailing Instep? They have responded promptly to my e-mails in the past.

HTH,

nohomama
03-04-2003, 09:19 PM
I emailed them yesterday and haven't heard back.

Edited to add: I just saw the Schwinn's width listed at 32" (3" wider than the Urban) buy a seller on ebay. Anyone know how wide doors generally are?

susabusa
03-05-2003, 10:34 AM
http://www.pramsonline.com/us/allterrain.htm

They don't have the price listed, but it is on the page of strollers that they are willing to ship to the US. I think this is a German made stroller, so you may also be able to find a deal on German Ebay

I also saw this cool one on British ebay -- it is a tandem, not a SBS, but seems to have more room for the kids than the Kiwi Explorer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14742&item=2310569140&rd=1

Steph

MamaKath
03-05-2003, 11:22 AM
The Kiwi has a great setup in comparison to that one though. It doesn't look like the back child has much view at all in that. In the Kiwi they have a great view on the sides that is uninhibited. Also on a Kiwi the seats are a really good size (those looked small to me). The back child's feet sit in the storage basket, but you can still use it. We also added panier/ saddle bags to ours (could only get blue, kind of clashes with the forest green, lol) for additional storage space.

Just some added thoughts on the Kiwi! It is really a great stroller that should get considered more often.

JMHO

pamela mom of 3
03-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi Kath

Gotta ask for just my burning curiousity lol :)

You had said{not here but PP} the back seat weight is 30lbs max, may i ask whom is suppose to go in the back then? I mean my 2yo is almost 30lbs and my 4yo is 35lbs.

Is their no canopy for the back child, i have to find a picture that shows one for the back..maybe their is and no pics anywhere?

What about recline? only the front seat does or?? does the back at all.

Not meaning to be picky i guess i just keep seeing it and thinking hey it's cool but no matter how much/hard i read it won't work if you have older kids who ride or if no rear hood where you have winter LOL

Maybe i am wrong..cool if so fill me in please ;)

TIA!

Rachels
03-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Double stroller? Is there anything we should know about?
:)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

MamaKath
03-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Hi Pamela,

I didn’t know of you interest in the Kiwi when I posted a response regarding the double on Ebay UK. I had thought you had all your all terrain needs met with the various Mountain Buggy strollers. I don’t think with kids ages 2, 4, and 6 that all still ride it would be the best option for you. But it is a great stroller for someone with younger kids, like these posts referred to.

HTH

nohomama
03-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Definitely not! I've always thought if we had another child we'd try to space them about 3 years apart. Lola was 18 months on Tuesday and the idea of starting the whole process of trying to conceive around her second birthday seemed too soon.

I'm just interested in a double stroller for carting around Lola and the other toddlers in our child care co-op. My body protests evertime I lug one around in the backpack and push one in the stroller at the same time.

nohomama
03-06-2003, 02:25 PM
I heard back from InStep yesterday and for anyone who's interested, here are the weight and dimensions of the Double Safari:

weight 29lbs
folded 32.5\"x 32\"x 16\"
assembled 51\"x 32\"x 39\"