PDA

View Full Version : Why are stroller seats so rock hard??? Help me find a good new stoller!

daisymommy
03-04-2003, 11:29 PM
I am in the market for a new stroller. My Graco Sterling Literider is driving me nuts! I like the Graco Quatro, but find that the seat adn seat back are so hard, I'd feel horrible putting my DS in it for any length of time (such as a trip at the mall.) But then I went adn looked at other high end strollers (Combi's, Peg Perego's, Maclarens)and noticed they were all hard too. Why no soft cushy-tooshy padiing? Anyone find a way around this? Such as a padded insert for your stroller? Or a really soft stroller I should look at? Here are my specs for a new stroller if anyone can help me!

-Must be able to get into large basket even with seat reclined.

-At least 3 recline positions that are NOT done with strings or straps (which must be perfectly alined to keep the seat straight!)

-When folded, only the wheels touch the ground (ie. the tray doesn't slam into the ground!)

-seat& backrest can accomodate a large baby and well into todlerhood (Josh is 6 months old and about 23 lbs.)

-I prefer the back of the seat and rear fabric hood to be connecetd, so air doesn't blow in from behind and over my DS's head.

-COMFY!

-$150.00 or less.

Thanks for your opinions

Rachels
03-05-2003, 11:50 AM
This Bowron sheepskin insert is WONDERFUL-- click the link and scroll down to see it. There are less expensive options, too, but this is the best I've tried:

http://www.juliestuff.com/pages/Lambies.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

strollerqueen
03-05-2003, 01:33 PM
My Chicco 2002 fits all your criteria, except the canopy snapping onto the seat. I think my Roma has that? The Peg Roma does all the rest, too. It is the model that was before the Venezia. So maybe check that one out, too. Aside from my prams, these are my "cushiest" models.

Momof3Labs
03-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Yes, the Roma hood does attach to the back of the seat. I picked one up, gently used, on eBay for $70 - much better than paying $300 for a new Venezia!

LisaS
03-05-2003, 03:47 PM
I second the Bowron sheepskin - love it so much that I have 2 - 1 for my Mac and another for my Emma (which is very cushy, but the sheepskin makes it warm). It makes the Mac seem very cushy, and I've also used it in the car seat, in the swing, in the bouncy, as a playmat if we were out. It is well worth the $. And now, I've seen them in pink and blue in addition to natural color.

daisymommy
03-05-2003, 04:23 PM
I just scanned ebay and found a Roma I may bid on, as well as the Chicco Cortina. Here in Virginia, I know of no place to look at nice higher end strollers (only BRU here with it's Gracos, Evenflos, and Coscos!) so I'm a little scared to bid on something I've never seen IRL. Have you ever seen a Cortina? It looks about 4 feet off the ground (between seat and basket). Is the seat height adjustable? Do you know if either of these strollers is too big to fit in the trunk of a Taurus?
Thanks everybody!

daisymommy
03-08-2003, 11:09 PM
When you said your Chicco 2002 fit my criteria, which 2002 model were you refering to? There are several! (FLY, Ponee, Deluxe). I'm assuming you meant Deluxe? And the seat is soft and coushy? Could it be used well with a 6 month old? Or is it more of a umbrella style for an older child?

memedee
03-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Would you use this in the spring and summer as well?

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Any of the Chicco 2002's woulld work for you, IMO - they are basically the same except the fabric. It is very similar to a Pliko in cushiness, seating position, but steers much better. I use either my Chicco 2002 or my Pliko for our 5 month old, so I'm sure that they would work for your 6 month old.

strollerqueen
03-09-2003, 04:49 AM
It is very confusing. The 2002 IS the model name, followed by adjectives such as "Deluxe", "LX", "Training", etc. They change the adjectives each year, but the model has been called the 2002 for at least the last 3 years! Mine is called 2002, for example, but was manufactured in 2000!

Forget the Fly, Ponee, London, Caddy, etc. These are different models, not what you are looking for.

The 2002 is nearly identical to the Peg Perego Pliko. WHich, by the way, you might also like. Either of these can be used from birth on up. My nearly 5 yr old still fits in my Chicco. The main differences are that the Pliko has rear footsteps which some, but not all, older children like to ride on. The CHicco steers and turns WAY better, easily with one hand. That is because it has rotating handles, which you can adjust to fit you. NOT height adjustable, these actually swivel. Very cool. Also has a 3-level adjustable suspension.

My Peg Perego Roma doesn't push nearly as well, and does not fold umbrella style, like the Pliko and Chicco. But it is nicely padded, and the handle reverses so you can face your baby. It also has a footboard for older children to ride on.

Rachels
03-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Apparently people say it's fine in warm weather.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

daisymommy
03-09-2003, 04:35 PM
How bizarre! It does sound like the Chicco 2002 would be better than the Pliko or Roma for me (too big), but don't know which one! Anyone have a preference? I really like the pram/larger style stroller, but only have the space of a Ford Taurus trunk to fit it into. I don't use me stroller to get around town, only the shopping mall, into stores without toddler seats on their grocery carts, and short neighborhood walks (all paved sidewalks). So, my needs for a stroller and probably different than you New Yorkers. Any ideas?
Thanks again,

egoldber
03-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Amy, you could try going to BRU and seeing if a folded Pliko fits in your trunk. If the Pliko fits, the Chicco will most likely fit. And while I love my Chicco, and I think it is plenty plush, if you don't think the Pliko is plush enough, you won't think the Chicco is plush either. You may be better off getting an insert.

And I use my Chicco 2002 Deluxe all over Northern VA all the time! It is a great shopping and mall stroller. It's amazing how many shopping bags one can hang off the handles. :)

Also, the Chicco does NOT have a child tray if that is important to you. I have a ClickNGo cupholder ($6 at BRU) attached to mine to hold my drink. I attach a sippy to the stroller for Sarah by using one of those straps designed to hold pacifiers.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 06:15 PM
It sounds like the Chicco would work well for you. Don't worry about which model (trekking, lx, etc.), just find a fabric that you like for a price that is right. There is a Fly 2002 on eBay right now starting at $45 (that looks exactly like my lx trekking - go figure), and www.babyuniverse.com has several patterns on sale for about $150 shipped.

And it would be a good idea for you to look at a Pliko first - the features are similar, the fold (method and folded size) are similar, the weight is comparable, and so is the plushiness, as Beth mentioned. But the Chicco steers so much better, and the handles are more adjustable.