PDA

View Full Version : Second Stroller

mamagoosie
03-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Help! I need to figure out the best plan for a "second stroller." Here's the deal: Right now, dd is still in her carseat/univ.carrier setup. We have a Mac Techno XT that we received as a shower gift. I took it out for a spin around the neighborhood and discovered that is is horrible on uneven sidewalks (duh, say you veterans). I figure it will stay in the car as a good "errand stroller" when she outgrows her snugride.

So, I'm in the market. Ideally, I would like a stroller that is
A) good for powerwalks
B) more plush than the Mac Techno and can therefore be used for all-day outings
C) not too big heavy (I'm 5'0, kind of a wimp, live in a smallish condo in Washington DC and drive a Honda Civic)

So far, I'm thinking either:
1. Zooper Buddy (A and B but not C)
2. The MBUS (A and C but not B)
3. Teutonia Y2K (A and B but really not C)
4. Pliko Trek (C but possibly not A and B)

Is the above correct? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance stroller oracles!

Alex, mom to Louisa 11-26-02

Rachels
03-05-2003, 09:14 PM
You might also look at the InStep Safari and Jeep Liberty. Also, ask around about steering-- it's a weak point for the Pliko. And if you just need to beef up the plushness, try a Bowron sheepskin stroller pad. They're terrific.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

heidi_timms
03-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Hello!

I just got a Zooper Buddy. We tried it at the Right Start and it seemed to handle well. Well my DD isn't here yet and I haven't tried it at home yet, so I can't help you there. It's really plush, comes with nice accessories and features-reversing seat, boot, hand brake, cooshy padding, and three wheels.

Right Start was giving out coupons that are good for only this week at their stores. We got ours 20% off because Zoopers weren't one of the excluded items. I'm not sure how often they give these coupons out though.

Heidi

hardysmom
03-06-2003, 12:29 AM
You are on target about the Y2K. I did a very long review on the Parents Place 200th Board if you want to check it out.

http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppstrollers200/

My walking partner has a Buddy which is also very nice, but you are right, it is heavy and I don't find its fold to be so great.

Here is what I would do-- I would try to get an Emmaljunga off ebay (I also have a Husky) or see if Heritage Baby have any left. You really can't go wrong with them and they have everything you are looking for. The "Sportier" models (EC, EC Sport, Husky, etc) weigh about 25 lbs, fold easily, and are self-standing when folded. I keep mine in a tiny closet. It would easily fit in the back of a civic. They are VERY cushy, almost prammy. I would put Emmaljunga closer to the quality of a Tuetonia than a Zooper, which is saying a lot. Not that Zoopers are not very nice as well!

Because Emma is no longer sold in the US, you can get a Husky on ebay for under $100. That is an amazing deal. The newer models, like the Sport, were going NIB for $130! I believe there may be a couple on Stroller SWAP right now as well.

They are also reviewed on the 200th Board. Look under "All-Terrains." Your other choices are probably there as well.

HTH Stephanie

jenmcadams
03-06-2003, 08:39 PM
I love my Zooper Buddy, but as a former Honda Civic driver, I might steer clear of the Buddy. It doesn't fold very compactly (and doesn't lock w/o removing the front wheel) and takes up a good portion of my SUV storage space.

It comes with lots of accessories, is plush, sturdy and great on lots of surfaces, but it's heavy and not very compact.

HTH!