PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for twins

Cindder
03-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi, I'm expecting twins the end of May and I need a stroller. I heard tandem strollers were better/easier than the side by side ones. Is this true? Can anyone recommend a brand for me? Thanks for your help!

Deanne

Tondi G
03-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Most people who buy tandems in the beginning end up swapping for a SBS later on! Most people with twins would buy the tandem to be able to accomodate infant seats but Baby trend has come out with a new double snap and go (check www.rightstart.com) that will take almost any infant car seats!!!! I would recommend looking into getting one of these and a SBS for later.... either a Mountain Buggy Double Urban, Peg Perego Aria Twin, Combi Twin Savvy, Inglesina Twin Jet, or Maclaren Twin Traveller! For a less expensive option have a look on e-bay at the Graco Duo-lite... it is discontinued and selling for around 100 bucks!

For tandems my recommendation would be look at the Baby Trend Caravan Lite (also carried at the the Right Start) this one can take infant seats and both seats recline (many tandems front seats do not recline!) also have a look at the Peg Perego tender, or Graco Duo-Glider!

That should be enough to get you started... good luck and congrats on the twins!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

Cindder
03-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I looked at the Right Start Link and didnt see any Baby trend models? Am I doing something wrong? I have read so many reivews (went to Epinions)on twin strollers and my head is spinning! I definately prefer to get a tandem because I spend time in the mall to kill time. I am sure as the twins get older I will switch to a SBS, as you suggested. As far as the tandem goes, it seems the best features are; lightweight, easy to fold, ample size basket and easy accessibility to basket. But according to ratings on Epinions of various models many don't seems to carry all of these features. It seems the common complaints are; not easy to fold and too small of a basket.

Do you recommend Baby trend?

Thank you again for all your help!

Deanne

ps
I currently have a 1 year old who will be 15 months when my twin sons are born.

rosaphile
03-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Deanne, I'm also expecting twins in May. :) Congrats!!!

DH and I agonized over this decision too. We ended up making kind of an unorthodox decision - we bought a single stroller to start with and plan on getting an umbrella-type SBS later on.

The stroller we got is the Combi Perfect Match Convenience 6630. It's a sturdy, good-quality stroller with fully reclining 3-position seat and 5-point restraint. It also has the "Perfect Match" snap-on bar which lets you use most commonly available infant carseats with it. I found it for under $100 on [link:www.babystyle.com|babystyle.com], but I couldn't find it again the other day when I looked.... Combi's website is [link:www.combi-intl.com|www.combi-intl.com]. (Hope I did those links right....)

We figured we probably won't be going out with the twins that much anyway very early on, and when we do, we will put one baby in the stroller (either in the carseat or not, depending on where we are and what we're doing) and carry the other baby in a sling or front carrier. We like the idea of holding the babies a lot especially while they're young, anyway, and while they're so small it shouldn't be too much of a burden. When they get older and bigger, like I said we will probably go with a lighter, cheaper umbrella-style SBS for outings, but we haven't researched specifics yet.

HTH and best of luck with your twins! :)

Tondi G
03-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Oh I forgot the baby Trend strollers sold through the Right start on under the name SWAN... just the stroller that have nicer fabrics...sold in baby specialty shops! Here is the frame Snap and Go for twins! Just add two infant seat and Voila!

http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product_detail.cfm?TID=02384154150635930307031010&Site=baby&rs_section=Strollers&category=Twin%20%2F%20Multiple&GroupID=2173640&GroupTP=Model

For some reason I'm not seeing the Baby Trend Caravan Lite LX??? Hmmm. Maybe it is discontinued..... I'll look around and see if I can find one to show you the link! OK here I found it!

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=14708&rc=epinions14708

I'v heard from some who have this tandem that they like it.... the main thing I would look for in a tandem with twins would be that is takes 2 infant seats and that both seats recline.... there will be times when both babies want to sleep at the same time in the stroller!!! You want them to both be comfy! You can read some reviews on epinions too!

Good Luck!

Cindder
03-08-2003, 04:43 AM
Thank you so much for all your help!

twinsmommy627
03-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi Deanne,

I saw your post. I have twins (as evident by my posting name!). My g/b twins are now 8 months. I've been using the Duo Glider as they did not come out with the double snap and go until after I had the babies (of course). The Duo Glider has served its purpose in that I could snap both infant seats in. They are about to move into the next car seat and I don't love the front seat of the Duo Glider on its own for a baby. Graco designed it for a toddler. So I am shopping around for a SBS model.

I saw someone said they would be just using a single stroller but I did not find that standing at the side of the car, trying to put one baby in the Bjorn was doable. And unfortunately, you will have to go out by yourself with the babies sometimes (ie doctor if they are sick!)

So unfortunately I don't really have an answer for you. I think would go with a snap and go and wait and see what you want after.

Have you checked out http://www.twinsmagazine.com ? There is a message board with lots of nice people. There's a newborn and also first-year topics (along with others). I posted my stroller confusion there and got a lot of responses.

Also, have you looked into joining the twins group in your area? I can't remember the link but you can find it through the twinsmagazine home page. I strongly recommend it.

Wow, this turned out to be a long post. Must run to the grocery store now. And yes, I am excited about it because I get to be ALONE for an hour! :)

Lots of luck to you! you can email me if you want and I would be happy to help you with any questions. [email protected]

twinsmommy627
03-08-2003, 10:57 AM
email is [email protected]

I don't know why it came out so weird up above. It did it again! Well, anyway, the email is at the end after the >

HTH

Cindder
03-19-2003, 12:03 PM
"[email protected]"
Hi, is this your email address? I sent you an email and hopefully it will work.