PDA

View Full Version : using Baby Bjorn with small newborn

LucyG
03-06-2003, 01:11 PM
My baby weighed 6 lb. 5 oz. at birth, and was 18 inches. Two weeks later, I know she is bigger, but I'm not sure how much bigger. The Baby Bjorn specifies that it should not be used until baby weighs 8 pounds and is 21 inches long. I would never do anything to jeopardize my baby's safety, but I'm wondering if anyone has used the Bjorn with a smaller baby, just around the house. Have you found the weight/height requirements and limits on the Bjorn carrier to be accurate? It says it can be used for babies up to 25 pounds. Thanks!

sbirmantaz
03-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi there, my baby was 5# 15 at birth and I used the Bjorn when she was less than 7 pounds! No problems, even out. It always felt secure. Give it a try, just make sure you use the infant leg secure loops.

smomom
03-06-2003, 05:27 PM
I also used my Baby Bjorn when my son was technically just below the weight limit. Just make sure you have the infant leg buttons fastened and the head set secure for the rear-facing infants and it should be fine.

Rachels
03-06-2003, 07:20 PM
I had a tiny baby, too, and I used a sling. Have you tried that at all?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

LucyG
03-06-2003, 10:51 PM
I don't have a sling, but someone is loaning me one. Thanks for the replies on using the Bjorn with smaller babies. I think we'll try it!

zen_bliss
03-08-2003, 01:21 AM
also, if you are using an older bjorn that you picked up used or from a friend, be sure to get the free retrofit kit from baby bjorn -- it is a pair of 'wings' that closes up the leg space. apparently a few babies slipped out the side! look on the babybjorn website, there is a number to get the kit. they are super fast about sending it out.